fishmen always seems popular, and I've never understood why. Don't get me wrong, I think fishmen are cool, but I don't see why/how they'd go fight on land.

The raid the coastal towns, of course! But I get your point. Its hard to explain Fishmen/Sahuagin/slithe fighting the Nefsokar in the desert or Icingstead far in the north, unless you bring in powerful (teleportation) magic or the like.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fishmen always seems popular, and I've never understood why. Don't get me wrong, I think fishmen are cool, but I don't see why/how they'd go fight on land.

The raid the coastal towns, of course! But I get your point. Its hard to explain Fishmen/Sahuagin/slithe fighting the Nefsokar in the desert or Icingstead far in the north, unless you bring in powerful (teleportation) magic or the like.

Granted, the same can be said of Razig right?

Granted, the same can be said of Razig right?

True. But there is already magic involved in the whole Razig theme. Maybe the maiden can fly ::D:

Its never bothered me because they equipped with legs/arms to move on land. I kind of look at them like reptiles and amphibians and water mammals... they are adept at either. Besides there are actual fish that live out of water and can even climb trees. So, if mudskippers can do it why not fantasy fishmen?

http://scienceray.com/biology/marine-biology/mudskippers-fish-that-walk-on-land/

They want their fish back ! Or they're sick of eating seaweed . :lol:

How about the Fishmen are no longer going to let Razig rule the seas uncontested?

I am sensing a potential theme for another book: Warlord at Sea: Sealords. (I'll get back to this further down**)

This is RG's Araby/Persians list sorted into numerical order but

omitting the Camelry and other wished for items:

02279: Chain fighters Of Jalahandra (soldier)

02297: Kaballah the Colossus (elite)

02388: Jalahandra Warrior (sgt)

02396: Jalahandra Warrior (soldier)

02406: Shadow Assassin (soldier)

02426: Aziz Al-Jawar (Warlord)

02436: Efreet (soldier)

02439: Hakir Pirate (soldier)

02447: Sallah, Arabian Hero (captain)

02497: Jasmine Silverveil (elite)

02586: Nabin, Desert Ranger (solitaire)

02602: Hakir Barbarian (soldier)

02927: Hassan, Genie (Warlord)

02970: Bladedancer (soldier)

03075: Sorceress on Flying Carpet (captain)

03241: Aroudj Firebeard (solitaire)

03254: Naseer, Genie of Hakir (Elite)

03265: Tierce, Male Rogue (sgt)

03322: Efreeti Emir (Solitaire)

14245: Dust Devil (Monster)

Rethink the above figure collection into an Arabic-Pirates / Persian-Freebooter faction. The Dust-Devil might not fit but otherwise it's a faction of Dancing Girls, Sinbad's Sailors, Genie's, Flying Carpets, and Efreets. What's not to like?

**Back to this potential theme for a new publication, the Sealords Factions:

Razig (undead pirates: pretty much complete)

+

Fishmen (mer-creatures, mermaids, dragon-turtles, sea-dragons, etc.)

+

Persian Pirates (as above: Dancing Girls, Sinbad's Sailors, Genie's, Flying Carpets, and Efreets: many figures already exist)

+

Merchant Princes (human/dwarf alliance for trade, re-use any [living, non-arab] sea-farer/pirate figures that exist)

+

Orc-Goblin Seagoing Freebooters (wonder where some orc figures could be found...)

+

Sky Pirates (What if all the figs from RG's list were arabic sky pirates? that would certainly explain the flying carpets and make the genies incredibly useful...)

+

???

Such a publication could also have a supplement to the standard Warlord Rules. It would involve sample deck-plans, and how to conduct boarding actions, cutting out expeditions, swashbuckling(!) but otherwise using the Warlord rules. It WOULD NOT be a set of Naval Rules (ship-vs-ship) it would be guidelines to use after two ships were locked together bulwark to bulwark. At most it would allow for longboats, galleys, cutters, and other small craft (ship's boats) to maneuver on the table / battle it out. (At the scales I'm envisioning: a 'galleon' that was 240 feet in length with a beam of 60 feet would take up 1/4 of the space on a 4x4 foot standard Warlord table; a ship's longboat that was 45 feet long with a 15 foot beam would be a model boat 9x3 inches.)

Anyway, I like the approach of expanding by adding groups of factions that fit together somehow. The stand-alone faction seems harder to design and harder still to convince others to buy. Also, I think it makes a lot of sense to make use of work already done: the list of Arabesque figures above is a faction waiting to happen. It needs data-cards and to have its background chosen.

