Display cases

Madog Barfog

Hi, all. It's been a while. I got a new house but not much painting done. Website is back up after some move-induced issues.

There was a discussion a while ago on the IWM forums about display cases. Here are mine.

Sample pic attached, link below.

http://www.hacklopedia.com/miniatures/images/cases.shtml

post-3073-12906425680658_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, those were the days. I got one of those years ago, wish I could find more. I ended up filling it several times over and then just gave up trying to display things.

We have two like this still on the wall: http://www.fast-autos.net/diecast-cars-models/Antique-Wooden-Printers-Type-Tray-Drawer-Shadow-Box_160482105549.html

Hobby Lobby was selling them, and by the quantity of identical trays around I doubt they are really antiques.

That's neat, but imo too old-fashioned antique (I guess that's the idea... but it looks like a spice-rack to me.)

With my Custom Framing Shop job I have strange insight into such things; I offer it incase someone has a need for one of these and the drive to make it. It's possible to put 'shelves' with spaces like that together using foamcore with a multi-opening mat in front. Stick the whole thing in a shadowbox with glass and a back that opens, and you'd be able to switch the minis whenever you liked (or base each individual window for micro-dioramas.) Though the whole thing might cost $50-$150 depending on your choice of materials, so idk if anyone'd be willing. :P

Hey, cool display cases! I haven't had much luck finding anything like those to store and display my minis in. I'll have to look into those drawer-things, just not sure where to look (there's no Hobby Lobby here in Canada to my knowledge)... flea markets, maybe?

I was wondering if you know the manufacturer and possibly product # of the tree-man-thing who's 2nd from the top and 2nd from the right in the image you posted here (ie. your 1st shadow box). I have him painted up too (see it via link in sig), got him in the late '80's I think and 90% sure he is a GW(Citadel?) mini, but I've never seen another copy of that guy and I've been trying to ID him for years.

Hey, waitaminute... 2 minis down from that one. Isn't that the dwarf from your gold metallics tutorial? I'd given up on ever seeing him with more paint on. ::D:

Kang

Hobby Lobby was selling them, and by the quantity of identical trays around I doubt they are really antiques.

Antique means old. Old may or may not mean rare. There were a LOT of print shops around, and each of them had several drawers like this.

LOOKIN' GOOD! My first display case was an old type setter's tray; I got it from my Uncle, who was an Old Type Setter :blink: appropriate, huh?! Now that you've got our attention, you're going to have to do close ups of ALL the Lads/Lasses/Thingies.

Thank you. The worthy ones are already in my gallery (hint: the page has links on it).

I'll have to look into those drawer-things, just not sure where to look (there's no Hobby Lobby here in Canada to my knowledge)... flea markets, maybe?

Ebay. I don't like it for selling things, but if you are OK paying with Paypal, that's where you can find these.

I was wondering if you know the manufacturer and possibly product # of the tree-man-thing who's 2nd from the top and 2nd from the right in the image you posted here (ie. your 1st shadow box). I have him painted up too (see it via link in sig), got him in the late '80's I think and 90% sure he is a GW(Citadel?) mini, but I've never seen another copy of that guy and I've been trying to ID him for years.

Me too. I finally tracked it down with help. Here you go:

http://www.reapermin...mports-treeman/

Hey, waitaminute... 2 minis down from that one. Isn't that the dwarf from your gold metallics tutorial? I'd given up on ever seeing him with more paint on. ::D:

Yes. Are you implying that I should now finish the tutorial? That just seems odd :)

Hi, all. It's been a while. I got a new house but not much painting done. Website is back up after some move-induced issues.

There was a discussion a while ago on the IWM forums about display cases. Here are mine.

Sample pic attached, link below.

http://www.hacklopedia.com/miniatures/images/cases.shtml

What mini is that four rows down, 2nd compartment, to the right of the Umber Hulk? I painted that one once, and I lost the mini and would like to again, but I can't find him on Reaper to save my life.

What mini is that four rows down, 2nd compartment, to the right of the Umber Hulk? I painted that one once, and I lost the mini and would like to again, but I can't find him on Reaper to save my life.

Could it be this guy?

http://www.reapermini.com/pages/figure_finder_image.php?sku=IG_769_3.jpgℑ=2

No, this is a lizard man, holding a flail, Japanese style armor plates

Neat idea! My wife and I use one of those old type cases for displaying gems and nick-nacks...

The only note of caution is that wood's a good source of acetic acid (one of the root causes of lead rot.) If you've got 1970's-1980's lead minis you have to be careful putting them in wood display cases. Acetic acid builds up in the cases and in the presence of moisture can start a chemical reaction with the metal which can literally convert the details to powdery "dust".

Leaving the cases open-fronted (which most of yours appear) or opening the door to air them periodically is usually enough to prevent it building up. However, the jury's out about leaving them touching wood for long periods of time. As long as the minis are primed or otherwise sealed and the cases have enough air circulation, you're probably okay.

Take care,

Laszlo

• Like 1

Could it be this guy?

http://www.reapermin...9_3.jpgℑ=2

No, this is a lizard man, holding a flail, Japanese style armor plates

I think it's 2570, Karoak.

The only note of caution is that wood's a good source of acetic acid (one of the root causes of lead rot.) If you've got 1970's-1980's lead minis you have to be careful putting them in wood display cases. Acetic acid builds up in the cases and in the presence of moisture can start a chemical reaction with the metal which can literally convert the details to powdery "dust".

Thanks, Laszlo. The case pictured is my first - it's been with me since the early 80s and has spent some of those years in a damp basement, all the while being in contact with unpainted minis, or at least their bases. I have no rot, I'd say having the cases open may help. The printer boxes I've had for less time (still a few years).

Yes it is, thank you greatly.

Yes, Karoak, one of my best.

My Karoak gallery if you like.

See, most of these guys are up already. :)

Hey, waitaminute... Isn't that the dwarf from your gold metallics tutorial? I'd given up on ever seeing him with more paint on. ::D:

...Are you implying that I should now finish the tutorial? That just seems odd :)

No, you're right, that would be odd. Though you could add a pic of the completed mini at the end... if you wanted to... This hobby does lend itself to a certain amount of obsessiveness where attention to detail is concerned, after all - so there could be a couple people still checking every so often even a few years later to see if you've updated it yet. Not me, of course... I'm not obsessed with minis at all, no sir, not even a little. ::D:

Mostly just wanted to let you know someone out here is paying attention, is all. Thanks again for the ID on tree-dude, BTW!

PS. I wonder if giving the wooden display cases themselves a good thick coat of some sort of sealer might help protect against the lead rot Laszlo mentioned?

Kang