Sign in to follow this  
Dinoman87

Help starting dwarves...Please

Hi everybody. I've been trying to put together a dwarf list for warlord for a while now and I can't seem to get a 500 point list I like(probably becouse i'm not that expericened in write them). I now I want to use Herryk Aesir as my warlord, about two warriors, halberdiers for support, and thats as far as I got. I'm a rather defensive player so I guess a piercer or two would also help. So thats as far as I got with my list. Any help figuring out the rest would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everybody. I've been trying to put together a dwarf list for warlord for a while now and I can't seem to get a 500 point list I like(probably becouse i'm not that expericened in write them). I now I want to use Herryk Aesir as my warlord, about two warriors, halberdiers for support, and thats as far as I got. I'm a rather defensive player so I guess a piercer or two would also help. So thats as far as I got with my list. Any help figuring out the rest would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend checking out the Dwarves Faction thread for some ideas. Also post up in there what you have for models available and what you are likely to face. The folks there will be more than happy to help, and the post will be more likely to be seen since there are so many Faction threads pinned now.

Hey there Dinoman! Welcome to the Good Guys.

Herryk is a solid Warlord that really brings alot to your army. Good choice.

Check out this post and the links at the bottom of it for my take on all of the models in the Aizen Krahl Dwarves line. Hopefully some of it is useful to you.

So you've picked Herryk. The next thing to consider is which faction doctrine you'd like to play. As you mentioned that you prefer a more defensive style, perhaps you should consider the "Warriors of the Mountain" doctrine. In particular the ability "Staunch Defender" ought to be attractive to you - when your leaders, elites, and solos are attacked they get an extra melee attack for their defensive strikes. It's a seriously awesome ability. If you pick that ability, it'd be a good idea to fit in as many combat-oriented elites as possible to take advantage of the ability.

Here's an army I have put together to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Dwarves - 499 points

Troop 1

Herryk Aesir, High Cleric

Klaus Copperthumb

Durthen, Boarmaster

Durgam Deepmug

Warrior x 2

Halberdier x 2

Piercer x 2

Herryk is 6-12/3, meaning you need at least 6 soldiers and no more than 12, and you can take 0-3 elites. He's got exactly 6 soldiers and 3 elites, so this is a legal list. Durgam is your classic "hold the line" elite - solid stats all around. Durthen rides a boar, so he's got extra speed which can be handy. Sometimes you need to run down a caster or archer, and Dwarves aren't really the speediest army, so that mounted option gives you some good flexibility. Klaus is fairly non-standard for a Dwarf. While his low DV is somewhat offset by his Dodge/2 ability, it's still best to keep him tucked in behind your army. Use him mid/late game to assassinate a key enemy model, and in the meantime his multiple short-ranged range attacks to pick away at wounded enemies so your melee troops can work on fresh targets.

Your warriors are solid choices. I heartily approve of warriors. Halberdiers are also solid, and as you dig deeper into the game you'll appreciate them more and more. For now, enjoy the extra attack and the opportunity for easy support bonuses. Try to get them behind Durgam or Herryk when you need to demolish a key enemy, as those extra attacks and the support bonus go quite a long way. Piercers are a good choice and they force the enemy to come to you. If you start pegging enemy models from range while holding your troops back, they'll have to charge in. At that point you'll be able to use your Staunch Defender ability to make them pay for engaging you.

Herryk just brings so much to the table! His Runic Hammer ability allows each model to re-roll a failed Discipline check once per activation. Use this to keep your morale up when your Piercers or Klaus shoot an enemy that is in B2B with an ally, or when you're needing to charge something that forces a Discipline check. It may not sound like a big deal, but it really is since those situations often sway the battle in big ways. As a spellcaster Herryk is top notch. There are only a handful of casters better than he is, and none of them are Dwarves. At first focus on using his healing spells to keep your forces in the fight. As you get more comfortable with him, spells like Mire, Wall of Stone, and Molten Earth will become very useful. Herryk is good in melee but he's not awesome, so don't expect miracles from him. If you must attack an enemy with him, see if you can use Mire on the target first to mitigate Defensive Strikes.

Again, welcome to the Dwarves, and feel free to ask any more questions you have! Qwyk is right that the best place to pursue more answers is directly in the "Dwarves" faction thread. There are several perfectly valid points of view on this faction. I've given you mine, but you won't want to miss the others - especially WildBill's!