Ddot

Magic: Darkspawn

Mostly I'm curious on a few issues regarding the Ice Queen and D'khul.

1. Are familiars worth the 15/30 pt outlay?

2. Do you find yourself burning them out with the higher-cost spells, or using more of a mix of the "lesser" spells as the situation dictates? (One of the reasons I consider familiars for one or both.)

3. Do you find magic can compensate for a lack of ranged attacks in a Darkspawn army, or should I strive to have at least some shooting?

Eternally hateful,

Ddot

Hi mate.

Keep in mind that Im a newbie at this game still, but heres my take on spellcasting with Darkspawn.

We only play 500'ish points, so I've yet to field the Witch Queen due to her cost.

Im fielding D'khul, Guros and a Devourer of Mashaf for spellcasting purposes.

Its my general impression that Darkspawn needs to be played fast and hard, since it appears as if they mostly have a solid amount of attacks, yet seem to lack DV for the long drawn out battles. This has made my use of magic be mostly all offence, In order to soften up the opponants main melee elites/captains before getting in B2B with them.

I use succubi + Jhorxia to harrass/slay enemy spellcasters and shooters, and otherwise rely on Darkspawn having quite nice magic defence on alot of their troop types, while I mainly target heavy hitters with magic.

The Devourer of Mashaf has spellpoints for casting 2 Mindblasts, which is amazing since its 18" with no LOS.

Guros has casting points for a single fireball, which in general gets shipped at bigger groups of enemies. (they tend to pack their troops up tight, when you have flyers with swift attack and speed superiority.)

D'Khul comes equipped with Mind Blast as well, which is his main damage dealer when I use him. Otherwise I enjoy the idea of using teleport offensively, to place enemy elite/captains in a position to be swarmed. Same idea with Domination really.

When it becomes time to expand my little force, I think the magic/shooting I'll be aiming for, will be adding Keradaan + magic ranged weap, and casting barrage on her with D'Khul. This should team up well with my flyers enticing enemies to gather their troops in tight groups, once they get hit with 3 x 3"AOE shots using rapid shot at MAV:4.

Anyways. Alot of my ideas are yet to be tested out thoroughly, but Im greatly enjoying how Darkspawn plays so far.

- Azazel

Familiars might be nice in that they give you spell points back, but I've always considered that a bonus, to me the best part about familiars is being able to use them as LOS.

This allows you to keep your caster safe by letting them to stay well away from melee; or, alternatively, by giving them an extra point to cast spells from when they are down and dirty (this is especially true of Warcaster models, who can cast while in melee combat, but who when bogged down in melee might not have the greatest LOS opportunities).

Remember, even if you run out of spell points, or get low on them, there are useful level 0 spells that mean your caster is never out of the game.

Also, dont forget that it also lets you use the tactic of having the familiar double move into position, while the caster focuses and casts their spell, giving you a much better chance of success.

I tend to always take a familiar when i have casters. But, having said that, I can also say that I almost always limit myself to only one familiar. This is because as you pointed out, even though 15 points doesnt seem like a lot, every point adds up quickly when building army lists. And you still need troops to work with your casters.

Seeing as there's no active darkspawn players in Jax any advice I'll give you might be haphazard at best. Nonetheless I'll help how I can.

The darkspawn seem to be based on magic and big monster melee. You seem to want to go the more magic route right?

My biggest comment is that you should incorporate shooting. I've been playing Warlord since the beta tests and archers are just one of those things you should always consider.