Some More Minis

Wilwarin

This past November I painted a few minis and never really got around to posting them :upside: Blame it on being 8 months pregnant lol.

Anyway, 2 are monsters that my husband wanted for his low level D&D Campaign. Both are trolls by Ben Siens :)

The most latest (as in I finished it November 30!) is Reaper 02542: Bulgoth, Troll King by Ben Siens. I decided to go with brown colors, using the dark triad I took advice I got recently on highlighting with that triad and used the "tanned shadow" I REALLY like how the highlights pop now. I was trying to go for a red leather for his loin cloth and the bands on his wrists. I used a mixture of red/muddy brown and then did a brown ink wash overtop after I shaded both areas.

For the metals, I used Tin bitz as a base coat and highlighted areas by dry brushing Boltgun Metal. I was trying to give that affect of "it's rusty, but this is what the metal originally looked like" sorta deal.

The base, I made with greenstuff, pebbles, and foliage from Galeforce Nine.

post-4937-12912538270251_thumb.jpg

Next is Reaper 02416: Cave Troll by Ben Siens. I painted this one earlier in the month along with another figure which I'll get to later. This one I went for a handmade swamp affect (first time I tried it) by first painting the base brown and then using PVA glue, layering it with static grass/leaves from my yard/pebbles and then doing a top layer of PVA glue to "seal" it and give it a watery look.

For the troll I used various greens and then did a bluish/green ink wash over him. I'm not overly fond of the detail on him, it seems to have dulled down when I varnished him :(

post-4937-12912543129539_thumb.jpg

Along with the troll I painted an old figure of my husband's. He said it's from a game called "Clan Wars" that he doesn't think exists anymore. All we could figure out was that she was half dragon (she has scales... and claws on half her body).

With this figure, I attempted some more NMM on the crown and shoulders. I like how it came out this time :) I painted armor on her as well as my husband plans on using her for a game.

post-4937-12912544325981.jpg

Finally, I give you another figure I painted for a friend who also plays in our D&D group. He plays a horizon walker who is a "redneck" elf named Moonshine. This is Sandra Garrity's Lindir Lightarrow. I had a mishap with him when he arrived, his bow came off so I had to sculpt a new hand and pin on a new bow from a weapon's pack. It's my first successful "alteration" however my sculpting has a long way to go.

His tunic is supposed to be the "confederate" flag of D&D lol, well, it's a variation of the US Confederate flag. My friend didn't want him wearing pants (his character is drunk much of the time lol) and on his left inner thigh is a tattoo that says "MoM" on it :) The story is that he got it during a drunken episode... from his mom.. lol

Moving on, the base is completely hand sculpted. I made one side a swampy area with a rotted log as the barrier to the dryer land. Beside him is a sculpted keg of Moonshine and has "XXX" on it.

post-4937-12912546527366_thumb.jpg

I apologize for the picture, the one of him face forward always came out blurry :(

So November was rather busy. I'm trying to get minis painted before my daughter is born (EDD January 20!) I'm not sure how much time I'll have to paint while she's home :) Her big brother and everyone else in my family is probably going to spoil her TONS.

• Like 1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job on all of these. I especially like the first troll. The NMM on the elf looks nice, but it would look more realistic if the shadows where darker...I had an article from white dwarf by Darren Latham where he started with vermin brown and moved up to snakebite leather for theshading. I wish I had the link to the article still, but I cant find it. Also, congrats on the little one, I hope you have an easy labor when that time comes for you.

The Clan War figure is the Demon Bride of Fu Leng, part of the evil Shadowlands army.

Clan Wars was (and it appears is again) the miniatures game for the world of The Legend of the Five Rings, which also has a pretty good CCG and a decent RPG. And some of the miniatures were pretty spectacular.

That's neat!! I'll definitely have to check out more of their miniatures then because I enjoyed painting this one and I like how she looks. Definitely unique!

@ Merc: Thanks!! :) I agree about the NMM, though the pictures make it look brighter than it is (no idea what's been up with my camera lately...) so the shading is a little more noticeable, though it can still use more work! If you could find that article that would be great, I'll try to peruse and see if I can find what you're talking about as well :) It sounds really interesting and I could definitely use more pointers with my NMM

Good luck with the new baby :)

Yes, make sure you file off all the flash and mold lines, put on nice thin coats of primer, an make the transitions much smoother due to the larger scale of this kind of fig. A purple/teal color scheme can't miss.

Hehe, yes, very true! I'll make sure to post pics once she's done... gotta make a bigger lightbox though :wacko:

Good to see the results on the darker troll after your request for advice. Interesting how different the two trolls (similar models to begin with) look because of your choice of colors!

Also glad to see your repair/conversion work on the elf -- once you get over any initial hesitation of working with putty, you'll probably find that it gets a lot easier and more fun. (At least that's what I found for my own mindset.)

Even if you've already experimented with the backgrounds of your photos, I suggest trying something darker and maybe a different color. With a background this bright, miniatures tend to look dull or under-highlighted (because even the highlights are darker than the background), and this grey also seems to have a slight purple tinge that makes the figures look yellow-green by comparison. I use a warm mid-grey or mid-blue (artist papers) as my background, and I think they give good results.

Enjoy whatever other painting you do before the baby arrives, and then enjoy the new things that arise after that!

Derek

Good to see the results on the darker troll after your request for advice. Interesting how different the two trolls (similar models to begin with) look because of your choice of colors!

Also glad to see your repair/conversion work on the elf -- once you get over any initial hesitation of working with putty, you'll probably find that it gets a lot easier and more fun. (At least that's what I found for my own mindset.)

Even if you've already experimented with the backgrounds of your photos, I suggest trying something darker and maybe a different color. With a background this bright, miniatures tend to look dull or under-highlighted (because even the highlights are darker than the background), and this grey also seems to have a slight purple tinge that makes the figures look yellow-green by comparison. I use a warm mid-grey or mid-blue (artist papers) as my background, and I think they give good results.

Enjoy whatever other painting you do before the baby arrives, and then enjoy the new things that arise after that!

Derek

Thanks, Derek! After working with the greenstuff for a while, I did kinda get the hang of it.. though still unsure as to if I like it or not yet. With the background, I just use a piece of light gray printing paper that goes from dark to light. I never thought of the artist papers, I might need to go check that out at our new Hobby Lobby!

Thank you :) I'm not sure when I'll have time to paint when she's here, but I definitely won't stop :) Just might take a bit longer to get em out lol