Sign in to follow this  
Gaming Glen

Halloween scenario ideas?

So here I am starting to paint, at 3 AM, the Pillar of Evil as a Totem of Battle and realize that Halloween is nearing. Having not much to do for the next two weeks maybe I can think of a Halloween scenario to introduce the locals to Warlord at my store on Halloween night as a store event. So, off top of my head as I write (and remember, it's now 4:20 AM.. just can't sleep)...

I was thinking of something smaller than even 500 vs 500 pt battles. Perhaps 250 vs. 250, or, each player plays an individual model (leader or otherwise), probably with at least 3 HP (or 3 DTs) and Tough/#. Perhaps allow each to have a couple of grunts to tag along (i.e., big brother/sister having to take the little siblings and cousins out trick or treating). Or...

Current idea: Haunted House and yard. Each gets a 2 DT model. They can go to several "sites" to find Halloween treats (okay, a mix of Easter Egg hunt and Halloween). Hmm, I think the store has a few ruined building models so could make a street of doors to knock on... Anyway, perhaps with success at each site/house, they'd get treats that can heal damage. Winner is the one with most treats at end of scenario.

Since I have very few "undead" miniatures (and no zombies) I'll have to make do with what monsterish miniatures I have (btw, I do not have Savage North book yet):

4 skeletons;

2 mummies (I would have to base them);

1 ghost/spectre/banshee (Navar, Wraith or Aysa, Ghost [both Necropolis] might work);

1 DH Medusa (on a Cav base), the Klahan, Nagenda Sniper, seems like a good fit for it;

1 couatl,

1 hell hound,

1 air elemental (Dust Devil),

1 displacer beast... er, "phase cat" ::o: (AD&D mini);

1 catoblepas (non-Reaper mini had for years, on Cav base), any swamp cow-appropiate datacards?;

1 Well of Doom (it came out of the packaging so I put it together and painted it for the store, mounted on 2"x2" tile), not sure what it could do, though;

plus the Pillar of Evil to give them all +1 MAV; but maybe I'd rather be missing more often than hitting in this scenario (I'm not really intending on winning, that's for one of the players ^_^ ).

Also have Bile the Wyvern and a Hill Giant, but those might be a bit much for this scenario.

Hmm, each going individually would be too time consuming and chaotic, so maybe a 250 vs 250 (approximate) scenario with ruins would be best after all.

Any other ideas? How can treats play a part, besides healing?

BTW, I did make a 500 point "monster" army with several of the mentioned miniatures. Doesn't fair that well since no synergy or faction bonuses.

- Glen

Sounds like a good plan. What if you spread beads around the table and made those random events. I'm sure you could come up with all sorts of fun and nasty surprises for that. Get everyone on the forum involved and you should get all sorts of ideas. All your different monsters could be part of the random events options.

Also, it's great to see that I'm not the only one who is working on a last minute halloween game. Outek and I decided a bit over a week ago to run something, and now we are scrambling to build a sci-fi research facility and get figs read for four different factions (Mutants, Survivors, Rescue Team, & Corporate Sponsored Mercs). Oh the joy of building scenarios.......

Also, it's great to see that I'm not the only one who is working on a last minute halloween game. Outek and I decided a bit over a week ago to run something, and now we are scrambling to build a sci-fi research facility and get figs read for four different factions (Mutants, Survivors, Rescue Team, & Corporate Sponsored Mercs). Oh the joy of building scenarios.......

I don't think Bluethunder and I would be too upset if we got a chance to play that one day.

Just saying :)

Something involving a Pumpkin Patch? What kind of tiny, dollar store pumpkins could you scare up?

