Whatever new factions come along, that same ideal should be held to. So rather than doing an "oriental faction" that's just humans in different clothing, the faction would start with one of the many asian cultural philosophies, and build up in a logical fashion from there to fit the Warlord world.

My assessment of the situation would be that new factions would have to fill the following niches:

-Appeal to more than just Warlord players, in addition to such sales Reaper likely does a large portion of their Warlord minis sales to first painters, and secondly RPGers, so any factions need to have minis that have some sort of mass appeal.

-They have to be fun to play in the game, and the capability of being balanced and effective.

-And Lastly, there needs to be something unique about them in gameplay, meaning they have a combination of units or SA and Factions abilities that make them substantially different in gameplay to already existing factions.

Ultimately even if I was to have only the slightest of descriptions when designing a faction from bare bones (such as Kobolds), I believe I could fashion an effective and exciting background story to go with them as I built the faction up, and in tandem with creating a faction that would be enjoyable to play in the board (as good and important as fluff is, no one wants their faction to fall flat on the battlefield).

While I agree that 'Oriental' is just Humans in different clothing, remeber that Dwarfs were just Dwarfs, and Elves were just Elves until the Kragmar and Tembrithil were created. Meaning some of the existing factions, while they have great fluff, are still somewhat classic in their approach to fantasy stereotypes. But there are some factions that are very different and unique to the warlord setting; I'm just of the opinion that each one has its place. The more factions that get added, the fewer stereotypes there are to exploit, and the more unique factions that must be created if he game is to continue to grow. Gus and company have chosen, perhaps very rightly, to make the decision that once a faction is published it will not be changed or added to, it is pretty much complete (who knows, this might change eventially, but I doubt it will for a while).

Just thoughts, I don't disagree what you are saying, but at the same time I don't think generic descriptions are any less valid to discuss than very specific and unique ones. Even if those generic ideas just end up triggering people to give the topic a deeper look ('Heck, Kobolds seems awefully broad, I would do X to them to make them special). For instance, the idea of Kobolds has been posited, but there is nothing to say it couldn't be married to one of the other ideas presented, perhaps our Kobolds are also the primarily the rural peasants in Amalor Myrnnyx example, rising up against oppression, so does that make out Kobolds good, evil, neutral, we could still decide to make them any of the 3, and in defining that we could further add to a basic set of Kobold datacards. A faction of Kobolds, who are good-hearted, and whom have been oppressed to the point of civil revolt would look alot different than simply Kobolds, but Kobolds was the fundamental idea we may have started with, and many of a generic Kobold datacards we might have brainstormed would still be viable as the faction gained more details and direction.

Food for thought.

Keep the ideas coming! We don't have nearly enough to begin to justify another supplement.

So you mean keeping it familiar yet different? I think thats a good route to take.

Btw i would so play those peasant kobolds

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been toying around with a concept for an all spider army. It uses data cards from the Nagendra list. Then only thing that isn't correct would be base sizes. Fitting some of those spiders onto large and giant bases is tricky. I'm curious to see how much changing to larger base sizes will affect how the Nagendra play. I also have plans for unique FA and WA.

I hadn't really though about doing much with the list besides using it for local games. I just felt that since I already have a bunch of spider models, I can build it using data cards from one faction, and that Kim is scared of spiders, that this army just has to be made!

I've been toying around with a concept for an all spider army. It uses data cards from the Nagendra list. Then only thing that isn't correct would be base sizes. Fitting some of those spiders onto large and giant bases is tricky. I'm curious to see how much changing to larger base sizes will affect how the Nagendra play. I also have plans for unique FA and WA.

I hadn't really though about doing much with the list besides using it for local games. I just felt that since I already have a bunch of spider models, I can build it using data cards from one faction, and that Kim is scared of spiders, that this army just has to be made!

I played around the concept of an all animal army for No limits awhile ago. Lions, elephants rhinos snakes and the like all lead by a jungle spirit or nature avatar.

I'm curious to see how much changing to larger base sizes will affect how the Nagendra play. I also have plans for unique FA and WA.

You'd probably hamstring the army a bit, but I think it would still be fun, usually a larger base size proves to be somewhat of a negative to a model. But who cares really, if you enjoy playing it thats all that matters, and I don't think the change in base sizes would be so detrimental that it wouldn't be worth trying. I know I'd like to see it on the board, take pics if you get to field it.

