Sign in to follow this  
Castlebuilder

League Play

A couple weeks ago I brought up the proposal that we have a Warlord tournament. My buddies promptly insisted that we needed to run a League instead. The conversation took off from there and things quickly got rolling. Since most of the guys at the store are familiar with the Privateer Press League system, we modeled out plans for the Warlord League after that. Once players have thier armies they will dice for one of 10 scenarios and one of 10 random effects. We went with terrain placement for each scenario rather than random, pre-generated maps. Our start date is Sunday, Oct. 17th, and it will run for four one week segments. Players will generate points during play, and these will be used for an auction at the end of the League. Points for games are scored for a players top three victory point scores per week. Battles can played any time during the week, but I think Tuesdays will be one of the primary days for battles. So far interest is pretty good and I hope for at least 10 players. If anyone else wants to join in, we would love to have you. (Sergei is already planning on driving up from Columbus, so if you live down that way you could share rides with him.)

Our attitude has been pretty much to get this set up and running as soon as possible, so I won't claim it's perfect. We are pretty much committed to what we already have, but if somebodey wants to look it over and provide me with comments I would be happy to share. Drop me a PM with your e-mail if you would like a copy.

Tim, shoot me an email and I will get you the latest versions of the beta campaign system and let you guys see if that is worth using for your league.

@Stubbdog

My friends and I are trying to play using a campaign system as well, and we'd be really interested in getting inspiration from your Beta as well.

I'll throw you a PM with my email.

Hope it's ok.

- Azazel

Our League starts tomorrow. As of last night we have eight players signed up and two probables. It kind of surprises me, but all but one faction is from the Savage North. The only duplicate is Icingstead.

We got in three league games today. First was between Jack's Timbrithil and Outek's Koborlas. The scenario was to get your warlord into a zone at the center of the board and keep him there. Fight wise it was a close game, with Jack only having two minis left at the end. Unfortunately, Eowad never get to the control zone, so the Elves didn't score any victory points while the flea bitten hounds walked away with all 20. The second game was between Mike & Kim, with both of the playing Icingstead. The scenario was to control as many of the six 1' squares as possible. Mike trounced Kim pretty bad. Game 3 was between Steph's Sisterhood and my BSG. I based my army off of the one from the BSG spotlight on Reaper Games. The Sisters didn't have any great swarm troops, so my Damage Reduction gave Steph fits. The scenario was that one of our soldiers was a spy and we didn't know which one, so in addition to killing off the enemy army we wanted to get all of our soldiers killed. We both got all of our soldiers killed, but in the end I still had around 500 points worth of leaders and elites left.

Great fun, can't wait to play again.

Sounds awesome! I agree with joshuaslater, upload some pictures!!

I think a league format has plenty of merit. Campaigns scare me, to be honest.. They're just super hard to create in an interesting and dynamic way, and they're even harder to implement. Most often the winners of the initial battles go on to win the whole thing, and the entire campaign is a slow death for the initial loser. It's a symptom of the fact that a central element to campaign play is that your victories should reward you in a meaningful way. So I favor league play. If you want to introduce some campaign elements I'd suggest a sort of "escalation league" where you start off with small skirmishing bands and move on to larger and larger battles.

JDR, just a quick hostage of this thread to let you know that we are building a campaign system around the problems that you describe. I agree 100% that many campaign systems fail due to the "slow death" syndrome. We are working hard on a system that hopefully will not have that. Stay tuned... (oh and if you would like to beta test it let me know)

I haven't seen the most recent version yet, but I've seen some of the earlier ones. Stubbdog really does have a system that looks like it will work.

Oh Crap! I just hijacked my own thread!

Our League is buring through the second week. Tuesday we got in a bunch of games. I got in three myself(750, 1000, 1000)and managed two wins and decent victory points in all three. All 10 players who signed up have gotten games in. The 10 random scenarios and effects seem to be working well, although Jack has managed to get ones that don't favor his army about every time.

JDR, just a quick hostage of this thread to let you know that we are building a campaign system around the problems that you describe. I agree 100% that many campaign systems fail due to the "slow death" syndrome. We are working hard on a system that hopefully will not have that. Stay tuned... (oh and if you would like to beta test it let me know)

IMO most campaign rules suffer from being overly complicated with too much bookkeeping.

I managed to get four games in this week. Lost two that were extremely close and won the others. This was very fun and I took full advantage of trying out a few ideas. I made a couple different lists and let people choose randomly which they would fight, except for my last game against Castlebuilder.

Normally with Koborlas, I run with 1 or 2 troops in 1,000 points. Against Castlebuilder, I decided to change things a bit and ran an army with nine initiative cards (five troops, four tactician cards). First time ever had that many cards, and the Lupines brutalized the poor Boodstone Gnomes.

Brutalized is probably to kind of a word for what Outek did to me. The BSG will probably need to create a new word to describe the stomping I took from his flea transports. The league play has been brutal the past two weeks. At the end of week 2 I had won 5 of 6 games. Since then I have lost 7 straight. Sheesh!