Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

One model to rule them all

Do you have a single model in an army that is responsible for your owning that army? The one model you saw and said, "Oh, I have to play that army!" Even if the other models were ho-hum?

For me, it's Kainus 14520. Now I've got a bunch of Koborlas models from way back. I had them at first for my Merc army, as they were part of Orba's horde. Then I played them on their own and needed more than one unit, so I bought more. But after 2.0 I shelved them. They weren't high on my break out and play list even when Savage North came out. I did order Kainus because I needed another fierce leader type. Wow, look at this guy! He's great. I can't wait to paint him up and slap him on the field. Koborlas have some new blood! I need to buy the rest of the pack now. So if you ever see me playing a Koborlas army, blame Kainus...or Tim Prow. If you read this, Tim, it's a great piece of work.

So, anyone have similar stories?

It was the lowly Scragger that got me excited about the Bloodstone Gnomes. I picked up an army to use as a loaner, but once I saw that the Scragger looked like a corrupted Smurf I warmed up to the army. Now it's one of my preferred armies to play.

02479 Ettin - Bought him long ago because I liked the mini. He serves as a Hill Giant in the Reven Army even though the Reven-style Orc is probably my least favorite subspecies (of Orc).

It's gotta be Durgam Deepmug for me.

Before I played Warlord I used to play the clicky games.. mageknight and all of that. I was young, cut me some slack! Anyways, I picked up a 3-pack of Piercers and Durgam Deepmug just to paint, because I thought they looked really awesome. At that point I had no intention of playing the game, I just wanted to try out painting. But before long I had picked up the Dwarf army box, giving me 8 warriors, Margara + familiar, and Thorgram, and I had a blast painting them all up too! There were quick start rules in that box - just the super basic "this is how you roll to attack, your MOV is how far you can move, now go have fun!" And the rest is history really! Got a few friends into the game, and things took off from there.

I picked up a Nefsokar army as well, and the primary motivation at that point was to have something a little trickier. Dwarves at that point were very straight forward. My first Nefsokar model, and one that I still think looks really awesome, was Neb'nesew Ne'pet, Royal Lord of the Sky, Bringer of Life and Death in the Sands, The Storm Lord. It was only this past summer that I picked up Khufu (mostly because the Divine Tome rocks my socks off), so whenever I played Nefsokar I always had Neb leading the fighting company. Man I love that guy, he's got so many tricks up his sleeves! We always used to insist that you use his full name and title whenever you referenced him. So when I activated him and declared/performed his actions, or when an opponent targeted him. "...next I'll cast a spell with Neb'nesew Ne'pet, Royal Lord of the Sky, Bringer of Life and Death in the Sands, The Storm Lord." Never got old ^_^

For me, it's Kainus 14520.

And to think, I own my Koborlas *despite* Kainus. :;):

But I feel where you are coming from. I blame/credit my Crusader army to the older leader models - Conlan & Malcolm. I loved those long before I played Warlord. The same can be said for Lysette. And I probably own Razig because of how totally awesome the Dark Maiden is, on every level.

~v

A little while after Warlord was released I got into painting fantasy minis and and found the Reaper boards. I subsequently found out about the game of Warlord and read what I could about the factions. I was undecided when I bought the rule book as to which faction to play when I saw the artwork for Rauthuros, at which point I immediately decided on the Darkspawn as my faction. When I found out there was not a model for him yet, I sculpted my own.

When Savage North came out I was thinking about building the Sisters faction mainly because I already had several models for the faction, but when Stubbdog showed me the artwork that was the inspiration for the Sable Guard (Giant Ferret Riders) I was hooked. Since a model isn't released yet I keep telling myself that I am going to start sculpting one.

Edited by Humansquish

Well, the new owlbear model has kept me from throwing my elves into my future melt bucket. I am also planning to build a small Icingstead faction just because of Hurgg and the Keskura foxes. I had decided to keep only my dwarfs and Reven as large armies and a keep enough Sisters and Mercs to play. But now I think I'll get rid of part of my reven and dwarfs to get small army for Icelingsted and some owlbears to use with my elves. My downsize goal is to keep Warlord in three cases. Now its about 5.

What's wrong with five cases? Don't think small. You need seven cases (because you have to keep it prime).

Nah, he just needs to get BIGGER cases!!!! that way the 5 puny cases of figures that he has will happily fit into 3 MUCH larger cases with room to add more minis!!

What's wrong with five cases? Don't think small. You need seven cases (because you have to keep it prime).

It's an issue of non-use and not really space. If I played, say weekly, I'd have no problem having ten cases, but that's not the case. I'd love to play more often, but since I can't I'd rather use the space for something I can use on a regular basis.

To get back on topic. I built my Crusader and Necropolis armies around Uriel and Gauntfield. I had forgotten about them because they were sacrificed at RC a couple years ago to get a goblin horde and a Highlander proxy army.

And I probably own Razig because of how totally awesome the Dark Maiden is, on every level.

Only reason I picked up Warlord, and Razig is the only faction I own.

The Dark Maiden, combined with skeleton and zombie pirates, sends their 'way cool' factor way up. Now, they just need a ninja..........