Does Adon have jungles anywhere? I assume the jungle savage halflings was a jest—and they would not interest me. But if there was a jungle faction of some sort it ought to be in conjunction with other factions from torrid climes. I guess 'Warlord: The Jungle Book' ::P: would be a (bad ) working title (to be replaced by a better one) . . . ummm . . . Warlord: Afrika Korps? :devil: ?

Such a book could contain several 'hothouse' armies:

A Desert Lizards - Seas of Sand faction.

A human Desert Nomads faction.

A Human Jungle Hunters faction.

(all kinds of Chronopia / VSF crossover potential for the last two).

A centaurs of the Savannah faction. They hunt lions, the human part of the Centaurs does not look Euro / Graeco-Roman...

A voodoo (zombies), jungle witch-doctor (zombies), necromancer (zombies), there's-evil-most-foul here faction; with ZOMBIES!

A rhinoceros-men faction: Cavarly units two guys mounted on a Rhino, Half-Man half Rhinos starting with "3020 Barak", Balucitheriums...

Some sort of fresh take on short jungle dwellers: pygmies/jungle goblins/savage halflings [cringe :wacko:], garden-of-eden gnomes :devil: , tiki-mask-wearers ?

A jungle/reptiles/large dinosaurian faction.

Insert your improvement on this line...Add your better concept in this space....Attach your superior ideas starting here....

Bottom line: if it's to be jungle, go whole hog, theme the whole next book along those lines. (And feel free to strikeout the silly bits.)

After pondering this a bit after my last post, I realized one of the things I like about all the Warlord factions is that they aren't just a "hey, let's do a x faction based on y" with a bunch of cool miniatures designed around a single historical theme. All of them seem to start with a core idea, and build upon that idea in a logical fashion...

I concur with this Kristof. Very much.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kolbolds given this treatment. I'd like the core idea(s) to be:

-the original Germanic notion of Kobolds. (From which the element Cobalt derived its name.)

-small, subterranean creatures that be-devil human miners (or any other tunneling races).

-innately magical or supernatural by nature.

-they exist and are native to the Warlord World.

Build and extend logically from there . . .

I would like to see something original or a different twist on something classic. The Bacarathi and Dire Dead would be a good jumping off point.

The DHA fluff mentions a lot of things similar to suggestions here:

Halflings

Jungle Orcs

Desert Dwarfs

Skoli

Faeries, Brownies, Unicorns

Centaurs

Giant Intelligent Spiders

Bathalians

I like the Ape and peasant ideas.

Just thoughts, I don't disagree what you are saying, but at the same time I don't think generic descriptions are any less valid to discuss than very specific and unique ones.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is anything wrong with using a generic description as inspiration. Oriental humans is a great way to start brainstorming.

It's just that Warlord's factions have been very well thought out and unique takes from their first publication, while other games have spent years and multiple editions and in many areas are still just a stereotype.

Yeah

I thought I heard Gus talking about a Halfling/Fairy faction during Reapercon…..

Hmm. Fairy faction :rock:

Could be fun

I'm just impressed/relieved noone has linked Froggy's Awefulness Fairy.... yet

Edited by vejlin

Well I have suggested Kolbolds in the past , maybe even as far back as 3 years ago . :rolleyes:

Of course kobolds have been bantered around before, I never said they hadn't or that the idea was a unique or novel one, that is why I said it was an obvious choice. In fact, because it was an obvious choice and has been talked about before was exactly why I posted it. If we get behind a potential faction, I have no doubt that if another supplement is eventually put into the works, the 'people that be' will at very least consider what we have to say. So why not gather all the ideas again, even if only 1 or 2 ideas come to fruition.

I tried unsuccessfully to nudge stubbdog into making the Kobolds the goblin fodder of the Kargir or Korbolas early on.

I was really expecting more spiders in the DarkReach faction.

Kobolds - I had/have a homebrew army nearly done somewhere...

playtest:

http://www.evocommand.com/junk_delete_me/kobold_wip.pdf

feedback and mockery always welcome.

They look like an effective force, however my only 'complaint' is that they seem a bit more of the same. Nothing strikes me as being hugely unique to set them apart from the Noghra. It would be a really good starting point, but I think more would need to be done to make them feel special. A good effort. I've got a fair few ideas and datacards sketched out, lets hope the interest in Kobolds will mean they eventually come to fruition.