You mentioned treats: How about a graveyard based, grave-robbing scenario? If you took some grey or brown paper and over-wrapped these little guys: Hershey's Mmmmm... you would end up with decent little tomb markers or crypt slabs that would be chocolatey on the inside. Whoever ends the game with the most chocolate wins (obviously!) One bag would make a huge graveyard or two medium sized ones. You could have one of your monsters pop out of a crypt at random based on a die roll. Something like:

•  
  • 0 --- Tough monster
  • 9 --- Medium monster (banshhee, etc.)
  • 8,7 - Weaker monster (skeleton, etc.)
  • 6-1 - Empty Crypt

(Don't tell those guys over in the diet-wise thread about this Hershey idea though :devil: )

Thanks for the treats idea, although we may have a bowl full of candy in the store.

Just got a gargoyle mini (DH 2374) to add to my monster list.

The store does have a piece of felt with plastic tombstones attached to it for a graveyard; and a Building Authority Mausoleum.

Perhaps the players play as a group with one character each, but each gets their own initiative card (same would go for my monsters). Would that break the game any? :unsure:

About using MMs as treats: that could be dangerous as they could be confused with the glass beads used as markers. I'm thinking to get a bag (or two) of Hershey Nuggets :wub: or Hershey's miniatures (Krackle, Mr. Goodbar, etc). Those work better for B2B purposes as well. :lol:

I just realized there is no Loot Action. I guess it would be a Specialty Action. It's what I've done with the ideas I have listed below.

Okay, what I have so far...

Warlord's Halloween "Trick, Treat, or Die" Event

(hmm, how to Trick in the game.. a Specialty Action to do..?)

- some game rules are exempted or over-ruled by the scenario.

- game map: horror-like with Trick or Treat locations spread about the map. Each location gets one monster troop (1-3 monsters, approximately 30-100 points) and an assortment of treats and treasures (magical items). Amount of treats or treasures is 4, with no more than one treasure per location. The treasures are unknown by the players until it is picked up. The monster troops are not yet deployed until functioning; the GM may place secretive markers at each location to note which monster troops goes to which location when finally deployed.

- players: 1 GM to run the monsters; several players, each runs a small troop.

- Option: player side gets Totem of Battle (nothing breeds more interest in a game than successful die rolls.. well, okay, the fun factor really is, but successful die rolls adds a lot to the fun factor) :;):

- each player gets 1 elite/leader model + 2-3 soldier models, approximately 100-110 points. These could be pre-set troops that the players pick from. (Effectively the elite or leader model has Sergeant 0-3/0.) Option: give each model Tough/1 SA (or add one to an existing Tough SA).

- each player gets a set numbered-initiative card (i.e., 2 of diamonds), and an identical-numbered card of the other same-color suit (i.e., 2 of hearts) to put with his datacards to help identify his initiative card ("initiative-identification card").

- a player may exchange his turn with another player who has not activated yet; swap initiative-identification cards between those players.

- monsters get a total number of initiative cards equal to each functioning monster troop plus 1, but these are not associated with any particular monster troop (the GM decides what monster troop to run). A monster troop becomes functioning when either its location is being explored by a player troop or the GM uses a monster initiative card to do so instead of activating an already functioning monster troop.

- functioning monster troops may group up if the leader, or highest point model of the troop, does the Regroup Action with a monster troop that has not activated yet. Ignore leadership limits for this scenario except no more than 6 models may be in a monster troop.

- player troops may fight each other. (I foresee this being the norm with the locals around here)

- Each model can carry up to three treats or treasures. Any number of treats or treasures may be picked up with a Specialty Action(Loot) if the model is in B2B contact with said items. One carried treat can be consumed as a Specialty Action to either a) heal one point of damage (Yum), or b) gain +2 MOV until end of next Game Turn (Energize .. no, it won't give the model the Blink SA ::P: ). When a model dies (removed from game) any treats or treasures it has are dropped at its former location.

