A drow and a mage walk onto my paint table...

...and become quite colorful

Alastriel was painted as an "evening elf" from my D&D campaign. They're the drow followers of Eilistraee who have been on the surface for roughly 100 years. She's my first attempt at on-source lighting. Not a bad trial at all, but there is room for improvement. The hair was very sleek and the extra blue took a bit of that away. Was considering putting some freehand trim on the cloak, but decided to stick to one new trick at a time. I did free hand her name in elven on the back of the sword however: Faeryl in game.

Piers was a fairly fast paint job, and honestly, he kinda annoyed me. Very limited space to get colors where they need to be due to those darn coat tails next to the pants, and the staff across the waist blocking access to the ribs-area. Not bad for a fast job but I could likely have done more. I am pleased with the detailing on the stitches though, as I gave them a metallic dark brown thread without botching the cloth around it.

Other notes: The dark elf skin triad is amazing. Pearl White is becoming a favorite. It is smooth to paint with and gives a nice silky texture when mixed. Moon Steel is still a beautiful color but no matter how I thin it, it is still grainy.

post-6592-12910874171793_thumb.jpg

post-6592-12910874352283_thumb.jpg

post-6592-12910874722348_thumb.jpg

post-6592-12910875381079_thumb.jpg

post-6592-12910875746761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A slight bit yes. I generally add a tint of metallics to hair, since it helps get the right shimmer usually. Over-done slightly though on him. I think its Tin Blitz plus Scorched Brown. Pure metallics are way off, but from experimentation I tend to like them mixed.

Drow's hair is pearl white plus boltgun metal, highlighted with a higher white concentration of it if I remember right. No metallic feel to it.

I agree with the face. Hers turned out better than I expected, and went without glitches later! Getting more consistent with the faces generally. Piers' photo didn't turn out as well as I hoped for. His face isn't as clear of a sculpt, and it turned out alright but without the intensity of the drow's. I have a hard time figuring out how much "eyeliner" to use on male figures. I ended up using a darker skin tone for his, but it may have been better if I had taken it a bit darker still.

I use the same amount of liner on most of my minis eyes...unless I am adding makeup for females..I think I linked the technique to you before...it is the same way Marike Reimer paints her eyes and is on her website. I paint the eye in with black paint or brown liner depending on how dark I want it. Then I add two points of white on each side leaving a pupil and the black line around the eye...I have yet to add color yet, but you can add to the eye as needed.

The face on the drow is fantastic...and in general I would go heavier with the eyeliner with the guys if their eyes need a bit more pop...it is fantasy afterall.

I think I've been mixing the technique you linked with one on the reaper craft guides. I paint the whites of the eyes as the first thing on the face, then the irises, then the pupils and eyeliner. I touch up as needed with adding more white if the eyeliner goes thick. My first eyeliner attempt without that method was fortunately on my giant woman, but this makes everything so much easier!

And I agree, I can go heavier with it. Certainly works on your epic beard dwarves. Next male figure - Piers is a nice theme and good looking figure but he simply annoyed me.

Practice is all it takes...each mini you will learn more and more about what does (and does not) work for you. When I first started painting I kept trying to copy a style of painting and I was never happy with my results. Lately I have been painting in my own style and using what works and tossing what doesn't and I am really happy with the results I have been getting. That and I discovered how amazing Reaper Master Series paints are (might not work for everyone, but they really suite my painting style.)

I agree - lots of just practice. It has helped that I have had plenty of art classes, but those don't really prepare anyone for the tiny work. Then again, I'd be given a huge sheet of paper, then draw something really small...

Never been one for copying styles, but if I see a technique I like I'll give it a shot. I was stagnant for a while but been getting better on most all in some way or another lately. The minis I pick for myself I've been specifically getting with a new challenge in mind - this one was my fill-in spot for D&D and I wanted to try OSL.

hmm. Really should switch the chat to facebook at this rate :P