Old AD&D miniatures

twjolson

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be fairly certain that the molds don't exist anymore. Maybe some of the master figures are still kicking around, but I want to say that as part of the agreement, RP had to destroy the molds when they lost the license. Besides which, if they did still have them, and could (theoretically) reissue them, the minis hobby has advanced beyond those sculpts IMHO...

Damon.

Well, I never did find it on eBay, but I did find it on CMON.

My first mini

If anyone knows where to find one, I'd be grateful.

That's the WOTC D&D ogre. Technically that's post-AD&D (3rd Edition). It's part of a short-lived line that WOTC pretty much stopped making once they got into producing the Chainmail figures. As far as finding them, eBay is probably your best bet.

Some nice sculpts came out of that line, actually. I have that ogre, as well as the umber hulk (still haven't painted that one), the hill giant, a few of the PC minis, a kobold and goblin or two, and –of course– the black dragon.

My first mini

Isn't that just the Wizards box set ogre from around 2000/2001? You had us old-timers looking at our 1979 collections. If I am not totally fooling myself, that thing was also released in a box by itself, either to add to Chainmail, or just as a mini.

You may be in luck. I think I know where I can get my hands on one. Give me about 24 hours to see.

My first mini

Isn't that just the Wizards box set ogre from around 2000/2001? You had us old-timers looking at our 1979 collections. If I am not totally fooling myself, that thing was also released in a box by itself, either to add to Chainmail, or just as a mini.

You may be in luck. I think I know where I can get my hands on one. Give me about 24 hours to see.

Indeed it is. I have one sitting in my unfinished bin.

It was from the Monsters I box set, as well as released solo as WOC40092.

Thanks a ton. Having that item number really helps. I did a lot of the monsters from those sets now that I see them again. Ah, memories.

Do you have these?

WOC40046 (Gnoll)

WOC40052 (Troll)

WOC40085 (Human Rogue)

WOC40089 (Elf Fighter)

WOC40095 (Earth Elemental)

WOC88266 (Orc Assassin)

WOC40002 (Halfling Rogue)

WOC40018 (Ogre)

WOC40021 (Ettin)

WOC40020 (Hill Giant)

WOC40022 (Fire Giant)

WOC40016 (Cyclops)

WOC40007 (Bugbear)

I don't want to go through the trouble of buying just one figure from someone, but if you have a bunch of them, maybe we could make a deal. Painted is fine as well.

I don't want to go through the trouble of buying just one figure from someone, but if you have a bunch of them, maybe we could make a deal. Painted is fine as well.

I can't get those others, but I am 99% sure my closest FLGS has the ogre. I gaze at it occasionally, asking myself if I should pick it up just because I know I'll never see it again. They had two of them on a dusty shelf as of about six months ago, then only one as of a week or two ago.

Couldn't get there last night because my son and I are both a bit under the weather. But if you want, I can take a look this weekend.

Thanks a ton. Having that item number really helps. I did a lot of the monsters from those sets now that I see them again. Ah, memories.

Do you have these?

WOC40046 (Gnoll)

WOC40052 (Troll)

WOC40085 (Human Rogue)

WOC40089 (Elf Fighter)

WOC40095 (Earth Elemental)

WOC88266 (Orc Assassin)

WOC40002 (Halfling Rogue)

WOC40018 (Ogre)

WOC40021 (Ettin)

WOC40020 (Hill Giant)

WOC40022 (Fire Giant)

WOC40016 (Cyclops)

WOC40007 (Bugbear)

I know Noble Knight doesn't have the ogre, but they should have some of the others. Might want to check there.

One word of warning. I have 2 of those ogres, and both of my minis were flawed with cracks in the casting. Nothing a little putty won't cure, but the one I had to resculpt a strap. I don't know if QC improved or not, but getting 2 casts with issues like that was a bit disconcerting...

Damon.

One word of warning. I have 2 of those ogres, and both of my minis were flawed with cracks in the casting. Nothing a little putty won't cure, but the one I had to resculpt a strap. I don't know if QC improved or not, but getting 2 casts with issues like that was a bit disconcerting...

Damon.

Hmmm... My feeling is that maybe they got sloppy near the end, or those two are aberrations. I say this because I bought a good number of the Chainmail/3.0 WoTC metal minis and they were always top quality, with great lines, great detail and almost no flash. We're talking probably twenty-five to thirty models, and my only complaint is that some of the sculpts seemed to have been made a bit thin when you look along the axis, probably to save on manufacturing costs.

I'm one of those who feels it was a serious shame that WoTC dropped them. They were real quality minis, in my experience.

Damon.

I looked over mine. Admittedly, mine is from the box set, rather than the loose blister, but mine's in perfect shape. Hardly any mold lines even.

QC definitely dropped as the end approached.