haldir

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From wikipedia: Asgard.

Prologue

In the Prologue Snorri offers an euhemerized and Christian-influenced interpretation of the myths and tales of his forefathers. As-gard, he conjectures, is the home of the Æsir (singular Ás) in As-ia, making a folk etymological connection between the three "As-"; that is, the Æsir were "men of Asia", not gods, who moved from Asia to the north and some of which intermarried with the peoples already there. Snorri's interpretation of the 13th century foreshadows 20th century views of Indo-European migration from the east.

It seems like it's a mixed up crazy world even in Asgard, or Valhalla, or anywhere.

Wow, that's a pretty horrible mangling of Scandinavian mythology. But I guess it could be fun if I'm able to think of it as "inspired by" mythology more than using the actual mythology. Is this based on a comic? There was a Stark reference in there, so I'm guessing yes. Is it then at least consistent with the comic if not the actual myths?

Yes - it is the Marvel Thor comic as a base, as a set up for the Avengers. Same universe as Spiderman, Captain America, and Iron Man (among others).

So, as a comic book, really has no basis on actual mythology, other than name and very basic general ideas. He is more of a super hero, less a god.

Loki was the next in line for succession

Are you sure about this?

He is Thor's half brother though in mythology IIRC.

Not as far as I know. He mixed blood with Odin though, which is his claim to respect among the other gods.

Loki was the next in line for succession

Are you sure about this?

I was talking in respect to what they said in the movie. I can't imagine the Asgardians ever allowing Loki to assume the throne.

He is Thor's half brother though in mythology IIRC.

Not as far as I know. He mixed blood with Odin though, which is his claim to respect among the other gods.

Apparently I recalled incorrectly. It's been a long time since I've read any Norse mythology. I know one of his parents was one of the giants.

According to the Thor comic books, Loki was Thor's half-brother. Odin had an affair with Loki's mom and then took him in as a wee lad. But, of course, comics change backgrounds all of the time. It's annoying. ^_^

At one point in time, I had almost every Thor comic ever made. But, life interfered and I was in need of some cash, so I had to sell my entire comic book collection. But, Thor was by far my favorite character. I have to say that so far Marvel is not making me happy with the casting for Thor and Captain America.

[soap Box Rant On]

What in the world happened to the heroes of the movies being big manly men? Arnold. Stallone. Dolph. Numerous others. All of those guys had big muscles and looked manly. Now they are casting the guy that was Johnny Storm as Captain America? Excuse me? He's ok as Johnny because that guy was never very big in the comics. But Captain America? He is supposed to be the pinnacle of human physique, not the opposite. So, that means you better find a pro wrestler sized guy to fill that role. The same goes for Thor. He's supposed to be at least 6'-6" and mega-ripped. Again, a pro wrestler sized guy. Now, Donald Blake (Thor's alter ego) can be a small guy as well as Steve Rogers' pre-Captain days (in fact, he is supposed to be). :down: It just makes me sad that the heroes today look like such weenies. :down:

[soap Box Rant Off]