Suggestion and a Question

twjolson

I just got my order from Reaper consisting of a few triads of paints and two casualty markers. I got a happy surprise of a free sample of the Master Series paint.

I think it's awesome you put the free sample in, but I have no idea what color this is. The wrap around sticker only says "Sample", but no name. All I can compare it to is the paints I have (which is less than half of the whole set) or the paint chart posted on the boards (which isn't accurate enough for me to pinpoint it). It looks Faded Purple, but it also bears a resemblance to the Rosy skin triad.

Far from complaining, I'm just proposing maybe put the regular stickers on, and then add a small free sample sticker later when and if that bottle becomes a sample. Otherwise, what is the point of a sample if doesn't lead to follow up sales. If I like it, I have no idea what other two paints to order to complete the triad.

As for my question, I bought 3 triads and got them. However, the day before they arrived, I noticed that you sell the paints in big packs, complete with the paint carrier. Is there a way I can order the paint caddy and the paints, but minus the ones I just ordered, with a bit of money taken off? Might be too much a pain to be worth your while, but worth asking because I really don't need doubles of these particular paints.

Another suggestion, off the top of my head. More casualty minis, but also make them of a comparable size. The two casualty markers I got look like someone armored up a couple kids (and killed them) compared to the regular minis I'm going to put into my diorama. I realize that I could hack and slash a mini into a dead body, but I am not confident of my ability and don't have too much of a desire to chop up minis I bought because they looked awesome fully assembled.

My two cents.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes sample bottles are from a batch of paint that didn't come out quite right for any variety of reasons. Instead of simply throwing it out though, we send it to our customers for them to try.

As for the question of can you order the paint caddy minus the paint you just bought you will need to call the office and talk with Adrienne. This may be possible but I don't know since I primarily work in casting and getting orders ready to go out. I haven't assembled any paint caddies since being at Reaper.

I got my ACon order earlier this week & it came with a silver metallic paint in it so I was happy to get the mystery master paint myself as this was my first actual "full-on" order with Reaper (others have been RCON non-physical orders & customer service orders).

Which btw I was very happy with, thanks employee # COWM-0043!!! :lol: I ordered Thurs last week & I received it Monday (or Tuesday). Very efficient order!! Thanks!!

Maybe a suggestion regarding the naming, maybe put what the color was suppose to be but put a * but it with the * meaning similar to, but having a explanation regarding what the sample is.

From what I remember, it could also be a color test for a new color that may or may not ever see production, so there is a chance that it really won't have a name at all. I know it hurts all of us that are O.C. about this kind of a thing, but...

Regarding the free sample paints, I understand all that, but a label, whether denoting the color name or something saying "Test Color" would be helpful.

@fieldarchy Thank you, when I am ready to order the next set (300 bucks is a bit steep for me to drop right now, but as soon as is feasible). I will phone it in and try and get a hold of Adrienne.

Regarding the casualty markers. Now that I got them out and primed them, they are comparable to the regular mini's. They still seem a bit small for me, but I can still use them.

I would, however, love if they made more dead and assorted body parts. It makes for more realistic dioramas, I think.

• Artists

I suspect the lack of label is a cost-saving measure. Giving out the bottles of not-quite-right or test colours as a gesture of goodwill already adds on the cost of the bottles. If they add on printing and applying the labels that costs additional supplies and employee time. I think a lot of Reaper's success in keeping prices down is due to their focus on running things as efficiently as possible.

Adding a "Should have been Color X, but ISN'T" seems kind of pointless. I mean, if your army is Ritterlich Blue, having a bottle of 'Ritterlich Blue but with too much Pthalo' doesn't do you any good.

The samples are a bite we add to get people to try our paint. Sometimes we make a mistake, and the results are obvious.

