Priming

Poe

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to painting minis and forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I did search and go through a lot of the information here but I didn't see the answer I'm looking for.

What is a good brand of Black spray on Primer to use with small minis?

I've read a lot about people recommending Krylon but I'm worried that it won't be fine enough for small minis.

I've also read that many people have issues with Armory's and GW black primers...

Does anyone have a good recommendation for one that is easy to paint on and sprays well (doesn't sputter and is a nice even coat given that you take care of your spray cans appropriately)?

Thanks all!

Poe

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Krylon is pretty good if your technique and weather are good (Armory is Krylon primer with a different label and double the price). I've not had a problem with graininess when I prime correctly in dry weather.

Duplicolor might be better (find it in auto parts stores). Tamiya Fine Surface is generally thought to be the best spray-on primer, but it's quite expensive and I don't know that it is available in black.

GW is black paint, not primer.

I've never tried Krylon Black, but I have used the White Krylon primer. The one that I've tried works well enough, but the Krylon primer seems to come out and a very fast rate, so your sweep rate across the mini has to be pretty fast to compensate (or you get detail filled in).

My preference for spray primer is Duplicolor Sandable Primer (an automotive primer) which comes in several colors including White, Black, and Gray. Nice spray pattern at a reasonable rate, good coverage. The coat isn't as good as Tamiya Fine Surfacer (I think that's the one), but it's good enough and at $4.86 locally for a large can, a good buy. Not all auto parts stores will have all the colors, so you might check around.

I'm not sure if the Tamiya spray primer comes in black.

Ron

Tamiya doesn't come in black. Only white & light grey.

Love Dupicolor myself for all my priming needs (minis & models).

There is one Dupi primer that you might not want to get & that is the scratch & fill primer. While nice to have on a model, not so good for minis.

RM

Thanks all for the great information.

I think I might give Krylon a try since its slightly easier to get.

If anyone else has an opinion please let me know.

My local comic store caries 4 different hobby brand primers. I wonder if there is any benefit to using them?

Are there any tools that can be used to help spray the primer in a nice controlled manner appropriate for minis?

I always feel like I'm aiming a bazooka at my mini when I use a normal spray can.

Poe

I've gone every primer route there is, from the cheap auto primer, to the expensive brands. It really depends more on humidity and temperature than anything else.

I have had very good results lately with the Army Painter primers. I know they are expensive, but the colors are convenient. I use the brown for bare nekkid barbarians and for rat men, for example.

You'll have some trial and error finding the right primer for you, and the journey is just beginning.

Good luck.

My local comic store caries 4 different hobby brand primers. I wonder if there is any benefit to using them?

If you consider lower quantity at higher price to be a benefit, then yes, definitely. rolleyes.gif

There isn't really any systematic difference between "hobby" primers and the regular sort, though different brands of primer work better for different people.

Are there any tools that can be used to help spray the primer in a nice controlled manner appropriate for minis?

I always feel like I'm aiming a bazooka at my mini when I use a normal spray can.

I mount my figures on pieces of scrap 1" x 2" lumber and I normally prime outdoors. Start the spray off the figures, sweep across fairly rapidly, and repeat until you are satisfied. I find this reduces the feeling that I'm wasting primer and gets better coats at the same time. (Don't forget to clear the spray nozzle by spraying with the can upside down until no paint comes out.)

You can use an airbrush with some brush-on primers, I suppose, but that seems like quite a bit of work for the minimal benefit.

I mount my figures on pieces of scrap 1" x 2" lumber and I normally prime outdoors. Start the spray off the figures, sweep across fairly rapidly, and repeat until you are satisfied. I find this reduces the feeling that I'm wasting primer and gets better coats at the same time. (Don't forget to clear the spray nozzle by spraying with the can upside down until no paint comes out.)

You can use an airbrush with some brush-on primers, I suppose, but that seems like quite a bit of work for the minimal benefit.

Something else to use is a spray box. Just a cardboard box with the top removed, turned on it's side. You can spray minis on one side, turn them, spray again, etc. Combined with a wood handle, like Doug suggests, this makes for fast work. The sides of the box prevents the primer from being affected by the wind as much, so it settles more evenly and you don't waste as much. (BTW, wear an OSHA mask or don't breath while you spray!)

BUT, this is best for primering large groups. For "display" quality work I attach a single mini to a pin vise or handle, hold with an old t-shirt over my hand, so I can be precise about coating it. I tilt and turn to get all the nooks and crannies...

And FWIW another + for Duplicolor sandable. Best primer I've ever used. (Yes, I tried the Tamiya at Reapercon this year. It looks nice, but it's temperamental in humidity. I've sprayed Duplicolor while it was raining or down in the 30's. No problems.)

Take care,

Laszlo

• Artists

Another vote for Duplicolor sandable. I like it enough to make special trips to the auto store to get it. (Granted there is an auto store 5 min from me, but it's still the only thing I go in there for other than wiper blades. ;->) The Tamiya is a nice quality primer, but I found it to be a little brittle - it cracked when I had to bend a mini's ankles slightly, and I haven't experienced that problem with other primers. I used to love Floquil, which may be one of the ones your hobby store carries, but they changed the formula a few years back and now it's just a runny mess in my experience. It's also more expensive than the Duplicolor.

I usually just brush prime display minis, and also use brush primer to touch up areas that rub off while painting and so on, and for that I use the Reaper Master Series, which comes in both white and black.

Something else to use is a spray box. Just a cardboard box with the top removed, turned on it's side. You can spray minis on one side, turn them, spray again, etc. Combined with a wood handle, like Doug suggests, this makes for fast work. The sides of the box prevents the primer from being affected by the wind as much, so it settles more evenly and you don't waste as much. (BTW, wear an OSHA mask or don't breath while you spray!)

I'd second the idea of using a spray box and a good spray mask designed for fumes and fine particles.

If you happen to be in a market for a good, inexpensive color laser printer, Dell makes good ones, and the boxes that they come in make very good spray boxes. ::):

Ron

Thanks all for all the wonderful advice.

I went and bought a can of Dupli-color and I must say it lives up to all the praise.

I particularly like the nozzle it comes with and how it gives much more control and fine misting.

Poe

Not for the brownie points, but...

The RMS paint-on primers are pretty awesome. I started out using GW's Smelly Primer (paint-on) right before they discontinued it. :grr: Tried more or less every spray primer before discovering the joys of Duplicolor, but I prefer paint-on, so RMS has been a godsend.

The RMS paint-on primers are pretty awesome

I would advise to have both a spray on and brush-on primer. As mentioned before, it's more about humidity and temperature than the brand. But, living in Minnesota, I can't always go outside and prime. That, or I don't want to carpet bomb primer all over just to coat one mini. That's where the brush on is useful.

Technique is also of some import. Priming is pretty idiot proof, but most importantly you should use light coats. To thick covers details. I also aim for a grey look afterwards, rather than full on white. From my understanding, a full on white coat means the mini is completely covered, and is smoother than a grey look. A grey look should allow the paint to adhere better, since it is more 'jagged'.