50199: Denver, Zombie Survivor

Hello. I haven't posted anything in the Show Off forum but thought what the heck. I have attached photos of my latest Reaper commission 50199: Denver, Zombie Survivor. He was a blast and to paint and I was happy with how the base cane out. I pulled a quote from the movie (Zombieland)for the freehand on the base. THANKS!!

post-4723-12911312979985_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! How did I miss this?

Dude, this looks really really good. You're turning out piece after beautiful piece these days. You know you should post more of your stuff, and frequently. Of course nothing ever looks as good in pics as they do in hand, but you should really try to share more!

I think it's about time you did a tutorial. Your basing is like... ::o:

I think one of the things that I have really come to admire about your style is the way you have incorporated the depth and subtleties of European painters with the bright bold style of the American painters. The combination is pretty striking.

Gimme some of your Mo-jo!

::D:

Jen

That base is worth a tutorial I think.

Thanks!!! Well, you asked for it. I hope this helps.... Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

The base was pretty simple. I used air hardening clay (from Michael's). I created the base in 2 sections the street and the Sidewalk.

Street: I started with the street. Air hardening clay comes in a rectangular block and I wanted to get a "street" texture on the road surface so i used a putty knife (pretty big) and cut down the middle of the block of clay to the approximate thickness I wanted the street (less than 1/2"). So I had my basic width of the street. The putty knife as it cut through the clay created the texture for the payment (easy). I then just broke of the sections of the outside of the road to make if fit the base. The air hardening clay is great for creating that rubble effect when you are just breaking a piece away. At that point my street was done. I had a sewer grate that I picked up from a model train store a while back and pushed it into the clay (i later glued it in once the clay had dried.) All it had to do was harden.

Side walk: I took some clay and pushed it into an old plastic mini clam shell. I used one from Rackham since one side is flat and very shallow. While the clay was still soft I pulled it out and determined how big I wanted the side walk and just tore off the outside areas to match the street. I then used a straight edge to create the groves between the curb and the sidewalk sections. Once it was dry i just sanded the curb portion to make it rounded chipped some of the sidewalk away with an exacto and glued (with Expoxy) the two pieces together. Oh, and finally added a trash can that I picked up from the same model train store.

Clay hardening: when the clay starts to harden it tends to shrink a little and curve up. I flipped it a few times during the drying process and pretty much avoided major "curving." It does have a little but curving but ti think it added a little to the overall effect.

Hope this was helpful. If you are going to ReaperCon this year I think I am teaching a basing class or 2.

m.

Wow! How did I miss this?

Dude, this looks really really good. You're turning out piece after beautiful piece these days. You know you should post more of your stuff, and frequently. Of course nothing ever looks as good in pics as they do in hand, but you should really try to share more!

I think it's about time you did a tutorial. Your basing is like... ::o:

I think one of the things that I have really come to admire about your style is the way you have incorporated the depth and subtleties of European painters with the bright bold style of the American painters. The combination is pretty striking.

Gimme some of your Mo-jo!

::D:

Jen

Jen, I was typing the tutorial I think when you were posting your comment. Thanks.

Photos also are a good way to hide the flaws.

m

• Artists

Terrific piece! I think it captures the feeling of the movie really well, but stands nicely on its own. I also really enjoy the way you've used a lot of true colours but still evoked a gritty atmosphere. Thanks for the insights into your basing techniques, those are always helpful! I still think you need some more trash around the bin, though. ;->