Old AD&D miniatures

twjolson

When I first started painting mini's, I cut my teeth on some of the old AD&D miniatures they use to put out. I mean old, like pre-WotC miniatures.

Anyone know of anyplace that sells them anymore? I would just repaint the first mini's, but I lost them in a move long ago.

Any help would be awesome.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The old Ral Partha AD&D line is dead, destroyed, and will never be cast again (save by Ebay pirates). Ebay is your best bet. That being said, however, check out Otherworld Miniatures, which does minis very much based on the old 1st Edition artwork.

Also don't forget our very own Reaper, which has some useful bits and figures!

Damon.

I miss the TSR paint a lot. They had a high pigment, and coved very nicely. Color choices were awesome, too. It would have been nice for them to sell their hobby line to someone capable of supporting it.

Oh, well. Back to painting Reaper...............

The old Ral Partha AD&D line is dead, destroyed, and will never be cast again (save by Ebay pirates). Ebay is your best bet. That being said, however, check out Otherworld Miniatures, which does minis very much based on the old 1st Edition artwork.

Also don't forget our very own Reaper, which has some useful bits and figures!

Damon.

Duh, how could I forget about eBay. I never think of eBay when it comes to mini's.

I already found the Umberhulk mini I did long ago. Damn that was just gawd-awful. Both the mini design and the colors I used...

I miss the TSR paint a lot. They had a high pigment, and coved very nicely. Color choices were awesome, too. It would have been nice for them to sell their hobby line to someone capable of supporting it.

Oh, well. Back to painting Reaper...............

I still have both my AD&D and Battletech paints, and still use them...

I still have a handful of these guys, as well...

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/tsr/adnd.html

Wow, speedy replies, that's awesome.

No, they were TSR branded mini's. Couldn't think of the company name when doing the original post. I'm fairly certain at least.

Ral Partha did these as well (IWM has the molds I am told), too bad WotC owns the rights to produce them. With their plastic range of minis, the metal ones will likely NEVER be cast again.

Any particular minis that you are looking for? I have several of the old blisters came in a box of minis I won off eBay years ago.

Cheers, Brian

I've read in several places that Ral Partha was required to destroy all of their AD&D molds long ago (possibly excepting a couple that the sculptors may have managed to hang onto, though without the right to produce them IIRC), so I don't believe IWM does have those molds. At least I think it was Ral Partha - Didn't Grenadier also have an AD&D line at some point? I seem to remember boxed sets with yellow boxes... Could be either or both that I'm thinking of. Whatever; it's just a shame, really. I have some fond memories of those minis from my youth as well.

Kang

Minifigs was the original holder of the D&D license (so, yes prior to AD&D), followed by Grenadier, although the deal was different and Grenadier could still sell their miniatures after they lost the license but had to remove the AD&D from the boxes. Then Ral Partha, under that license the molds and stock were destroyed when they lost it. You can still find the Chainmail figures out there if you do a little digging, that would be the last official AD&D line.

Any particular minis that you are looking for? I have several of the old blisters came in a box of minis I won off eBay years ago.

I would love to repaint the first mini I ever created. I would only know it by sight though. It was an ogre, long hair with a bit of it in a tail, a fur 'toga', and a large club in one hand which it held down towards the ground, as opposed to up in the air, mid-swing. It looked a little 'trollish' with a slender face and body, but it was labeled as an ogre. It may have had a belt, but I don't think it had any extras on it, such as pouches or such. I am fairly certain that it was connected with TSR, but that's half a guess.

I've read in several places that Ral Partha was required to destroy all of their AD&D molds long ago (possibly excepting a couple that the sculptors may have managed to hang onto, though without the right to produce them IIRC), so I don't believe IWM does have those molds. At least I think it was Ral Partha - Didn't Grenadier also have an AD&D line at some point? I seem to remember boxed sets with yellow boxes... Could be either or both that I'm thinking of. Whatever; it's just a shame, really. I have some fond memories of those minis from my youth as well.

Kang

Grenadier did the boxed set right before Ral Partha picked up the contract. From what I understand, Ral Partha owns the molds and so WotC could not require that they destroy them without compensation.

Kang

Grenadier did the boxed set right before Ral Partha picked up the contract. From what I understand, Ral Partha owns the molds and so WotC could not require that they destroy them without compensation.

I would seriously question whether those molds actually exist anymore or not. Its been a long time since the contract was pulled and molds take up a lot of space not to mention being rather heavy.