Sign in to follow this  
fullmoon

Warlord abroad

This topic for talking about Warlord outside USA.

I start: France. I live in Rosny sous Bois, near Paris. We have a lot of skirmish games in France, some of french origin and the market is very (too much?) fragmented. Some times ago, Confrontation was the big one in skirmish play but now it is over.

I discovered Warlord when i bought my first reaper mini for a roleplaying use. I tried it, i was hooked instantly. There are not many Warlord players in France, so i try to convert my friends to the game, with a small amount of success, for now. We are four players in the neighborhood. I'm planning to make a demo in a parisian club next month.

Warlord greatest asset is playability: i took me twelve minutes to explain the rules before playing last time i introduced a noob to the game.

Anyway, if you come to Paris, send me a mail, i will gladly play with an oversea opponent ^_^

Here in Denmark people who try the game tend to like it, but gravitate towards games with more players. So you'll have the weird situation of a lot of people playing GW games, not because they prefer the systems but because it's where the opponents are to be found. I have a small group of people who play Warlord occasionally but it has never really achieved "critical mass" to really spread. Mostly I think it's because the miniatures and rules are not easily available around here.

And yeah, people in denmark (copenhagen area) can shoot me a PM and I'll hook them up with my group.

Edited by vejlin

Here in Denmark people who try the game tend to like it, but gravitate towards games with more players. So you'll have the weird situation of a lot of people playing GW games, not because they prefer the systems but because it's where the opponents are to be found. I have a small group of people who play Warlord occasionally but it has never really achieved "critical mass" to really spread. Mostly I think it's because the miniatures and rules are not easily available around here.

And yeah, people in denmark (copenhagen area) can shoot me a PM and I'll hook them up with my group.

Actually that sounds like the situation in my FLGS. Ten tables upstairs, on Saturday afternnon, I can pretty well gaurantee 5-8 will be 40k games, and maybe the fringe games like Hordes/Warmachine and Malifaux have a game or two going on. When I get back, I really want to get into Warlord and see if I can get a few people to try it out. The ruleset sounds pretty solid, but a lot of variety to be had. Plus the monetary investment is pretty reasonable by industry standards. (I priced a 500 pt Darkspawn army for ~$100 US. Plus it should look seriously cool once I get it painted up.)

Best of luck to you all. If I ever make it to the Olde Country (don't hold your breath), I'll shoot an email your way.

This kind of talk inspires me. Now I want to plan a european vacation in which I take with me a 1K list, and stop and visit Warlord players across western Europe while seeing the sights. We've already promised the Vejlins a visit, why not add a few extra stops? ::D:

~v

Hi People.

I guess I(we) represent the abroad portion of Warlord gamers to some extend. At the moment we're 4 people playing once every 14 days. (Divided among us we can field Darkspawn, Overlords, Crusaders, Elves, Mercs and Dwarfs.)

All of us a WHFB converts and newbies when it comes to Warlord.

I think the keywords for us were:

* Simplicity of the rules.(Easy to learn)

* Pace of the game.(Quick games)

* Low'ish modelcount. (Easy to pick'n'paint an army)

* Alot cheaper than 2000pts worth of GW

* Appears to have less rulechanges than WHFB. (Sucked hard having GW alter rules, making models/armybuilds you already owned illigal. Not to mention set their prizes according to usefullness of models.)

I just hope the game catches on in popularity. At the moment, the nerds at the local gamingstore are looking at me sideways when I buy Warlord mini's.

Nerd: "What are those mini's for?"

Me: "Warlord"

Nerd: "Oh... I didnt even know it was a game.."

Oh, forgot to add. We're from Silkeborg, Denmark.

- Azazel

nice, we have about the same size group here in the greater copenhagen area. Perhaps we can organize a national tourney some time.

Hi guys! New (potential) french player, but I'm still looking for a european dealer with the rulebook...

Question : I tried to buy on the online store the Gnome army proposed in the tactic article, but some minis are missing. Are we expecting some new release, or are they out of stock?

Sorry for any english/american mistake, but I'm french... :rolleyes:

The only thing that I see that should be missing is the Herald of Blood; it is not released yet. You should be able to purchase all the other figures.

~v