Mage Force Field

twjolson

The question asked in 'Clear Paint Question' got me thinking, and it bloomed into an idea for a diarama.

Have any of you used a piece of clear plastic, using paints to tint it, to create a mage force field effect? I have an idea of how to paint it, but I am stumped as to where to get such a piece of plastic, with minimal expense.

Any ideas, or example pics?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could get clear plastic from any package.. like for a toy. But it's fairly hard and wouldn't be bendable, unless you melted it. Could also try plastic wrap... wrap it around something in the shape of what you want, then apply glue.. peel it off and it might keep the form.

You know those little capsules you can buy from like, gumball machines? In the front of a grocery? They have silly putty or toys etc inside and cost like 50c. Those might be the right size to envelope a mini, if you're trying to do something like that... Would be like a little bubble, and if you used greenstuff to build from the base up to the bubble (assuming it's lifted off the base, because it's not tall enough..) you could paint that part to make it look like more opaque magicstuff. ..I don't think I'm making any sense, now.

Good luck anyway, I'm hoping someone will have a better answer, since this sounds really neat. :)

Oh another more bendable but less seran-wrappy option would be mylar but idk where normal people could get it, I'd just jack some from work.

I think plastic blister pack would work. IIRC Marike used it to create the seaweed on her version of Pearl the Mermaid.

It deforms quite nicely with the heat of a hairdryer. You could cut out a circle roughly the size you are needing, stick just the edges of it down on a ceramic or glass tile (something that will not melt and would retain a little heat) and hit it with the blow dryer on high. After a few minutes, when it's nice and soft, pinch the center of the circle with a pair of tweezers, and pull up while twisting. I would think that would give you a cool vortex with swirly texture. You might need to drop the tile into cold water kinda quickly though in order to set the shape.

Jen

Here's what a few minutes of playing around got me. With the investment of little more time you could probably get exactly what you're looking for. The pic doesn't show it real well, but there's a nice tight little spiral in the middle.

post-3802-12862898619064_thumb.jpg

I tried it with the hair dryer first, but when that didn't work boiling water did. :;): I made a tiny hole in the center and shoved my tweezers in before dunking in the water. I grabbed the edge that was sticking out of the water and twisted. It solidified almost immediately when I pulled it out.... no need for cold water.

Cheers,

Jen

I'd imagine you could cut the top off a 2L bottle, remove the neck and close off the hole using a heat gun to soften and pull the plastic together. Just make sure you;re doing it all in a well ventilated area or use a respirator to avoid any potential for harmful fumes. Plastic + Heat is usually not the best.

TAP! TAP Plastics! The fantastic - plastic place!

There are plastic stores that actually sell all sorts of plastic stuff cheap. I recommend to everyone who's ever interested in basing, terrain making, and weird stuff like this, that they locate one and visit it frequently. Often, you can find stuff that is just as cheap as any other method, but suits the need better.

Before I can make a cogent suggestion, what does a force field look like?

Is it a well-defined dome covering the whole caster?

Is it a diffuse glow around the caster*?

Is it a screen between the caster and danger?

There could be many correct answers, but the path to each is likely to be different.

* I actually have an idea about how this could be done, but it would be a high-risk gamble. I think it would be very cool if somebody could pull it off, though.

Granted. But aren't there east-coast equivalents?

Probably. But I was a big fan of TAP when I lived in CA, and haven't found anything equivilent in Denver. There are a couple of places that carry most everything TAP does, but as far as friendliness to the customer, and just plain browsing experience, I haven't found a place yet. TAP does appear to have a web store now though, so that's good.

Before I can make a cogent suggestion, what does a force field look like?

That's what I was going to ask later on tonite, only in a slightly different manner, after I'd had time to consult my various rule books - basically, "which spell effect from which game are you looking to simulate?"

Wow, lots of awesome suggestions. Especially the idea of using heat to warp and play with it. I'm sure I'll end up tinkering with that process.

By chance, I found something that might do at Michaels. I was there to get some corkboard stumbled upon clear, relatively soft, plastic Christmas tree balls. All I have to do is cut out the 'shield' shape, I'm thinking something roughly teardrop, and just paint it. Though the heating might help me do cooler things with it, the swirl in the middle is a neat idea, and maybe add a little bit of waviness around the edges or leaving a 'tag' at the bottom to glue the shield to the base conspicuously.

I even got a wooden base, since this project is quickly growing to warrant it.