You're not the first person to wish you could know what color the sample 'should be'. But trying to identify what it should be is missing the point. It isn't. It does not match anything we produce, so cannot be accurately labeled as such. Besides, how much would it suck if we did label it "should have been ritterlich blue' and you misread the label in a hurry and basecoat your brand new figure wrong? or grab the mistake ritterlich halfway through the highlighting stage and now all your highlights are made form the wrong base?

Better not to have that word on the bottle at all, I think.

Besides, some samples aren't failed colors. 6 months after we cancel a color, we relabel all inventory that's left as samples and give those out, too. Sometimes, Anne makes samples when we don't have any to give out, just to experiment with a new formula idea. In those cases, what do we put? "experiment 626"?

Nah. Sample is easy and conveys what we want it to convey. "This bottle is a sample of our paint, please try it."

I understand your points Bryan - however, there could be a couple good reasons to be able to identify a sample color in some way. I'd go with a batch number stamped on the bottle myself.

I have a sample bottle here myself, it's a rather unique purple color. If I wanted to paint an entire army using that color, I would be hard pressed to match that color once my sample bottle ran out. If, however, the sample bottle had at least a batch number on it, I could ask here or elsewhere to buy or trade for a bottle of sample batch 626.

Or let's say one of Anne's expiremental sample batches turned out to be very popular/unpopular, Reaper would have a way to get more feedback on it. Instead of someone writing in and saying "Hey, I loved/hated that sample bottle of kind of not ritterlich purple I got", they could say "Sample batch 626 rocks!" or "Sample batch 666 sucks"

I disagree Bryan. Being a more amatuer painter, the label of a paint is critical, even if the paint isn't quite right. If this is a bad batch of Rosy Skin, that makes a world of difference to me than if it is Faded Purple. If I were a more experienced painter, maybe that extra Pthalo would matter, but as it stands, I am not quite sure that Pthalo is actually a word, much less that I would notice it affecting my mini. A more discerning painter I am sure, but I have a feeling that they would notice the difference by sight.

That said, if I do not know which paint it is, or was intended to be, I have no idea how to highlight or shadow it. Again, I am a simple painter. You highlight Deep Red with Blood Red, why, because the fancy chart Reaperbryan posted says so. Hmmm, I don't see 'Sample' on the chart, now what!? Yup, that's me. Maybe someday I'll be a more discerning painter.

I do like the tagging experimental paints for feedback though, great idea kristof65.

Again, and I can not state this enough, the fact that Reaper gives out sample paints, aside from being a wise business solution, is just awesome. Stuff like this is why I go to them first for any of my mini needs.

Again, and I can not state this enough, the fact that Reaper gives out sample paints, aside from being a wise business solution, is just awesome. Stuff like this is why I go to them first for any of my mini needs.

Ditto...

We're still happy Reaper is giving us our free cake, even if you won't tell us if it's vanilla or chocolate...

...as it stands, I am not quite sure that Pthalo is actually a word....

Good choice; it's not. The real word is Phthalo (an abbreviation of phthalocyanine).wink.gif

In the main, though, I agree with Bryan. You certainly don't want to send out something marked as "Failed Batch of Random Red". It doesn't show the company in a good light.

You also probably don't want to try to track what the proportions were for a failed batch, since tracing back exactly what the error was is probably more trouble than it is worth. And if you can't recreate it reliably, the value to Reaper of even tracking batches individually is pretty limited.

FWIW, please keep sending out random samples. If I want to shade, I'll add something dark and if I want to highlight, I'll add something light.

And if I want Reaper to create more, I'll send a swatch for Anne to match.

It would be nice to know, but at the same time it isn't that difficult to go label them yourself. Open the bottle, paint a sheet of paper and see what it looks similar to. Paint a stripe of that next to it and compare. If it is the same, label it as such. If it is almost the same, label it "Similar to X Color", and if it is a new one for you, invent a name for it. That way you'll have your bottle to reference, and at least for me, a bottle of paint lasts a darn long time. It is more at risk of getting the cap stuck on than being completely used up (besides perhaps the pre-mixed washes).