Back after 3 long years...

No Remorse

Some of you on this board may remember me, but most likely not lol.

To save you all a long and boring story I had to stop mini painting about 3 years due to severe pains in my neck and shoulder, which was later diagnosed as Repetitive Stress Injury. Along with starting a new family and the previously mentioned issue I wasn't able to get the focus I needed to get back to painting. Lately I have been able to start to manage the pain from RSI and find some quiet time to slowly begin to paint again.

Anyway...

Here is the piece I am working on as a bit of comeback. I have no idea the name of the mini, but it is produced by Reaper. I chose it due to some nice strong features and lack of fiddly details. I am applying the methods described in JBT's DVD and breaking away from my old bad painting habits.

He has been painted with the use of only 4 colours. VMC Deep Sea Blue, VMC Violet, VMC White and VGC Scrophulous Brown. I could go into detail on how this was achieved, but basically it boils down to mixing everything on the fly on my wet palette to achieve the results I wanted, as shown is JBT's DVD.

After that blurb here is what I have done so far. There is still plenty of touch ups to do, and a good amount of work left but I am happy with the results.

Fell free to offer any encouraging critiques, at the stage I am open to all opinions and ideas as to how to improve my technique.

Saladinfrontb.jpg

• Like 10

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya, welcome back to painting. Took a couple year hiatus myself and recently came back with the same intention to break myself of old habits and learn some new approaches. Nothing like a long break to make room for new ideas.

The mini is Sir Malcom Crusaders Sergeant WL #14069.

Critique: To me the skintone is looking on the yellow side. Using a complement of your Violet/blue combo in glazes or mixed with your flesh mix will help counter that in particular (using Jeremie's style of ultra thin paint watercolor glazing/washing/blending techniques shown in his dvd, just mix a bit of the complement to the tone and glaze over with that to tone down the skin.)

My camera always makes everything look too yellow so also, this may just be from that, just going by the appearance of the photo.

The skin tone is a bit samey same with the other yellow/brown on the lower part of the mini, but with some purple glazing and a bit of red glaze you could break that up and still keep an orientall feel...I think pushing the highlights on the face higher than the (skirt?) might make it stand out a bit and distinguish it also...but you paint waaaay better than me, so take my advice with a grain of salt lol.

Heya, welcome back to painting. Took a couple year hiatus myself and recently came back with the same intention to break myself of old habits and learn some new approaches. Nothing like a long break to make room for new ideas.

I take several one or more years hiatus ;). That being said every time I come back I paint better, as strange as that sounds. This is the first time I'm attempting new stuff though. Seeing peoples WIP actually helps me figure out how to best do this stuff.

Resurrecting because I think this is a beautiful example of what one can do with a judiciously chosen limited palette.  The color effects, such as the green cloak, are well worth noting.

• Like 1