Miniature-related pet peeves

Serenity

I discovered an odd one when my Miniature Giant order came in. Every single bottle of RMS paint had a price sticker on it, and several of them had a larger M-G.com foil sticker, too. All the stickers are well-stuck and hard to remove. So hard, in fact, I tore the underlying Reaper labels on the ones I worked on. I ultimately decided to stop and leave the price stickers, which don't block the labels too much, but the foil ones are all gone. None of the triad or mini blister packs had the foil stickers, just some of the singles.

Just so this isn't a complete rant, M-G is a great place to buy Reaper minis and paint, and even went out of their way to help me get my last order of paint here without it freezing enroute. I ordered in advance to hold the items I wanted, then paid for the order when the weather improved a few days later, and they shipped then. I'd buy from them without any reservations (barring the stickers :;): ).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are products like goo-gone which are specially made for just that purpose. I have had a lot of luck using it to remove price stickers from books and other items. It will take off stickers and goo and not harm the slick cardboard underneath.

It will even remove those foil labels cleanly.

Odd I thought MG was suppose to stop putting those stickers on the bottle (recall from a earlier thread in regards to this same topic. I guess it's been so long since I've order a single MSP from them I hadn't notice (usually go the triad route).

There are products like goo-gone which are specially made for just that purpose. I have had a lot of luck using it to remove price stickers from books and other items. It will take off stickers and goo and not harm the slick cardboard underneath.

It will even remove those foil labels cleanly.

It's worth a test, but Goo-Gone is some pretty nasty stuff. It might dissolve the top sticker and the bottom one as well.

I have had this problem before and wrote to them. They stated if you write in the notes of your order you would like them with no stickers, that they will try to give you products without. I appreciated that , and have done it a few times when ordering. MG is awesome :)

Try giving a hair dryer a try too. The adhesive might just melt when its heated up a bit.

My miniatures pet peeve is when people steal them while you're at a convention or someplace. OK, maybe that's a little past a pet peeve.

How about when people walk up and just pick up one of your minis to look at them? You know, the guys who don't ask your permission first, or who do so despite the fact that you're in the middle of a game and then they put the mini back in a different spot.

Try giving a hair dryer a try too. The adhesive might just melt when its heated up a bit.

My miniatures pet peeve is when people steal them while you're at a convention or someplace. OK, maybe that's a little past a pet peeve.

How about when people walk up and just pick up one of your minis to look at them? You know, the guys who don't ask your permission first, or who do so despite the fact that you're in the middle of a game and then they put the mini back in a different spot.

Criminey, I am NEVER going to a convention.

My biggest pet peeve is, pets.  One of my cats tries to bury my paint water.  Another cannot stand NOT being right in front of me when I'm working.  Worst is the stray hair that messes up a coat of paint.

It drives me bonkers when companies want you to buy their minis but don't put up pictures of them on their sites???

I hate that. No I won't buy "rifleman #31" without knowing what he looks like... unless they're really cheap.... or come recommended.

It drives me bonkers when companies want you to buy their minis but don't put up pictures of them on their sites???

Right there with you on that one. I have even emailed a company to ask why and they said they didn't have time to take pictures. It was right after the release of the Field of Glory rules release and they were one of the better sources for 15mm ancients and they could have easily doubled or tripled their sales with pictures on the website.

1. When people judge whether you are competent based on what and how many comps/prizes you've won instead of the quality of the paint job on the minis they are looking at.

2. NMM: 80% of it does not look like metal (IMO).

3. Fads, such as: NMM, SENMM, Purple and Teal, Tall Block Bases, etc... (i.e., whatever cool thing that someone does that everyone starts copying until you are sick of seeing it).

Mis-packaged product. I know most of the stuff in this hobby is packaged by a real human being. Please take the 2 seconds to verify that there is a left arm and right arm. Not 2 lefts. any other industry probably wouldn't stand for the number of mis-packaged items.

And mis-casting, too. Same guy packaging (or pulling from the mold) should be able to see if a hand is missing, or something.

Extra parts are OK, though. But if I need a piece for this weekend, I hope what I buy is packaged correctly.

1. When people judge whether you are competent based on what and how many comps/prizes you've won instead of the quality of the paint job on the minis they are looking at.

2. NMM: 80% of it does not look like metal (IMO).

3. Fads, such as: NMM, SENMM, Purple and Teal, Tall Block Bases, etc... (i.e., whatever cool thing that someone does that everyone starts copying until you are sick of seeing it).

But purple and teal are legitimately my favorite colors :down:

Agreed with being annoyed at people who are poor at judging, and fad-followers for the sake of following a fad, however.

My pet peeve: unless you have a perfect display case, always risking some paint damage in storage. I have a nice foam box and the edges of figures get paint worn down by the foam. Least my old enamel ones did. Someday I'll get to touch them up <_<

My pet peeve: unless you have a perfect display case, always risking some paint damage in storage. I have a nice foam box and the edges of figures get paint worn down by the foam. Least my old enamel ones did. Someday I'll get to touch them up <_<

Some wear will always happen with minis that you handle, but varnish will minimize the issue.