haldir

Pathfinder pbp: Howl of the Carrion King

While the fires have been put out, the various members of Almah's group introduce themselves to everyone that helped them.

To everyone that helped in gathering the animals up, the old man introduces himself as Hadrod & his wife, Hadrah to you. "He thanks the party for help in returning the animals back into the pen. He says while there is enough food, it is nice to have them just in case. You can still see that lost of his favorite goat, Rombard is weighing on his mind.

Raineer nods at each as people introduce themselves.

The old cleric, Zastoran, introduces himself to you, Raineer. He thanks you for healing the wounded. You can see the man woships Nethys, god of magic. The wounded solider introduces herself as Alzubra & thanks you for saving her life.

Raineer will kneel, placing my spear flat to the ground but still maintaining a solid grasp of it, as to lower himself as if a servant to both Zastoran and Alzubra and humbly say, "It was the least I could do. I follow the fire in my heart." He rises back to his feet again presenting himself now as an equal.

[quote name='haldir'As the camp returns to the normal you see the beautiful woman Almah command the soliders to make sure the fires are out for good. She does tell everyone to try & conserve water thou, if flames can be snuffed with dirt or something else, then to use that method instead. As she surveys the camp she chats with Gravel about something. She disappears into the largest tent afterward.

As the woman turns to leave, Gravel comes to attention & turns around & walks toward the group. When he reaches the group he says, "Almah, wishes to thank everyone for the help in the putting out the fire & also for conserving the supplies in doing so quickly. She also wishes to convene with everyone in the main tent as soon as possible."

Ranieer will guide his mount to a place near the other mounts, secure it and head to the main tent.

The young man's eyes flicker blue as praise is passed around, yet he is ignored. Na'im exhales slowly and the tension in his jaw relaxes as he rises from his place of rest and follows Garavel to the tent along with the others from the group.

Maybe next time I should let the wagon burn instead of saving it, Na'im thinks darkly.

Dru: Listens in on the meeting from his horse. Takes one last scan around the area for danger, and then dismounts, tying his horse up. He heads to the main tent as directed.

Yuko walks up to the burnt tree and closely examines some of the ashes. Seeming content with what she sees, she walkes over to her camel, rumages through her bags, and pulls out some sake. A ferret crawls out from one of her long sleeves just as she opens the bottle, takes a drink and strikes up a conversation with what appears to be the wind. After a few more sips of sake, she pulls a red handkercheif from her obi and folds it into a butterfly. She mutters a few words, blows into the handkercheif, and it flys off into the distance. The ferret seems to look delighted.

The announcement is made, and Yuko packs up her things to walk over to the main tent.

Garavel leads the the group into the large tent. Upon entering, inside looks like what you would typically see in a tent of a Arabic royalty. There is a large round table in the middle of the room, thou it only sits about 2 feet off the ground. There are large pillows around it as well. On the table are a couple of maps & other papers. A large map shows the surrounding area, there is settlement on the map that is marked. You can see the name of a settlement is called Kelmarane. Also marked is a monastery, simply marked Old Monastery. There are other places on the map as well but none of these are marked as well as the previous places. You can see a map of the settlement sticking out from under the large map. It's crude but it shows the main buildings & such. It appears to be a large village.

Kelmarane & the Surrounding Area

There is also 2 other rooms in the tent, large sheets of dark silk with intricate designs cover the openings. As everyone enters, Gravel announces to Almah the party's arrival

"Milady, the group of adventurers is here to see you."

The woman named Almah steps from out from one of the sheets of silk. You get a better look at the woman, as she taken off the hood in favor of jeweled circlet. You are surprised that she isn't a native of Katapesh, but a Varisian from far off Varisia to the north. (Game note: Varisians are kinda like gypsies in the real world.) She has slightly dark skin & you can see she has long curly black hair which is pulled away from her face which is shows off her beautiful bright blue eyes. You see she has modest amount of make up, except for eyes, which she has applied dark blue to them. Your not sure if it's to ward off the sun or for appearance.