- Treasure: anyone can use these items, the faction listed is the location of the item's description. Roll a die when an unknown treasure is picked up:

1-2 = Magic Weapon,

3 = Spiked Armor (Overlords),

4 = Magic Ranged Weapon (model without RAV gets RAV 2, #RA 1),

5 = Bonesplitter (Reven),

6 = Luck Stone,

7 = Mithril Armor (Dwarves),

8 = Ring of the Unicorn (Elves),

9 = Vampiric Weapon (Necropolis): UNIQUE (reroll after first time), model becomes Evil and becomes its own monster troop immediately taken over by the GM,

10 = "Charlie's Rock" (Albatross Amulet).

The GM may substiture other treasure items. Monster models will not pick up or use treasures.

- victory points: 3 if elite/leader model is alive at end, 1 per soldier model alive at end, 1 per treat at end.

As yet to be decided:

a) what does exploring mean - perhaps within a set distance, say 6"?

b) story and set up: exploring a "haunted area" or "trick or treating" an area of a village rarely visited.

About using MMs as treats: that could be dangerous as they could be confused with the glass beads used as markers. I'm thinking to get a bag (or two) of Hershey Nuggets :wub: or Hershey's miniatures (Krackle, Mr. Goodbar, etc). Those work better for B2B purposes as well. :lol:

I didn't mean to suggest M&Ms (or as I like to call them: Vitamin M pills :poke: ). I realize now that I ought to have typed "Link" instead of "Hersheys Mmmmmmm". If you'll check my first post and click on the link you'll see that it indeed goes to Hersheys Miniatures. And, yes they'll work better for base to base and IMHO they are the size and shape of a "crypt slab" at 28mm scale.

Yeah, Trick should be a special action:

0-2 Opponent is hoodwinked: temporarily blinded, can't shoot, close combat rolls at -2.

3-5 Opponent is confounded: he charges away in a random direction instead of doing anything useful.

6-7 Opponent tripped: knock the model down, defense value is halved until he can stand again.

8-9 ??? someone else's idea here ???

I finally made a quick solo run through and came up with some changes. Tomorrow I have a few volunteers to try another playtest run. Each player's troop is about 119-127 pts; more about that later.

Avoid using monsters with 3+ #MA. Those tiny-count player troops will be gone right quick and you'll have upset players. I sort of knew this before I did my test run; the Dust Devil in two separate solo plays killed off two soldiers (Merc and Elf warriors) in one Activation each time, I won't be using it for this event.

Will not use a Totem of Battle for the monsters.

The game lasts 5 turns. It's sort of a survival race to the "loot". :devil:

Draw Deck: use a card per player troop and per deployed monster troop; as before but since no monsters will be deployed at the beginning the Draw Deck on the first turn will only have player initiative cards.

Monster deployment and activation: Place event-related terrain (i.e., graveyard, haunted house) in the play area and the GM secretly notes what monsters will get deployed at each terrain location; have about 1-2 of the locations be empty of monster troops. A monster troop gets deployed when a player model does a Specialty Action (Trick or Treat) when B2B with the entrance (e.g., mausoleum gate or door) or when fully inside the terrain's area (e.g., heavy woods, graveyard, ruins). Roll a die and place the monsters 1/2 of the die roll in inches from the terrain's center in the direction the die is pointing. If using a building then back up the player's model 2" to allow one of the monster models to be placed just outside the entrance, other monster models can be placed along the sides (crawling out windows or out of holes in the walls). Let the player continue on with his Activation. Once the player completes his Activation then the just-deployed monster troop automatically Activates.

Place Treats and a Treasure at each location, whether or not any monster troops get deployed there. All Treats and Treasures at a location can be picked up by any model of the troop in B2B with either and does the Specialty Action (Loot). Treasures can be automatically given to any model in the troop. Treats are troop held, meaning any treat can be used by any troop model when needed. A treasure must be assigned to one model. Note: less fiddling or micro-management.

Victory condition: Winner is the player troop that has a surviving leader model and the most treats. All the other models are expendable. (have to be, Warlord is just that bloody/ichory(word?) <_< )

I'm listing the current player armies I have created, based on miniatures that I have, of course. I also went for a few odd combos. I'm concerned about the 2 troop armies and how they will fare.

