Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Bebop, Miyazaki, and Whedon oh my!

I'll second the Black lagoon recommendation.

For starters, it exists outside of the typical anime boxes of high fantasy, dystopian future, and anachronistic present. There are no giant robots or animal-human hybrids. There are a couple cute kids, but they hold their story arcs well, and the twins are just the creepiest things ever.

It revolves around the crew of the Black Lagoon, a PT boat (like the ones Pres. John F. Kennedy served on) whose crew does work mostly for the various criminal elements of Roanapur (I want to say Thailand, I could be wrong... it's definitely SE Asia) and the misadventures that come into their lives because of it. I love a good anti-hero, and the crew definitely qualifies. Given their occupations, they run into all sorts of unsavory criminal elements. Gangsters of many nationalities have taken up residence in Roanapur, and they drive the underground. The supporting cast are a diverse bunch; the major support cast are well done, minor recurring characters are played just right, and the "redshirts" of the series, well, just be glad it's not you.

Fair warning to the easily offended: The only thing flying out faster than the F-bombs (english dub) are the bullets. Also, the various characters like to drive recklessly (cars and boats), drink heavily, chain smoke, and engage in unlawful behaviour of many sorts. To be honest, this constitutes about half the show's charm for me. For the other half, you'll have to check it out: I'm not spoiling it.

It sounds like something I might enjoy, and points to you for the gratuitous historical reference. I'm a huge history buff.

When I was a lad, everyone called this sort of stuff "Japan-imation", and we liked it!

"Anime" just sounds French to me. I have no beef with France; it's just misleading is all. The old name said what it meant.

(shakes cane curmudgeon-like from rocking chair on porch)

Kang

In my humble opinion, many of the current "good" series tend to pass under the radar. Then again I tend to enjoy obscure fantasy series. Aside from that... I'll third Black Lagoon.

FUNimations been getting some good titles lately though. You can watch them on their own channel on YOUtube or on their site. A few new series that are really good are House of Five Leaves (a historical drama about a group of professional kidnapper, has some the best art I've seen in a LONG time) and Eden of the East (a romantic/conspiracy anime from the director of Ghoct in The Shell S.A.C has unbelievably solid animation.)