All my Bidders have Zero Feedback?

Nanite

I just put a whole Pantload of stuff on ebay, checking it, I see that most items have a bid!  But every single one is a bidder with zero feedback.

This is making me nervous.  One or two? No worries, ALL of them?  Seems fishy.

I've never worried about zero-feedback buyers before (everyone has to start somewhere), and as long as they pay, no problem.  these though, should I be concerned?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That does seem unusual. Are the bidders all different? Or the same guy?

I strongly recommend that you document all packages that you ship, according to Paypal policies, in the very likely scenario that you are going to get hit with claims that it never arrived. Remember that they have something like 3 MONTHS to make that claim, so keep your paperwork.

Or you can eat the ebay fees and de-list everything, and then re-list it with a strict "No zero-feedback bidders" policy.

Can you remove bidders any more? You used to be able to boot them from the auction if you suspected foul play. You could be rude and remove them, and add the zero-feedback clause to the existing auctions, if they still let you alter the listing while it is live.

I use ebay to buy stuff, but I choke on the idea of being forced to accept Paypal essentially exclusively- it chafes me too much.

Technically, you *can* accept other payments (probably to avoid a lawsuit), but you have to be coy about it - you can't actually come right out and say it, you have to wait until someone asks.

I don't play silly games like that when it comes to money, no matter how small the amount.

I don't know. After a year of selling minis on ebay, I haven't ran into any problems. The Paypal thing doesn't bother me so much, largely because I got their debit card that's tied to the paypal account. As for 0-feedback bidders, definitely ship with tracking confirmation, and keep those numbers safe. If they say that they did not receive an item, you can fight back if you can prove that it was delivered. Once the post office leaves the package at their door, then it's on them, not you.

Actually, no it's not. It's the sellers responsibility to ensure the item reaches the buyer, always. If it doesn't get there, the seller has to refund the buyer then use their proof of mailing to get their money back from ebay and paypal. Packages lost in the mail are not the buyers fault, nor the sellers really, but that's why you need to insure the packages you send. In some cases the buyer may have to make the claim at their own post office in co-operation with the senders recipts but only when the package is insured, and I'm not sure if that includes sending out of the country, each country may have it's own procedures.

I only ever lost 1 package at christmas time a small package, lost to who knows where. Filed a claim and got my money back.

I was packing an item to ship out, and realized I had glued part of it because the pieces kept falling off.  Completely forgot that.

I sent an email to the buyer, but I don't know if he reads english.  

Worse, it's a transformer, and that kinda borks the whole 'transformer' aspect.  

Worse worse: It's superglue, and it's old.  I can't remove it.

Worse worse worse: Discolored the plastic with acetone trying to unglue the pieces.

Worse worse worse worse: It was my most profitable item.

No reply from the buyer (in japan).  Any suggestions?  If I don't hear back I guess I'll just send a full refund and try to cancel the item.

Also I let an Italian buyer slip through.  I have nothing against Italians, but I fear their postal system.

And two non-paying buyers so far.

What a mess.

I had between 2% and 5% failure rate of U.S. sales, 10% for Canada & Great Britain, 100% of (3) to Australia, and 50% of all other international combined, including France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan. By failure rate I mean either non-paying bidder, claim of non-receipt, returned undelivered or similar dispute. I don't know if the problems came from a language barrier, postal service issues or cultural differences, but for whatever reason, international sales became far more costly in terms of time, money and hassle factor than I cared to deal with.

I know, Nanite, a sympathetic "I feel your pain" doesn't help you right now. You are probably on the right track to refund and cancel the Japan sale for 'damaged item', but you might check with eBay seller services, first. As for Italy, was it a setting missed in creating the listing? If so, again, you may be able to cancel bids and re-list the auction.

Great googly moogly, this has been the worst set of items I've ever listed.  All my fault really.  

The Italian buyer just sent me a note telling me the package never arrived.  Why was I so arrogant to think Italy's postal system wouldn't lose my package?!?

So I'm out $30 bucks, and two more transformers.  Customs number only shows it leaving the US, not getting to Italy.

Great googly moogly, this has been the worst set of items I've ever listed.  All my fault really.  

The Italian buyer just sent me a note telling me the package never arrived.  Why was I so arrogant to think Italy's postal system wouldn't lose my package?!?

So I'm out $30 bucks, and two more transformers.  Customs number only shows it leaving the US, not getting to Italy.

Last time I was on eBay I saw lots of notices "sorry US bidders only" and similar. Now I see why.

What do your boilerplate words currently say?

Did you insure the package going to Italia?

It is possible the Italian got the item, has reported it as lost, and figures 'too bad, so sad' if you didn't insure it -- but you will never really know.

Sorry dude :down:

After 10 years of selling on Ebay I have never had an overseas package go missing (and only two US go missing and one of those was basically theft by the buyer). I have had them take a great deal of time to arrive. Sometimes that was because I would ship surface mail (no longer available) and other times it was because of the location of the buyer. Over the years I have shipped to Canada (that can take forever), Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Brazil (that one made me very nervous), the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Russia (Moscow I think). I know that I have had shipments to Italy take as long as 8 weeks to arrive. Shipping to the UK, Japan and Germany always seem to be quick. How long has it been since you mailed the item and how did you send it? In general I will tell any overseas customer that they can expect it to take up to six weeks and even longer to arrive.

I've bought and sold a lot over the years and the only problems I ever had were with gamers. I've had people outright refuse to pay for auctions they won and I had one guy steal an auction by claiming ( on the last day possible) his card was stolen. Even though I proved to paypal I shipped it and he received it I never saw my money or my stuff.

So while I may continue to list things on ebay, I get rid of my gaming stuff at GenCon or the local con now where I can do it face to face with cash sales.