Elves

121 pts: Chiral, Centaur w/ Bracers of Mobility; Centaur Archer

125 pts: Peruhain, Elven Monk (using Dehanis mini); Silvermaine, Unicorn; 2x Faery ("the Sylvan group")

121 pts: Aviriel Tellerion, Elf Paladin; Vale Archer; Royal Guardsman

120 pts: Selwyn, 2x Hunting Cats

Mercenaries

127 pts: Tallis, Cleric; Minotaur; Albatross Amulet

120 pts: Arik Tellazar (DH drow mini); Shad Coalshadow, Mercenary Crossbowman; Luck Stone

119 pts: Mika, Samurai Heroine; Mercenary Warrior, Mercenary Crossbowman

121 pts: Sigurd; "Rusty his pet dog" (Mercenary Axeman w/ Smite (Skeleton) added); Olivia, Priestess

(I have the war dog miniature from the Chainmail line, normally I'd use Crusader's War Dog but that is a one-hit wonder and needed just a few more pts)

119 pts: Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos; 2x Mercenary Warrior; Luck Stone

121 pts: Elandaria; Familiar; Arik Tellazar (DH Black Legionaire mini)

Reven

119 pts: Narg Bloodtusk, Bull Orc; Bull Orc Fighter; Goblin Warrior; Luck Stone

119 pts: Ombur Skulltooth, Bull Orc; Goblin Beastrider (mount is a hellhound); Orc Warrior; Luck Stone

120 pts: Gaaguk, Bull Orc Berserker; Bull Orc Berserker

This is my latest formal draft of the event after a playtest last night with 3 players. I had only enough treats to give 2 to each location; it seemed to be not enough so I think 3 would be a good number of treats at each location. It was suggested that a treat be given to the players at the beginning ("just in case"). I have not included any "Trick" actions; most would be similar to several spells so I'll leave that to Spellcasters.

Warlord's Halloween "Trick, Treat, or Die" Event

Participants

One person takes the role of the Game Master (the GM) who sets up the playing area, and controls the monster Army and the treats and treasures the monsters are hoarding.

Other players each get one small Troop for their Army to defeat the monsters and gain treats and treasures.

Treats and Treasures

This event is all about the players getting treats and possible treasures. Such treats can be various forms of candy or other sweets, preferably at least one piece being small and square-like for B2B contact with regular models. This one piece can represent all the treats and a treasure at a location. Monsters cannot pick up or use treats or treasures during the game (they are hoarding them after all).

A model can pick up all the treats and the treasure at a location if in B2B contact with such an item by using the Specialty Action (Loot). Treats are shared by the models of a Troop. The treasure must be assigned to any model of the Troop immediately, after which it can only be transferred to another model as a Free Action if the two models are B2B with each other. Details about treasures are discussed in a later section.

Treats can be consumed by a model with the Specialty Action (Yum) to either 1) heal one point of damage per treat consumed, 2) gain two Spell Points per treat consumed, or 3) one treat can remove any number of model States on the model. A treat may be consumed as a Free Action instead of taking Defensive Strikes, Defensive Shots, or Counterspell to gain the Tough/9 SA for the current Activation, in essence automatically saving the model from being removed from the game at that point if it had taken enough damage to do so. Note that the Assassin SA still negates Defensive Strikes and the Tough roll.

Any number of treats of the Troop and a model’s treasures can be dropped as a Free Action; place them in B2B with the model that did the action. When a model dies (removed from the game) any treasures it has are placed at its former location.

Army Creation

Each player’s Troop consists of one Elite or Leader model plus 2-3 other models (usually Soldiers) totaling approximately 120 points. Any Solo models must be included in the Troop. Equipment may also be used. These Troops could be pre-determined by the GM that the players pick from. Any model assuming the role of the Troop’s leader and does not have any Leader ranks gets the rank Sergeant (0-3/1). Each player’s Troop gets one treat at start.

