Painting blanks

Enchantra

OK, a little while back the following thread was posted:

http://www.reapermini.com/cgi-bin....;t=3939

Now for those of you who do not feel you are talented enough to create blanks yourself for practice I have a proposition for you.  I can make these out of sculpey for you, and then ship them to you for a fee.  I was thinking about 4 or 5 of them in a shipment, each with different textures on them.  If you are interested in this kind of thing, PM me.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm. I don't think that's such a good idea. You see, a Reaper mini costs about what?, 2.50-3.50 USD?.

Now, taking into account the cost of the sculpey and the shipping charges, I think it'd be money better spent on getting a mini with the suitable texture I want to practice. And, the mini I can walk to a store and get right away, while I certainly loathe to wait for the mail to deliver  stuff to me.

Hate to be a spoilsport.... :down:

Actually Errex, while I myself would usually practice on a mini, there are some who post here who hate haveing to strip minis continuously.  With the blanks they don't have to do that, and instead can do numerous layers of paint before stripping becomes any kind of an issue for them.  I'm more than willing to do it for those that want them.  I don't mind sharing my talent with others.

I can see where you consider cost an issue, but considering that a package of say 5 of these blanks plus postage may only be $20, I do not consider that to much for those who want to go this particular route.  It comes out about even in the end, considering the quoted price includes all shipping charges within the USA.

I've worked with sculpey enough to be able to judge how to make the blank and also know where to get the sculpey at a decent price.  I could probably make 20+ blocks from one box of super sculpey.

Granted for me to do this though and have this be economical for me to do also I need roughly 2 orders.

EDIT:  If you are outside the US, shipping might cost more but is workable.

Er, I agree with Ruben here... I mean you can go and find REAL cheap minis in the bargain bin if you just want to practice... And in the end, no matter how bad they may look, you can at least have some colored baddies on the table! Shippign is just too much, unless you have an affluent and frivolous spending budget like I don't...

Er, I agree with Ruben here... I mean you can go and find REAL cheap minis in the bargain bin if you just want to practice... And in the end, no matter how bad they may look, you can at least have some colored baddies on the table! Shippign is just too much, unless you have an affluent and frivolous spending budget like I don't...

Not everyone has a bargain bin at their local FLGS.  I know none of mine do, and even those with clearance areas have stuff that is still in the multiple dollar range, around $3-$4.

If I had access to a bargain bin, yeah that would be the better way to go by far.  Not everyone has that luxury though.

Just an update:  If I go along witha  suggestion that Ghost Rider gave to me these balnks may end up being pewter.  Not to mention, something which I need to clarify here is that these blanks will have all sorts of sculpted detail on them to rpactice with.

Lone (so far) dissenter.

I'd definately be interested.  I can't afford lots of figs, and I prefer not to strip them... I'd like something to practice on.

Drop me with a PM so I have some kind of record of who wants what.   I want to know that way if I decide to go either route and I know who I need to contact.  Thanks for the interest.   :D

Enchantra, I think it's a fine idea. Unfortunately, we're seeing that it just may not be economical, either for you or the buyer. For you, you need to either a) sell enough at a low price to make back your money and time -or- b) sell at a (comparatively) moderate to high price to cover the same but with fewer sales. For the buyer, the price would need be low enough to make other cheaper, more readily available items (toy soldiers) less appealing.

Now the appeal of owning a fig hand-sculpted by you aside  :) , it seems as though this venture is going to be a losing proposition for one or both parties.

That said, I think it would behoove you to provide some pics of examples to give folks a better idea. Who knows? The aesthetics of the sculpt alone may be worth someone shelling out for.

Just my thoughts. Hope it works out for you.   :)

(Please forgive the rain on your parade...  :(  )

Enchantra, I think it's a fine idea. Unfortunately, we're seeing that it just may not be economical, either for you or the buyer. For you, you need to either a) sell enough at a low price to make back your money and time -or- b) sell at a (comparatively) moderate to high price to cover the same but with fewer sales. For the buyer, the price would need be low enough to make other cheaper, more readily available items (toy soldiers) less appealing.

Now the appeal of owning a fig hand-sculpted by you aside  :) , it seems as though this venture is going to be a losing proposition for one or both parties.

That said, I think it would behoove you to provide some pics of examples to give folks a better idea. Who knows? The aesthetics of the sculpt alone may be worth someone shelling out for.

Just my thoughts. Hope it works out for you.   :)

(Please forgive the rain on your parade...  :(  )

OK since most of you were not privy to the conversation I had with Ghost Rider through PM, this is what I can tell you.  The cost may be next to nothing at this point, especially if he casts them into pewter for me.  If you want to ask him about the whole casting thing and approximate costs he can give you some better details than I could seeing as I don't cast stuff.

Esentially what would happen at this point if I go through with things is I would make the sculpts then send them to Ghost Rider and he would do the casting.  

So far I do not have the ability to post pics of anything.  That takes a camera, and you need money for a camera or scanner, something which I have a limited supply of, therefore I don't have pics to post otherwise I would have posted my stuff in show off eons ago.

Now if I did the sculpts and sent them off to Ghost Rider he might be able to post pics of them possibly, but I don't know.  I have no idea what variety of technical gadgets the man has at his disposal.   :D

What I was considering though was that the blanks would be two inches by two inches and roughly 1/4 inch thick, maybe less in thickness for one.  This is what I was going to sculpt onto the blanks:

Cloth

Rope

chain

Gemstones in mountings

Textured surfaces resembling:

-Celtic knotwork

-basketweave

-hair

-a face or two

-Ridges (Akin to what you find in armor)

-Chainmail

-Crystals and rocks

-angular surfaces

-assorted incised or raised designwork such as          fretwork, swirls, and a host of other patterns.

-bricks/stonework

OK, so that should at least give you an idea of what is going to be on these things.   :D