Sign in to follow this  
Chev

Noobie Question

I was just curious.Is there a more "skirmish" oriented game for Warlord? Something that only uses say,6 to 10 figures? Can you play Warlord with that few? Thanks

Warlord *is* a skirmish-level game. It can certainly be played with 6-10 figures. Any sub-500 point game would be just fine for that model-count.

~v

Actually the majority of players I've encountered have no more than 10 models for 500 points. And if you are looking at some factions you can easily make a thousand point army (the "standard" point value) with less then 10 models.

All depends on the models chosen. Obviously if you choose all archers and casters then you wont be trying to move a lot. if you choose melee guys then you will have more "personalized" attention...

Also depends on how many troops you have. My demo had two troops with three models each, and it seemed very skirmish. If both sides hurtled into the middle, it's a pitched battle. If they moved about, looking for weak spots, firing spells or arrows, then it's a free moving game. So...um...depends. Throw in a scenario (instead of Kill Em All) and Warlord gets much more interesting.

So,are you required to take a certain percentage of troops over other things? Do the troops have to stay in formation?Sorry for all the questions by the way.Just trying to decide if I want to buy in or not.

Army building is limited by a few rules. Gotta have a leader, and stats on that Leader's data card tell you what you must bring and what you can bring, to fill out a troop. You have a minimum and maximum number of Soldiers for each Leader. These can be mixed with every type of Soldier in the faction. Leaders can also bring some Elites with them, really cool hero types who can swing great weapons, blast magic, heal, skulk, etc. That's one troop: Leader, Elites (if you want), and Soldiers. These models don't have to be the same type. They don't have to be deployed together, stay together, bunk together, etc. The troop all activates at the same time, but does not have to take the same actions.

The other kind of troop is called a Solo, a single model either so big, so mean, so stealthful, or so crazy it is a troop all by itself. I love a monster solo. Monsters make the game to me, but they aren't the super mega destroyers that you find in other games. If I bring my Grave Horror out in the open with no back up, he's going down.

Hope that helped.

Yes. 4 would be the minimum number of Soldiers, 10 would be the maximum, and 2 would be the maximum number of Elites.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Warwick only left out two small details..

First, leaders can only lead soldiers that are the same or less point cost as themselves. They can include any elite, no matter the elites cost, but soldiers have to be submissive to their orders.

Second, he forgot to mention the third troop type, that of banded models troop. Some models have the SA Band. This allows them to create a troop made up of just themselves with no leader.

Otherwise, what he said.

Once on the table, models do not have to stick together. Which, when facing a spell caster with lots of AOE spells is a good thing to spread out. But at the same time, there are benefits to working together too, like for support and the taking advantage of the synergy of different Special Abilities. But, it is not a required thing.

To me, my favorite part of Warlord is the initiative system. The fact that it is random and every game hinges on what card flips over next. You can play the same game with the same models 10 times and come out with completely different games solely based on how the initiative comes out.

Hold on there, I didn't forget anything. I just didn't tell him everything. There's a difference. I forget nothing, comrade. Like no one mentioned you can't have more Solo Troops than Leader Troops in an army. See? That means you can't have an all Solo army, but it sure would be cool. If I want a big monster theme army, I put in the cheapest Leader with the cheapest Soldiers, then a BIG MONSTER SOLO. Some factions are better at this than others. Overlords have cool solos and cheap soldiers.