Back to Vejlin's original query: it isn't the rules writer's job to explain how a battle between the Bloodstone Gnomes and Nefsokar, Elves vrs. Fishmen, or Pirates vrs Reptus comes about. That is the job of the players who arranged the scenario. It's up to them to setup the terrain that would be appropriate. Their job it is to decide that the Elves decided to sun themselves on a beach...thus ***angering the fishmen...or whatever.

***perhaps the sight of elf-chicks in bikinis maddens and infuriates fishmen :devil: who knew?

Back to Vejlin's original query: it isn't the rules writer's job to explain how a battle between the Bloodstone Gnomes and Nefsokar, Elves vrs. Fishmen, or Pirates vrs Reptus comes about. That is the job of the players who arranged the scenario. It's up to them to setup the terrain that would be appropriate. Their job it is to decide that the Elves decided to sun themselves on a beach...thus ***angering the fishmen...or whatever.

***perhaps the sight of elf-chicks in bikinis maddens and infuriates fishmen :devil: who knew?

Damn those puritan fishmen! ::D:

One thing i do like about a fishmen army is that it would allow developers to totaly design a faction of models from scratch with few or no pre-conceptions from other fantasy settings. Plus I love those slithe raider miniatures so much that they need to be incorporated into Warlord :)

As for background, perhaps the Slithe have long hindered coastal villages, but they have recently uncovered a magical artifact (or some other source) that allows them to create portals and penetrate deep inland? Who knows.

One thing i do like about a fishmen army is that it would allow developers to totaly design a faction of models from scratch with few or no pre-conceptions from other fantasy settings. Plus I love those slithe raider miniatures so much that they need to be incorporated into Warlord :)

As for background, perhaps the Slithe have long hindered coastal villages, but they have recently uncovered a magical artifact (or some other source) that allows them to create portals and penetrate deep inland? Who knows.

I like this. Maybe they only have a limited amount of time before the artifacts energy sucks them back in..something like 5 game turns or so :poke:

I've got many ideas, but I'll let other people explore the topic before I start bombaring the thread, I thought I's post the obvious one first however.

Let the bombarding begin. ::P:

Kobolds - I had/have a homebrew army nearly done somewhere...

playtest:

http://www.evocommand.com/junk_delete_me/kobold_wip.pdf

feedback and mockery always welcome.

They look like an effective force, however my only 'complaint' is that they seem a bit more of the same. Nothing strikes me as being hugely unique to set them apart from the Noghra.

Suggestions? With the low range of stats do to their weakness/size you don't have much wiggle room. I tried to vary them some from the goblins and gave a few poison since that tended to be semi-common in D&D. I contemplated a dragon for a warlord, but prior to Savage North didn't feel there were the breath weapon abilities to do it justice (Spray). I'd prefer a solid "red dragon" reminiscent of the old "Dragon Mountain" boxed set form 2nd edition.

I also like an Asian faction, utilizing Ninjas, Samurai as the upper end grunts, Eastern style dragon, kitsune (fox people types), etc; even have some samurai/code of bushido SA's

Like the idea of a Fire Giant faction as well, nice counterpoint to Icingstead.

Also like the Arabian faction idea. Nice potential with that.

How about a "clockwork men" faction? Maybe they have a certain amount of time to battle before the need to be rewound or something?

Or a faction commanded by a lone wizard and the army he/she commands would be made up entirely of golems or elementals centered around one of the four elements? I guess they would be of a "Merc"-like faction, not having an actual nation to represent.

. . . Also like the Arabian faction idea. Nice potential with that. . .

It's more than nice potential. With so many existing models already sculpted and produced it's like Reaper's missing a trick. There is a ready made human faction with some sort of Arabian-Persian theme hiding within the DHL line; just add data cards.

. . . How about a "clockwork men" faction? Maybe they have a certain amount of time to battle before the need to be rewound or something?

Or a faction commanded by a lone wizard and the army he/she commands would be made up entirely of golems or elementals . . .

I sure like the idea of a bunch of clock-work automatons. They could be released under the Chronoscope label. Why not blend these last two ideas? Call the mastermind that runs the show an Alchemist. Give him a late-medieval / renaisance / early-modern look. Put him and all his constructed or conjured minions under the Chronoscope label. There would be some potential for sales of such figures to folks interested in VSF, Steampunk or Gothic Horror besides and beyond being part of a Warlord faction.

Suggestions? With the low range of stats do to their weakness/size you don't have much wiggle room. I tried to vary them some from the goblins and gave a few poison since that tended to be semi-common in D&D. I contemplated a dragon for a warlord, but prior to Savage North didn't feel there were the breath weapon abilities to do it justice (Spray). I'd prefer a solid "red dragon" reminiscent of the old "Dragon Mountain" boxed set form 2nd edition.

I'll send you what I have sketched out in terms of a Kobold faction.