Sign in to follow this  
Vaitalla

ReaperCon Classes!

Hi all!

Normally I start a big topic about what classes people would like to see at ReaperCon in the coming year. However, this time we're doing it a little differently. We asked this question in the survey that people filled out AT ReaperCon instead, and have incorporated your answers into the class schedule. ::): This way, if there was anything that we missed or did not have available, people could respond while it was fresh in their minds. This also makes sure that we are being attentive to the suggestions of those who actually attend the Con. ::):

That said, I have the painting class schedule roughed out, but there are a couple of slots yet unassigned. So if you think you'll be coming to the Con in 2011, fire off any suggestions you might have and I'll see if we've got you covered. :;):

SAVE THE DATE: ReaperCon 2011, May 19th through the 22nd, 2011! Be there! (and paint something for the painting competition, dangit!) :;):

--Anne ::D:

Anne

Will the mousling sculpting class be offered again? I wish I would have taken that this year, but hoping it will be offered in '11.

Haldir: yes we are planning to offer the Mouselings class again, I'm just waiting to hear from Gene. ::):

Ali: Yep yep, I'll be emailing all of you with your complete schedules once I've got 'em finalized. ::):

Note to all: we have some awesome classes coming up this year...a couple of which we've never offered before! Especially, we have sculpting classes that are pure demos--you want to watch Julie or Bobby work their magic, get a close-up look at their latest projects, and just ask whatever comes into your heads? Keep your eyes peeled!

I know that Saturday is THE big day of the Con, but could you schedule some of the 'special' classes so that they do not conflict with the Warlord Tourney? Believe it or not, miniatures players can and do like to paint and they might like to take one of the 'special' classes usually scheduled on Saturday without having to give up playing in the tourney.

Also, in 2010, the finals for the Speed Paint was scheduled during the tourney. For the speed paint heat that I was in the top 3 slots were folks that ALL were in the tourney and therefore could not participate in the Speed Paint final. Not normally a big deal, but there were cash/moneytary prizes involved and some might think it unfair again to HAVE to choose.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

Brian

Anne, are you taking suggestions for sculpting classes too? In addition to hitting up Gene Van Horne for every second of class time that he is willing to give, I'd love to see a class on sculpting hands.

Yes, suggestions for sculpting classes are welcome, and we will have one or two classes on sculpting hands for conversions--that was suggested on our survey from last year, as well. ::): So there you go!

Re: Speed Painting, if we do another one of those this year I will keep in mind to have the final in the evening hours, after the Tourney is over. Thanks!

Re: scheduling classes simultaneously with the Tourney...every year I fight with this. Last year I got told to put the "Army Painting" and such classes apart from the Tourney, and I did, but that meant other classes had to fill the spaces while the tourney was going on. No matter what I do, there will be classes that Tourney players want to take which will be on Saturday. It's the biggest day for the Con; there's nothing we can do about that. I can't sit every Tourney player down and make sure that the classes they want to take are not during the Tourney--that's just not going to happen. When a painter is willing to teach a subject twice, I try to put one of those during the tourney, so at least there is another opportunity for a player to catch it on a different day; but there aren't usually enough duplicate classes to account for that block of time. ::(:

Bottom line, I do my best, and if there is a class you really wanted to take that is during the Tournament then I very much apologize. Realize, however, that I get an equal number of comments along the lines of "Can't you schedule your Color Theory class in the afternoon instead of the morning? I'm not awake until noon!" or "Why did you put that class on Thursday, I don't come in 'till Friday." :;): Remember, you can always go upstairs and ask for a demo directly from the instructor...they really don't mind! We will have more one-on-one slots available with different instructors this year, too! I hope that will help.

--Anne

Are there going to be one-on-one classes again this year?

:mellow: ...according to Ann: Yes.

(See her last two sentences ~about five posts up, this thread...)

SAVE THE DATE: ReaperCon 2011, May 19th through the 22nd, 2011! Be there! (and paint something for the painting competition, dangit!) :;):

Ah! No!!!!! I was expecting it to be earlier in May . . . I'm getting married that weekend.