Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Last night's unexpected DDO Mabar exploit ban-hammering - venting

Anyone else play DDO (ie. Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited)?

Anyone else who plays DDO participate in the recent Mabar Endless Night (AKA Hallowe'en Live) Festival?

Anyone else who plays DDO and participated in the recent Mabar festival suddenly get booted off the game last night, about a week-and-a-half after the festival ended, and receive an email "explaining" that your account has been suspended for 3 days because of some exploit you've allegedly taken advantage of in the festival, but not actually saying what it is you're supposed to have done wrong?

The email almost explained what the offense was, but the sentence got cutoff in mid-stride, typo-style, something along these lines:

"Specifically, a DM has determined that you Recently we conducted an investigation into an exploit that was being utilized in Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, involving our recent Mabar, The Endless Night Festival. As a result of that investigation, your account, has been identified in utilizing this exploit."

In case it doesn't go without saying, I have no idea what 'exploit' I might have used, and certainly never noticed anything happening that seemed to benefit my character in an unexpected way or anything like that. All I did was kill undead, take their stuff, and use it to craft cool magic items for my characters. Which was sort of the point of the whole festival. Spent quite a bit of real-world cash in the game's online store on coffees for my characters that would let them heal faster and survive the festival a little better too, since it took place in a public area where you can't summon hireling clerics to keep you healed up like you can in just about any other part of the game where you are at risk of taking damage...

Within the time it took me to go to Turbine's support site and file an appeal + request for information on exactly what I've been accused of doing, a new thread more than 6 pages long had appeared and grown on the DDO forums, filled with people like me who'd been warned, or suspended for 3 days, or suspended for 7 days, or maybe even banned (not sure about that). I began reading hundreds of stories describing how exactly what had just happened to me (including the unfortunate typo) had also happened to the completely baffled people posting them, and how none of them had any idea why either. When I clicked to get the 6th page of the thread to come up, surprise (OK, not really)! The whole thread was suddenly deleted. Not locked, but deleted altogether. Great.

It's hard to believe it's a coincidence that the account suspensions and emails went out 10 minutes after their offices closed for the night, so that people who would prefer not to wait 3 days or more to get a reply to their emailed appeal of a 3-day suspension couldn't call in to get more info any sooner than this morning. I'd be quite tempted to call them today and ask, but I didn't write the number down and all their sites are blocked from here so I can't look it up.

In a way it's nice to get a vacation from DDO - the game tempts me away from my minis more often than I'd like anyhow, and I do have a couple I've been wanting to work on getting completed... But the accusation that I somehow cheated when I'm sure I never did, coupled with the fact they just won't say what this alleged cheating entailed, really sticks in my craw. There are at least hundreds of extremely ticked off DDO players out there today. Many of them have been paying customers since the game first went online and have never faced any sort of disciplinary action before this; I wonder how many of them will let their VIP subscriptions lapse as a result of this fiasco? I play for free rather than subscribing, though I do spend a fair bit of real-world money in their store on things like adventure packs, gold-seal hireling contracts, the odd resurrection cake, or what have you, and I have been considering a subscription to get the rest of the adventure packs unlocked and raise the number of characters I can have on each server, as well as a few other benefits VIP subscribers get, but now I just don't know. I love playing the game, but this really is just that upsetting.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to me vent about this; just had to let off some steam is all... though I am also curious to find out if anyone else around here plays DDO and/or was similarly affected.

Kang

Well, I got home from work to find an email apologizing for the erroneous supension and an expanation about how a glitch in their disciplinary action systems caused some false bans and emails to go out, and an assurance that it was an "isolated" incident. Plus they gave me 100 turbine points for free (I would have spent either almost as much or a bit more last night). Those who got warned but not kicked off the game (like one of my guild bros who I adventure with often) got an apology and the warning was removed from their account history

I'd have to say this outcome is satisfactory; an apology goes a long way (and the free points don't hurt either).

So much for this giving me time to work on minis in the absence of DDO temptation though... not that I'mcomplaining too much about getting let back into the game or anything...

Kang