The GM’s monster Troops should be made up of an individual model or small group of models having approximately 30-90 points. Avoiding the use of more than one model with 3+ #MA is highly recommended. Change the Affiliation of each model to Monster/Evil. It is a rather special evening, after all.

Playing Area

The playing area should be a horror-like arrangement of Trick or Treat locations spread about the playing surface, such as a graveyard, mausoleums, spider-webbed woods, “haunted” house, mist-covered swamp, or dark pool of water. The number of such locations should be slightly greater than the number of players. An entrance location, treat as a starting line, should also be selected where the players’ Troops will be deployed.

The Draw Deck (Initiative)

Each player gets a set numbered-initiative card (i.e., 2 of diamonds) to place in the Draw Deck, and an identical-numbered card of the other same-color suit (i.e., 2 of hearts) to put with his data cards to help identify his initiative card. This is the "initiative-identification card".

Ignore the Spy SA and Tactician SA of any model for this event.

A player may exchange his turn with another player who has not activated yet; swap initiative-identification cards between those players.

Deployment & Pre-Battle Phase

Player Troops are deployed as normal at the designated starting line but all models immediately take a Move action to move into the play area thus making room for the next player’s Troop. Any models with the Ranger SA must then immediately use that SA or forego its use altogether. Any models not moving at least half of their MOV from the starting line will be moved at the discretion of the GM.

Monster Troops are not deployed at the beginning. The GM should make secret notes when setting up the playing area assigning each monster Troop to a Treat or Treat location with no more than one Troop per location. A monster Troop will be deployed immediately when its location is activated by a player’s model using the Specialty Action (Trick or Treat!). Place one of the monster Troops in B2B contact with the model that activated the location, possibly moving that model if necessary (e.g., away from the location’s entrance). Any other monster models should be placed at the discretion of the GM or randomly. Deploy three treats and one treasure at the location as well. Once the location is set up with the monster Troop and treats the player Troop continues its Activation.

Option: have 1 or 2 locations containing treats and a treasure but no monster Troop.

Specialty Action (Trick or Treat!)

A player model in contact with a Trick or Treat location may use the Specialty Action (Trick or Treat!) to activate that location. Doing so triggers the deployment of a monster Troop and the allocation of three treats and one treasure to the location. Each Trick or Treat location can only be activated once per game.

Monster Troop Activation

Monster Troops are activated when either an initiative card for the monster Army is drawn or immediately after the player’s Troop that activated a location has completed the player’s Troop Activation. In essence, a newly deployed monster Troop is automatically activated after the current Activation has ended if the monster Troop has survived that Activation.

Monster Troops will not go far from their deployment location (no more than 1 or 2 MOVs), except perhaps to chase down a model that is attacking them at range.

Treasure

Treasures are unknown until picked up. Any player model, except those excluded from using any equipment, can use the treasure items regardless of faction; the faction listed is the location in the rulebook of the item's description. Roll a die when an unknown treasure is picked up and consult Table 1.1. UNIQUE items may only be found once; if rolled again then move down the table to the next item. The GM may substitute other treasure items.

Game length and Victory

Game length can be five turns or until all the treats and treasures have been picked up. The player with the most treats and a surviving Leader model is the winner.

Table 1.1 - Treasures

1 "Charlie's Rock" (Albatross Amulet) an opponent may force that model’s die roll to be rerolled, after which the Rock crumbles and is useless

2 Spiked Armor (Overlords) UNIQUE - model gains +1 #MA on Defensive Strikes

3 Bonesplitter (Reven) UNIQUE - model gains the Cleave SA, if the model already has the Cleave SA then it gets the Mighty SA instead.

