Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

space marines movie

The Beasts of War guys are in love with this thing, and actually did a review on their YouTube channel that is longer than the movie itself.

Personally, from the previews, it looks to me like a glorified Bionicle flick for the slightly older crowd.

I'm dreadfully jealous that the WH4K guys get a movie and all, but I can't say I envy the comical style of movement the characters display in what I've seen.

I agree about the visuals. Better graphics in the cut scenes from Dawn of War.

But heck, I'd watch a 1990's style animation if the story was good enough, know what I mean? I'll check out the review, thanks for the heads up on that!

From what I heard, the movie is VERY appropriate if you're a fan of 40K, less so if you know nothing about the setting. But in general, despite the whining on the internet, it has been pretty well received.

Also re: animation. Keep in mind this was made on a shoe-string budget. ANY console or video game is going to have significantly more budget, including $$$ per second for cut scenes, than something like this.

Damon.

Also re: animation. Keep in mind this was made on a shoe-string budget. ANY console or video game is going to have significantly more budget, including $$$ per second for cut scenes, than something like this.

Oh, right! I'm not knocking it really, just noting the quality. I think the story is far more important than the visuals. Visuals are nice, but story is supreme. I watched Avatar once and thought it was cool, but that's it. I keep coming back to Willow. Even though Willow is extremely dated with its effects, I think the story and characters are great, so it is worth watching.

I keep coming back to Willow. Even though Willow is extremely dated with its effects, I think the story and characters are great, so it is worth watching.

OT: did you know that Claremont wrote sequels to the movie? I read the 1st sequel and it was pretty good. I've been looking for the 2nd in HB for a while now...

Damon.

I keep coming back to Willow. Even though Willow is extremely dated with its effects, I think the story and characters are great, so it is worth watching.

OT: did you know that Claremont wrote sequels to the movie? I read the 1st sequel and it was pretty good. I've been looking for the 2nd in HB for a while now...

Damon.

I didn't know that! I'll have to give a look at that, thanks for the heads up :bday:

I'm not knocking the effort or anything, just reporting what I've seen of it.

Again, I'm jealous. I'd love to see a Warmachine movie, even if it was equally low budget.

Here's a link to the first book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...91840723&sr=1-3

Damon.

I have the first one, but never realized that they made 2 more. Its been so long since I read it that I don't remember if I liked it enough to be worth buying the other two. Guess I've got something to re-read over the holidays now!

I'm not knocking the effort or anything, just reporting what I've seen of it.

Again, I'm jealous. I'd love to see a Warmachine movie, even if it was equally low budget.

I tried talking Blitz into making an animated CAV movie on his own, but he wasn't too thrilled about the idea. :lol:

Just kidding! I'd love to see something done like the intro to MechWarrior 4 tho. That was too sweet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maUkbGJiyh0

I didn't remember that intro to Mech 4 (I think I just got MW4: mercs), but there was an amazing number of Clan machines in the hands of the feddies, plus that Raven that didn't make it out of the mech bay...

(This is one of the reasons I didn't like the MW franchise so much after 2: mercs; some odd choices in mech assignments, plus it was so low budget they wore aviators helmets instead of doing up actual Neurohelmets...)

Damon.

Speaking of sweet mech videos, I assume you've all seen this one?

Mum's the word on development progress but the buzz is for late 2011 or 2012 release.. maybe.

My copy just shipped yesterday (they were having fulfillment issues). I'm looking forward to watching it.