Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Pathfinder pbp: Howl of the Carrion King

"I... am Calaverius..." he spoke, labored from the lack of water. "I was... attacked by gnolls, I escaped... the others didn't."

"I could smell your camp for miles... which means the gnolls... could smell your camp for tens of miles..." he said, nearly choking from the dryness and swelling in his throat.

"please... spare some water..."

<< Sorry for not responding for so long, I have not been around the internet for 3 weeks and the 2 weeks before that my like was filled too full>>

After scanning the guards and others around I will keep my observations to myself for now.

With the interruption of the wanderer...Scan Calaverius as long as my spell is active.

If no one gives him water, I will give him a small bit so he doesn't get sick. "Drink this, only a little until your more recovered, lest you get sick." If healing will help his condition, I will also provide a simple restorative healing on him.

(note, Cal' is on a different time then the rest of the group, the times will come together when you meet one anther)

Calaverius

The guard sees the injury on your shoulder & can see that your exhausted. He reaches for his own waterskin & hands it to you. He looks around & into the darkness, before helping you down the hill & into the camp. He hands you off to anther guard & he returns to his position.

The guard leads you a small tent. It is full of makeshift shelves. There are tons of bottles on them. Some you can make out as cure potions, bless & other clerical type of magic. Inside at again a makeshift desk is a old man. He has white, long hair. He also has a beard in a typical Katapeshian style. He looks up from a book he is reading as the two of you enter.

"Father Zastoran, sorry to disturb you but this man has need of your aid." the guard says & backs away. He doesn't leave thou.

"Ah, anther newcomer? I don't recognize you from earlier?" he says as he comes closer.

"According to Dullen this man came out of nowhere from the desert. Says his group was attacked & killed by gnolls. He is injured.

"Yes, yes I see the injury." Zastoran says.

He hands you a waterskin as he puts one hand around his holy symbol, which is shaped like a face but one side is black & the other is white. He says a magical word & his hands glow a light blue & he touches your injury. You feel the muscles knit back together. The blood vessels stitch themselves together & finally your skin close up as the spell wears off.

"There now. Are you hungry? I have some fruit but I can get you something else if you need it. So tell me your story." he says

You relate your tale to him.

"Hmmm yes the gnoll raiders have been getting bolder lately. There must be a force behind them that is driving them or it could be they've gotten fiercer, if that is possible."

the old man says to the guard

"Trevvis, go & fetch Garavel or if you need to, Lady Almah. We must tell them of our newcomer here."

The guard nods & leaves the tent.

"Garavel is the majordomo here at the camp. He might have use for you if your capable."

The main party Also note: Welcome Runestone Cowboy to the game, he will now be playing Sha'kin's role as Daidreg the dwarven rogue.)

The guard that the party was talking with goes back to whatever he was doing which was eating some food & chats with the other guard that was with him. As you've noticed there are 2 sets of guards in the camp. There are the 4 guards that guard only Almah, the 2 at the tent & the 2 that you are now leaving. These four are wearing a distinctive set of red chitin-plate armor. (anyone with Knowledge:Local, Nobility or Religion to see if you can determine if they belong to a organization).

There is also anther set of guards. They are more of general set of guards, & do not follow a dress code. They appear to be almost as ragtag as the party. One of these guards has come to the party & Garavel.

The guard leads the party to a small tent. Inside is a makeshift shelving full of bottles & potions. Most of them are labeled & almost all of them are clerical types of potions. There is a makeshift desk. On top of it is a glass figurine that glows brightly, shedding light over the contents of the desk. There is a rather large open book. There is also a small traveling shrine set up near the back of the tent. As well as some chests & other items.

A man sits at on cot, drinking & eating. While Father Zastoran sits behind the desk.

"Ah Garavel, good that you came so quickly." Zastoran says.

"I came as fast I could, so who is our newcomer? The arsonist, ready to turn himself over? Knowing that he could never survive the desert." Garavel says.

Calaverius

Garavel is a tall man of Katapeshian decent. He has a hawk-shape nose & a short crop beard. He is wearing long white desert robes & a equally white keffiyeh. You see the man looks you over.

The human on the cot is wearing clothes similar to what is worn customarily by affluent desert merchants, if they weren't so dirty. His head is wrapped in a turban, and he wears a cloak clasped closed around his thin frame. He looks weathered for his age, and a short black beard is showing under his turban. A cloth filter mask is tied around his neck, ready to be hoisted into place.

Calaverius continues to sip his water. Upon being addressed directly, he stands and adjusts his clothing to look less like a pitiful desert scrub.

"Arsonist? No," Calaverius says, "I have set a few fires in my day, but mostly people trying to rob my shop. And as for my survival in the desert, I assure you I am capable. I am only in this situation because I overestimated the safety of the city's borders. We were overrun by a gnoll assault, and thanks to the utter inability of the city's guards to repel our attackers, I currently find myself among a caravan of strangers. I thank the priest for his hospitality, but your blind accusation I will not stand for. I find your hospitality lacking, but I suppose with the gnolls running rampant all over the place, I must tolerate the humans I find company with."

Calaverius looks over the people standing in the room with him.