She is wearing a brightly colored robe with native Katapesh designs. Her feet are bare but you can see she is wearing a gold anklet. She is also wearing a couple rings, bracelets & other pieces of jewelery.

Almah Roveshki

As she enters the room she says

"May Abadar's wealth find you all peace & prosperity"

"Welcome to my camp, adventurers, please be seated." She gestures to the pillows surrounding the table. "Garavel, please get out guests something to drink & eat, I'm sure the journey here was taxing. Also find Kordan & bring him here. Even thou he has heard the information it would be nice for him to meet the people that he will be working with."

"Yes, Milady." with that Garavel bows & leaves the tent.

"I am Almah Roveshki. As you can see I'm not native to these lands but my family has lived in Katapesh for many generations. My family has served the Pactmasters of Katapesh for almost as long as my family has lived here in Katapesh. Thou I'm not afraid to admit that most of those years, my family hasn't lived in luxury due to some bad investments by relatives & rival merchants, out to put my family down. I am proud to say that I'm trying to set my family line back on track."

"I sent Garavel into Solku looking for able bodies that want to work for their pay. I see he didn't disappoint me." She overlooks the party with a smile on her face. "Please introduce yourselves to me, so I may get to know you better."

(you can reply, but for the most part the party does (or doesn't) explain who they are & what they were doing in Solku at the time Garavel offered the job.)

"Ah, thank you everyone." She says after hearing everyone's tale. At this time Garavel enters with what appears to be a guard bearing a tray of fruit, some meat & a pitchers of liquid.

"Please, Kordan sit with the others." she says to the guard.(ENTER Col. Kane's character)

At this time Garavel sits down at the table as well.

"Why I've brought you all here is this: The village of Kelmarane use to be in my family's name, not as a ruler, like a Sheik or King, but as a overseer or mayor. My grandfather was mayor long ago. It also sits in a strategic place for business & trade."

"Long ago, the village was one of several the area that is situated around a battle market. What is a battle market you wonder? It's a huge arcade that attracted merchants, gladiators, actors, musicians, & customers from throughout Katapesh & neighboring Osirion (the Egyptian country in Golorian). Then, about 20 years ago… it fell, the Pactmasters abandoned it to ruin. Rumors of plagues & evil curses abound, but in truth no one really seems to know why the village died. About 2 years ago, a pack of gnolls from the Kulldis tribe inhabited the battle market & claimed Kelmarane as its own, a large lair you might say. The Pactmasters want this village back under their rule, and it’s up to us to deliver it to them.”

Na'im sits and makes himself comfortable at the table, procuring the offered refreshment. When it is his turn to speak, he addresses Almah directly.

"Thank you for sharing your table. My reasons for being in Solku are my own, however you need not fear that I come to you fleeing the authorities or any other seeking me harm and as a result, bringing harm upon your household. My family named me Na'im."

This is the most polite, anyone has heard Na'im during the entire journey.

[OOC: Na'im is an Arabic name that means "tranquil, at ease"]

After Almah relates the nature of their employment:

"I understand why you seek this undertaking. But it seems the Pactmasters are using your desire to raise your family's status and history in Kelmarane to their own ends. What did they forget in Kelmarane 20 years ago that the gnolls now threaten?"

[OCC: Knowledge (Arcana): 7+d20 = 14 RE: Any encounter with information about possible curses/plagues/items of power reputedly lost in Kelmarane]

After seating himself on a pillow in a corner, and after the first person introduces themselves he will introduces himself, "I am Raineer. He offers a respectful nod to Almah and a warm smile. <merchant & trade knowledge of her family name, the town names and trade routes: Any information I know I will keep to myself for now> I suspect the smoke has revealed our position to all for many miles in all directions. This can work against any plans we might make if we take too long to act on those plans." He will then find some food and drink, indicating he is finished speaking for now.

