Sign in to follow this  
torak101

stripping paint off a mini

Hi all,

I just picked up some really badly painted minis off of ebay.(nice minis for a good price)

What is the best way to strip that paint job off? It looks like standard GW or so paint, no enamels. They are metal minis not plastic.

I usually try soaking it for 48 hours (or more) in Simple Green first (slower, but non-toxic) - http://www.simplegreen.com/

- Simple green will dissolve superglue and greenstuff but leave metal and styrene plastic alone.

If that doesn't work I use Castrol Super Clean/Degreaser (purple bottle). Soak overnight. Use rubber gloves.

I think there is abwhole thread about this under the painting tips board.

But I will add my support for simple green as well. Good stuff, though it's been harder for me to find than in yesteryears.

Acetone!

(I ain't kiddin'. I've got a couple dozen in a spaghetti jar right now)

((I also use Simple Green (Not at the same time of course!) when I'm looking to protect superglue or plastic))

I gave any minis that need stripping a bath of Pine Sol for about 48 to 72 hours works great. I have ths works better on metal rather than resin/plastic, but it does the job just the same. This would be similar the Simple Green already suggested, I just gennerally have PineSol on hand.

The link below is pinned in the painting forum and loaded with ideas.

Stripping materials compendium

I usually start with Simple Green. I've seen it at Walmart in the automotive department. If that doesn't get all of it on the first soak and I'm not in a hurry, it goes back in the Simple Green. If I'm in a hurry, I get out the Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner & Preserver to finish up the harder parts, spotting it on as needed. It is very effective at dissolving Reaper paints and even spray primer stuck in the cracks.