"I hear from the priest you may have use of capable individuals. I am considered quite capable in a few areas. I specialize in alchemy, but I have other, more mundane skills. My name is Calaverius."

OOC: I have changed my avatar to reflect what my character looks like under more ideal conditions than he is currently in.

(OOC: Knowledge (Local) 7+10=17 ; regarding the manner of dress the guards exibit)

A dwarf wearing desert clothing and displaying a close cropped beard as well as hair mutters to himself, "Seems to me alchemists are arsonists, just not intentional ones..."

Cal seems to be recuperating quite well. After his wound was healed & with the water & food, the priest gave him he appears to be on his way back to full health.

"Ha ha, I like your bravo." Garavel says

"Lady Almah may have a place for you in this expedition." he says after hearing of your occupation.

"When you are ready, we should visit her & see what she says."

(The dress of the 4 guards around Lady Almah's tent are Pactmaster Guards. These guards serve the Pactmasters, mysterious rulers of Katapesh but more so the Trade of Katapesh. They may be assigned to guard anther like a noble or in this case a merchant-princess. You know the guards will defend the person they are charge with but ultimately they answer to one person & that is the Pactmasters themselves)

Garavel says to the party, "You make continue your investigation, I will take Calaverius to see Lady Almah & I will return. He pulls a ring off his finger & gives it to Na'im & says "Show this to everyone you talk to while I'm gone. The people know that I wear this."

Calaverius

You make your way to the main tent, the two guards stand at attention when they see Garavel. He parts the main flap.

"M'lady?" he says "I hate to disturb you, but we have a guest."

After a bit a woman of Varisian decent appears from behind a tent flap. She is wearing a robe with bright patterns & glittering designs. Her head is covered by a light hood.

"Evening, My name is Almah Roveshki."

Good Evening, madame. I am Calaverius Cazacul, chemist, physician, and merchant. I stumbled into your camp after a good deal of dehydrated wandering following a gnoll attack on the city I was in. Having nowhere to return to, I offer my services to your caravan, at least until we get to the next civilization.

The merchant princess says to you

"Fate has deemed that you suvived the gnoll attack. The gnolls tribes have always been aggressive but lately they seem to have a purpose in their attacks.

She talks to you about the mission, pretty much what she told the others. She was hired by the Pactmasters to re-acquire the village of Kelmarane due to it's strategic trade position in the area. The village was overrun by gnolls & will have to be taken back by force.

She says your skills as a alchemist + your apparent desert survival skills could come in handy & offers you a spot in the group. She offers you the same reward as the other players (thou that reward I have no idea, cause I can't find it in the book :rock: )

Calaverius says, "Well then, as they say, you have a deal. I will do what I can to assist you with what meager supplies I managed to escape with."

"Please, if we have what you need, re-stock your personal supplies. We should have plenty." she says (again no need to "erase" or "mark" new equipment, surprisingly you have everything you started with :blink:::): )

"In that case, we should get back to the group then. They may have trouble with the negotiations." Garavel says.

You bid the merchant princess farewell & follow Garavel back to the party. He explains on the way that Lady Almah has assigned the party to ask the various groups in the camp about where they were before the fire was started & what they saw around that time as well.

Since the party wasn't here, they would be neutral to whoever they talked too. After the investigation was over to report back to merchant-princess herself.

Garavel also says that he has formed his opinion & thinks it's a hired gnoll expert Dashki that started the fire. The boy is lazy & worthless & he seems to be the type that would start such a thing. Besides he smells like gnoll fur.

You return to the party (wherever they are all leave that up to them)

Calaverius will stop by the supply wagon to get a the things he requires for his work, and a few things to use in case some gnolls decide to attack again. He will then join the party and inquire as to how the investigation is going so far.

Seeing that the party has things well in hand at their current location, Calaverius will head to speak to Father Zastoran, the only one of the people who he has met besides those who are above suspicion.

"Father Zastoran, may i have a few words with you?"

Steps out from behind the screen:

Ok the party just started interviewing the various "factions" within the camp

Garavel: He thinks it's Dashki. As the kid just has the feeling + he is lazy, doesn't really contribute to the camp.

Lady Almah's personal guard: There is 4 of them. They said they say Dashki playin "peepin tom" on Almah before the fire broke out. Where her tent is compared to where the fortune teller's wagon is, there is no way the gnoll expert could have started the fire by himself.

Calvernus has enter the story, while Daidreg the dwarven rogue is now playing Sha'kin's part as Vil-hatarn & Wandering Child have bowed out. (open player slot)

The party with Garavel went to meet this new person with Father Zastoran, Garavel took Cal to meet Almah & she has made him a party member. Back to Father Z, he could be the next person to be interviewed or someone else.

Really that is about it, mainly waiting for everyone to come back to the game. Really all we need to hear from is Qwyksilver & Col Kane.

RM

(The dress of the 4 guards around Lady Almah's tent are Pactmaster Guards. These guards serve the Pactmasters, mysterious rulers of Katapesh but more so the Trade of Katapesh. They may be assigned to guard anther like a noble or in this case a merchant-princess. You know the guards will defend the person they are charge with but ultimately they answer to one person & that is the Pactmasters themselves)

Do they have a similar piece of jewelry or other item that binds them as is evident with Garevel?