Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Bebop, Miyazaki, and Whedon oh my!

I've found that as I've gotten older I have less interest in Anime than I once did, but there are still a few titles that I enjoy watching. I really enjoy almost anything that Miyazaki has a hand in, and I would like to see the Earthsea project his son (I think) was involved in. I took some vacation for an extended weekend, but have been sick the whole time, so I ended up watching a lot of dvds and television. I watched the Firefly series, and today I re-watched Cowboy Bebop. Firefly was actually a pretty decent show, I'm amazed it didn't catch on better than what it did. I was also kind of irritated that it only ran for 14 episodes, and kind of left it hanging. I was pleasantly surprised that Bebop is as good as I remember it being, since so many things that I've tried to revisit don't seem to, and I picked up a lot of things from it that I didn't get out of it the first time I watched it however many years ago.

It's always interesting to hear the opinions you guys put forth, so please feel free to chime in on any of the above subjects, or expound them.

I guess I missed the boat on it, as I seem to with most things, because I didn't ever hear about it until long after the fact (witness my just now watching the series).

With regard to anime, the phrase "90% of anything is crap" is just as appliciable here as it is anywhere. I am thoroughly convinced that the Western anime market is much more driven by Western fans, and the Japanese tailor their releases with the foreign market more in mind than they did, say, 10 or 15 years ago. I always have the sneaking suspicion that the really good stuff is stuck in Japan...

Damon.

I just finished rewatching Macross, which I haven't seen in its entirety since it aired as Robotech in the 80's. I think I actually enjoyed it more as an adult.

Sadly, I had completely forgotten about Macross, and it always was a little beyond my ken when I was a grub. I'm pretty sure my sole interest in it at the time spawned from the whole "giant robot with guns" angle. Maybe I should check it out, and see if it makes more sense to me now.

The one thing I still found true was that Lynn Minnmei is still annoying. Although as an adult, I could at least recognize her purpose in the series.

I'll probably be revisiting Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato soon as it's coming up on my Netflix Queue.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell years ago, I may check it out again. I'll look into the others, always interested in new stuff.

I remember watching Cowboy Bebop on Cartoon Network years ago. It was great fun, and I've watched the entire series twice since (having gotten the DVD's as gifts from family).

The other one that I really like that hadn't lost its shine for me was Trigun, but that's all because I like the awkward hero angle they went with.

A for Firefly/Serenity/other Browncoat stuff: I want it back on the air! I think it would've been the best show on TV for a long time!

/d