Queen Illiosa

fieldarchy

When I first saw this mini the hairstyle and the flow of the dress and fan reminded me of Japanese style with a modern flair. So that's exactly how I painted her. This was a commission for a local gamer and he is very happy with her. I would really like to paint this mini again. Derek did a great job sculpting her.

Vote HERE

post-2071-12909797817317.jpg

post-2071-12909797915695.jpg

post-2071-12909798006682.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it on facebook and I will say it again on here...I love it! I think I prefer this version to Derek's painted version overall...I think it is the color choices. Not saying Derek's is bad, it is phenomenal, this one just does it "more" for me. Great job Meg!

Thanks Mark. I didn't want to do her in just a solid colored dress consider there is so much space to put some lovely designs. I've played through part of the Crimson Throne adventure path which is what this Pathfinder Character is from and she is said to be the young queen of an older king and she is very youthful. I figured bright colors and patterns would be more her style.

I am just glad that Brett was happy with her.

Hmmm a how to guide . . . well practice practice practice. Some of my very first freehand was complete doodie! I am also in art school now where I am painting and drawing on a frequent basis which has helped as well.

Most of freehand work really is just about practice and getting brush control down. Then it's being very careful about how you paint it. I had lots of touch ups with this piece since there are so many sections. It didn't come out exactly how I wanted but it was pretty close to what I had in my head.

I will suggest planning out the piece before you put color to it though. I had the figure primed and did the skin/face first. I always do this because it can change the character of the mini completely! Sometimes what you have planned in your head doesn't translate completely, even painting a face . . . Once that was done I started outlining sections of the dress. I got the general division down and started putting paint to it. I blocked in the pink and green first since those are my most difficult colors--especially the green I used. It's very temperamental. From there it was all about laying down paint and not being afraid to go nuts with freehand.

Lovely work! Yes, the Japanese style works perfectly.

I like how you added the bolder geometric freehand on the skirt to accentuate the sway and swirl in her posture, and it gives the whole piece a clear modern/anime style (or at least it doesn't seem literal or traditional to me).

I might have carried the geometric patterning in blue and gold onto the fan a bit.

Some of the highlights on the hair got a little too broad, so they look dark gray rather than shiny black.

Something's a little off with her right eye, but I know that something's off with my sculpting there! I think her eyes are slightly off-plane, so it's hard to make them look in the same direction.

Anyway, if you do paint another, please do show it off.

Derek

Yup Derek, there were some bits I didn't get a chance to do as much detail on or clean up as much just due to time constraints.

The eye was a bit off and I'm not sure if it's a sculpt issue. I did the best I could with getting them in the same direction and it looks ok from certain angles. Dead-on though is not so good.

I did think about carrying the design up to the fan as well but I was afraid it would be too much and I had only a few minutes to knock it out. That's why I'd like to do another version of her and have as much time as I want to work on her. Might paint this mini up for a Reaper Con entry.