"My name is Sha'kin; your man Garavel purchased my services after my last master's assets were seized. I will be happy to aid you in what way I can in return for my freedom."

Kordan walks in and sets the tray and pitchers down on table and sits down as close to Almah as his can and watch the others. Listens to her tale. "As always my Lady, my sword is your's to command. What ever we do it should be quick as that fire will send a signal for miles around."

(OCC: Whispers to Almah in Vaisian)

"And as always you look stunning tonight"

Dru, arriving a bit late after seeing to his horse, moves to the table, and seats himself with the others. "I am Dru." He then begins to eat.

Upon mention of the gnolls, his eyes brighten and he sits up a bit straighter, his hand unconsciously slipping toward the hilt of his sword.

Raineer

You actually have heard of her family name, Roveshki. What she said is true. Her family has had bad dealings & such that has effected their finicial standing. There also have been numerous outside influences on her name as well. There has also been someone among the Roveshki family that betrayed her family for the prize of gold & other riches. The family name has been on upside in recent years thou.

Na'im

You don't seem to recall any arcane knowledge pertaining Kelmarane.

Almah looks to you & says. "I don't know why they let it fall. I guess they didn't think it was worth their time perhaps? The resources to try & take it back may have outweighed the ones gained from the market. I just know they want it back now."

Kordan

"Thank you Kordan. You have been most kind to me since our first meeting." she says to you in Varisian. The native tongue of her people rolls off her tongue in a eloquent & harmonious way.

Dru

"I welcome your sword, epically with gnolls. Nasty things."

Sha'kin

"I am sure you will repay the debt in due time. I do not care for your past crimes, they are none of my concern.

Everyone

What is my concern in the re-taking that village, thou right now what concerns me at the present is how that fire was started?"

"If you ask me Milady, it was that desert rat, Dashki." Garavel answers his Mistress with full intent.

"Now come now, Garavel. Dashki may not be cleanest, nor honest man out in the desert. He would not do such a thing." Almah replies to him.

"I just don't trust the man, that is all. He always has a shifty look to him. Pardon my words, Milady." Garavel says as he bows his head.

"I value your opinion, my most favored servant. Actually I would like you to, no I think I will hand this task off to you." She looks at the party.

"Since you do not have a side of anyone in this camp, I would like you to investigate who started the fire & killed Eloasis. He was a Varisian Harrower, a fortune teller, that I hired in Solku about a month ago before we set out here. While I am Varisian, I don't follow the cards like my people but I thought perhaps it would feel "right" having him along this time. I didn't think it would cost him his life thou. (you see she lowers her eyes a bit & her face shows sadness)"

"I would like you to interview everyone in the camp & gauge what you find. While I don't think the wagon was delibrately set on fire, I'm not ruling that out right now. Please interview everyone. she says.

"You can interview me right now. I have nothing to hide." Garavel says.

Na'im looks to Garavel and addresses him, "You were riding with us as we approached the fire after a days long journey. Unless you're playing a very long, complicated game, I think we can skip you. If our purpose was to ferret you out, you would have hired far less competent associates as we. You would have held us back and let the fires continue instead of immediately ordering us to save the caravan."

Na'im turns and addresses Almah, "Garavel seems to suspect Dashki, but you disagree. Is there anyone else that you may suspect? Even a little. We know little of you and nothing of the people you travelled with. The fortune teller died. Was anyone else seriously injured or had their wares damaged? Do you suspect what happened may be directed at you, to delay or limit your ability to be successful in Kelmarane? Someone opposed to the Pactmaster's plans, or someone opposing your family directly."

After a pause, Na'im adds, "And how do you expect us to gain cooperation from those you travel with? We are strangers to them. Will you be alerting them that we are acting as your agents in this matter and expect cooperation?"

Dru nods his agreement and continues eating. 'Best to allow the talking types to talk while there is talking to be done; the time for action will come soon.' he thinks as he contemplates a rather succulent piece of fruit he's never seen before.