Miniature-related pet peeves

Serenity

My pet peeve: unless you have a perfect display case, always risking some paint damage in storage. I have a nice foam box and the edges of figures get paint worn down by the foam. Least my old enamel ones did. Someday I'll get to touch them up <_<

Foam is abrasive. It's almost like fine sandpaper. For long term storage I wrap my figures in tissue before they go into the foam box. I put a square of tissue under the figure and then nest it into the cut-out. 15+ years and no issues so far.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. When people judge whether you are competent based on what and how many comps/prizes you've won instead of the quality of the paint job on the minis they are looking at.

2. NMM: 80% of it does not look like metal (IMO).

3. Fads, such as: NMM, SENMM, Purple and Teal, Tall Block Bases, etc... (i.e., whatever cool thing that someone does that everyone starts copying until you are sick of seeing it).

But purple and teal are legitimately my favorite colors :down:

Agreed with being annoyed at people who are poor at judging, and fad-followers for the sake of following a fad, however.

Oh, I have no problem with purple and teal. In fact I just finished a purple and teal model. It looks great and certainly has its place; however, a few years ago it seems that EVERY other mini was purple and teal, whether it made sense or not.

Andy

...something close to this:

fad [fæd]

n. Informal, - 1. whatever cool thing that someone does that everyone starts copying until [the populace is] sick of seeing it; a craze

<_< Ok, truth in advertising, the above is more of a paraphrase.

Original thought is very hard to find; fads result.

If I have a pet peeve it involves the way minis are based in two regards:

1) The mini comes packaged with a base that is a small size BUT it fits much better on a larger size base AND it even overhangs the edges of the small base.

2) Rules written by a minis company dictate a specific, exclusive base size for a given mini; a differing base size is considered illegal/incorrect/forbidden under the rules.

Aye, foam is like that. It hasn't been much of an issue for my painting 2.0 setup with acrylics since they now live on my books-tv-stuff shelf. Only the ones that see use go into a loose foam box to go to the D&D sessions, and I've started using sealant on those. When I got my figures back from CA that I had previously painted, my enamel collection, most of them had a lot of wear and tear unnecessarily from both the foam and crummy packaging (my dad's girlfriend seemed to have just thrown several of my figures in the box, grr)

gah, I need Thanksgiving break so I can get painting!!

It drives me bonkers when companies want you to buy their minis but don't put up pictures of them on their sites???

Right there with you on that one. I have even emailed a company to ask why and they said they didn't have time to take pictures. It was right after the release of the Field of Glory rules release and they were one of the better sources for 15mm ancients and they could have easily doubled or tripled their sales with pictures on the website.

I'll third that one. It seems to be especially true of the smaller manufacturers, and the smaller scales. I've been looking for 6mm sci-fi and 10mm fantasy a lot lately, and there is a lot of stuff out there with no photographs. Fortunately, the 6mm and 10mm communities have people who are making up for the lazy manufacturers by posting their own photos, but still.

Almost as bad are the companies who do have photos, but they're the stupid 128 x128 pixel thumbnails, where you get nothign more than a rough idea of what the mini is supposed to be.

Considering that there is only one surfer that I've seen, and only a few scuba ones, I don't think it is a big deal having it. If it was an entire trend then I'd be confused...

I like a lot of the more modern figures since I see them as having great gift potential. I have all sorts of weird friends, who knows, maybe one of them is a beach bum :poke:

My pet peeve : surfer related miniatures. I mean, really? Someone sat down and said to themselves, "The surfer/miniature demographic of the miniature market is severely under-represented. I think I'll fix that."

Nah, it wasn't because they thought the surfer demographic was underrepresented. It's really the beginning of a tribute to Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Up next, Mr Hand.