4 Magic Ranged Weapon +1 RAV, model without a RAV value gets RAV 2, #RA 1, Rng(18)

5 Luck Stone +1 to any one die roll after the die is rolled, then the Luck Stone crumbles and is useless

6 Mithril Armor (Dwarves) UNIQUE - model gains the Damage Reduction/1 SA

7 Ring of the Unicorn (Elves) UNIQUE - model gains the Blink SA

8 Cloak of the Dunewalker (Nefsokar) UNIQUE - model gains +1 MOV and the Non-Corporeal SA

9-10 Magic Weapon +1 MAV

GM notes

The GM does not win the game, a player does. Monsters should fight to the best of their abilities but split attacks if possible among the models that can be attacked. If it moves to attack a model it should go for the nearest one or randomly choose one if any are equally close.

One monster can be added to the monster’s Army as a tough fight, but emphasize this when it is deployed (i.e., “This one looks really ferocious.”), hinting that it might be best if two or more players take it on.

Player notes

The Leader model of your Troop is all that matters; all other models are expendable and most likely will die. Consume treats sparingly since they are victory points and save them for the Leader to consume.

Suggested play: Have one of the expendable models move up to a location to Trick or Treat it while the other models wait to react to what monsters get deployed.

How did your Halloween game go? The one I ran was a lot of fun. The Mutants really tore everybody up, especially the rescue team. A few tweaks and we will be ready to take the scenario on the road down to Sethoman and BlueThunder's shop in Dayton.

As I suspected, the "maybe"s and "might come by"s didn't show (it wasn't D&D or Pathfinder, or War Machine). Brian, my store partner, and his brother Keith who also works there, a friend that happened to be there even though he wasn't that interested, and one other we coaxed into playing at least let the game happen. They enjoyed the game, and the candy "treats/treasures" as well.

Except for them wanting to Move, Charge, AND Attack or do the Specialty Action "Trick or Treat" the location they just "charged" and reached in the same Activation, the game went well. Only two out of the six soldiers actually were eliminated although many others were wounded and healed by treats.

A flaw came up with the "Treat" Tough check that could be taken instead of a Defensive counter Action: a model that was killed with the monster's Defensive Strikes didn't have that option. Also, the berserker orc Troop preferred to play at the last Damage Track, of course, and would just make the Tough check for 1 treat instead of healing.

So this is what I would change about the Tough check with treats rule:

"Give each "leader" the Tough/0 SA if it does not already have the Tough SA. When it makes a Tough Check to avoid being destroyed it may consume any number of treats before the roll, each treat consumed adds 3 to the die roll."

So for 3 treats they'd make the roll automatically. Those trying to maximize VPs might just eat 2, especially those with models that already had Tough/1 as then eating 2 would have them make a low risk roll.

As for the game itself, the "star" of the event was Tallis the Cleric Dominating the Phase Cat to Blink to where the Bile the Wyvern was sleeping (they knew where he was, and it was up to the players if they ever wanted to gang up on it). The Phase cat was no match for Bile, but it did waken Bile up who took to the air to find out what the rucus was. One magic item-enriched Minotaur charged and made short work of a wounded Bile a couple turns later. I did add a large handful of treats, split into 2 sections each having a treasure, to Bile's hoard; this was grabbed while Bile was flying about. The Phase Cat was otherwise the toughest of the "normal" trick-or-treat monsters, especially since I kept him in the heavy woods so Selwyn had a hard time targeting it with ranged attacks.

edit: It just dawned on me that Tallis cast Dominate twice, the first one had failed. Oh well, live and learn...

Sounds like a good time. Keep running fun events like this and I'm sure some other people will start taking notice. I started off small time and now the people at the store look forward to my holiday events. Our game was a Sci-Fi variant of the Warlord rules. A top secret research facility was overrun by mutants. A rescue team dropped in just as a force of Corporate Mercs were arriving from the table edges. The Rescue team started spread out around the middle of the table and they attracted most of the heat. The players also managed to draw encounter cards like crazy, so by the end there were scads of Mutants swarming the table. There were several incidents that were quite fun and were met with some great wise cracks. We also had some who had to cancel, but we still had five people plus Outek and I.