Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

Paint that!

Thanks to Greenie, I did some painting this week, a task I love but rarely make time to do. I painted two Chronoscope superheroes. Now I'm looking at my pile of silvery Warlord models. You're next! Why am I telling you? So you can hold me accountable. So where to start? I don't want to jump in with my Warlord, nor do I want to slog it out with my Soldiers. How about a Sarge? Sigurd, front and center! Time to get some paint on your barbaric hide!

What Warlord goodness are you painting this week?

Ok, Warwick, you are on... I accept your challenge.. oh, by the way, what is the challenge? Complete paintjob, one week? first to so many? see how many fiddly bits we can paint?

If its the one per week or something like that, then I gladly need to light that same fire under my own bohiney and will try to see if I can match your output.. to be able to each hold the other accountability in check...

Right now one a week would make me very happy. That's all I can shot for. Sigurd done by Saturday. What do you have? Some BSG? Do the carrion worm thingy.

well, i got three models glued together and based last night. I will be priming them and hopefully start painting them too, tonight. 2 of the three should be fairly easy and quick, those would be the phase cats from Darkreach. Not a lot of fiddly bits so I should be able to get them done.

The third is really more me getting it ready to be my one model for next week. Its the new Pathfinder Dragon that I am going to use as my shadow dragon in Darkreach.

I also have some Overlords waiting in line but I feel like doing those a little later, they have more fiddly bits that I am not ready to starting attacking yet.

I ruined a couple of bases last night trying to do something cool and nifty. Seriously, I hate basing. Sigurd sits while I fiddle with his base. He's not happy.

I'm trying to find a quick, cool base that will look good over and entire army. Something that reflects the army, too. I might have too many wants for a base when a simple coat of green paint will do.

I might have too many wants for a base when a simple coat of green paint will do.

Please don't paint the base green! At least sprinkle on some sand or gravel to give it some texture and paint it an earth tone. If you told us what climate type you were thinking we might be able to provide you with some easy basing ideas.

Is it a texture issue, if I paint the base green? What if I paint a cool Merc logo on each base? What if I paint the base to look like a texture where there is none? I'm just asking because I get conflicting opinions on this. It seems some people really hate a painted base and I wonder why.

What Warlord goodness are you painting this week?

I pulled out my trio of Sokar's *mumble mumble*, whatever those croc headed constructs are. They've been sitting since Sept. half painted.

And I'm prepping a pile of Dark Heaven figures to paint over the holiday.

It seems some people really hate a painted base and I wonder why.

I don't have an issue with plain painted bases but a lot of people think there should be some representation of ground under the mini, either sand, flock, or painted stone/tile.

I bought some static grass today. All I can say is ... wow ... that stuff is gold. Easiest basing I've ever done and it looks great. Add a few details (severed limbs, heads, cracked helms, loose change, can of Coke, tackle box, Big Mac) and my army is ready to roll!

Is it a texture issue, if I paint the base green? What if I paint a cool Merc logo on each base? What if I paint the base to look like a texture where there is none? I'm just asking because I get conflicting opinions on this. It seems some people really hate a painted base and I wonder why.

It is not that I am against painted bases in general. The suggestions above could look pretty cool. It is when someone just paints a solid color on a base and calls it "good enough". A good base can greatly improve a mediocre paintjob, just as a bad base can really bring down a good paint job.

Example:

Miniatures022.jpg

The bases just look lazy on these pretty good minis and brings down the overall effectiveness.

I failed to get my mini painted last week. However, I took a great leap forward in my basing skills. I'll be trying again this week to paint up Sigurd. He was slain on Thursday, all unpainted and silver. How sad. Next fight, he's going to have clothes on. Can't expect him to fight hard with no clothes on.

Off topic, my Mercs lost the day, but we proved how crazy tough we can be. Four Ronin killed off a Hunting Beast and Nefsokar Avatar.

I managed to get 4 skeletons completed - two sword & board, a pike & shield, and an archer. Nothing fancy, just bone colored, washed, with gear painted appropriately.

I need to start up a new D&D character so I have an excuse to paint up a good character mini. Lately the special characters have been intriguing me way more than the rank and file. Not that that's really new, or unique even, but I've just not had the inclination to paint up soldiers at ALL.

Add me to the"good basiing makes a good paintjob look better" school of thought. I've seen not so good paintjobs enhanced by good basing.

Perhaps my personal fave basing has sand (for gravel texture), static grass, and my personal snow recipe of baking soda, salt, and sugar. The salt and sugar give a wet snow look; the baking soda dries it out so to speak.

Reminder to self to post pics of my bone grinders and shredders here.