Wet Palette

Shepherd74

I have recently made a Homemade Wet Palette, I used what here in the UK is called Baking Paper.

I have found that it seems to fall apart after even gentle mixing and sometimes the paint and water just seem to go through the paper before I get to mix it!

Is the palette too wet, (there is no water running around inside the container)

Would another type of paper be better? (Grease proof or something)

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what they call it in the UK, but the link below is what I use for my wet palette paper. It keeps the paint on top, and it remains in good condition even when I reuse it several times. Maybe other brands don't work as well?

Reynold's Parchment Paper

The other common kitchen paper here is waxed paper which I'm told won't work properly. I've never tried wax paper. The paper that comes with a wet palette I found didn't work very well. It was too porous and let the paint and water pass right through if the paint was thinned very much.

I use more water in my paint now than I used with a dry pallette, but I changed my painting style about the same time as I changed pallettes, so that's not dispositive.

With a wet pallette, I put water in until the sponge is floating, then pour it out until I can bring it to my paint table without getting my feet wet. With that amount of water, the Reynolds Baking Parchment does not break down, even if it is left in the pallette for days.

I suspect you need different paper.

From what I've read the paper that comes with the wet palette doesn't work as expected when using the thinner acrylic paints. It's meant for the thicker ones.

Baking parchment seems to be the paper of choice. You can get that at most grocery stores. Don't get freezer paper for this - it has a plastic coating on one side and just won't work.

Agreed - I use Wilton Baking Parchment Paper and it does not break down in water. I float the sponge, pour off enough so it settles back down, lay on the paper and that's it. I try to keep the underside of the parchment paper to in contact with water at all times to prevent air bubbles or curling at the edges or corners. Mop up any puddles on top of the paper with a clean paper towel or sponge, just to keep control over paint consistency. With the right kind of paper, you can put water, paint and additives (if you use them) in any proportion and they will not bleed through.

Waxed paper will not work.

I use non waxed baking parchment for my wet palette and no matter how damp I get the paper and how much paint I put on it, I have never had a problem with it. I just lay it on top of my sponge wet it down to taste and mix my paints. I wish I could help you further, but I have never had this issue. I think the paper I use is the generic un-waxed Safeway brand.

My first recommendation is ditch the sponge and use white paper towels. The sponge will get nasty and start to break up and paper towels will be cheaper. I fold up 4 or 5 towels and it holds enough water to last for quite awhile. I also use the baking or parchment paper and one sheet lasts me a good while so i't probably the paper you have chosen to use. The paper supplied with wet pallettes are designed to work with the heavier bodied artist's acrylics.

Sorry, I wrote sponge out of habit. Actually, I could never find white sponges, only yellow, blue, green, orange and pink. They threw off paint colors, so I switched to batting (pillow / quilt stuffing). It doesn't break down, washes up fine from paint spills with dishwashing liquid and it's cheap.

What exactly is falling apart? Is the paper falling apart? Is the sponge falling apart?

If the paper is falling apart, I think that you're not using the right kind of paper. The kind that I use (Reynolds here in the States), is the silicon impregnated paper. If you are using wax paper, that type will fall apart.

If all else fails, you can get the commercial wet palette paper and cut the pieces down to fit your palette.

Ron

I've only dabbled a little with the wet palette, but I found the brand of parchment paper can make a bigger difference than one might expect - the 'No-Name'-brand stuff from a Loblaws grocery store that I tried most recently didn't seem to want to let the water come up through it as much as it had with another brand I'd tried a couple years ago. My paints kept drying out just as fast as they would in my ceramic welled palettes (and yes I'm 100% sure it's baking parchment paper and not waxed paper or anything)! Can't remember the brand name of the stuff that worked better, sorry. I'll have to keep an eye out for the kind Reynolds makes...

But yeah, I suspect if you try a different brand of baking parchment, you might have better (or at least different) results.

Kang