Possible mini (squad/unit) exchange

Mark Theurer

Hi all,

I've not run one of these before but have an idea for one that I'd like to try out if others are willing to participate. I've run math trades (yes, I know not really the same but similar enough to say I have some experience) for board games over on www.boardgamegeek.com (been quite a while though) so I feel that I can handle the trades part of this.

Anyway, my idea is to run a mini exchange/trade, but for whole units at a time. There would be criteria on numbers of models, genre, etc... but I'm thinking of it as painting and trading off a small-medium encounter's worth of painted figs to each person that participates. Since there would be multiple figures involved I'd say that a Jan-Feb-Mar timeline would be adequate but with each participant doing a progress check-in every three weeks (minimum, or more often if they want).

Basically, my first question would be, are there enough people that would be interested and committed to doing this? What do I mean by enough? Well, I'd love to see a dozen or more but think that 6 is a good starting point. I'll count me as #1 so what do y'all think?

Thanks,

Mark, RMTV

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with three of us so far it's starting to come together. I'll start putting down some rules/criteria and hopefully we'll get some more that want to participate. Once we have enough people I'll put all of the rules/criteria together and we can get going.

Mark's 2011Q1 Squad/Unit Mini-Exchange

1. All minis must start as Reaper figures. Conversions are allowed, but no more than 25% of a figure can be non-Reaper. Just be reasonable here and everyone will be ok.

2. This is a unit/squad exchange that's supposed to net each participant a usable group of figures for gaming. A fairly rough estimate of what constitutes a unit/squad is...

- 3-5 man/orc/gnoll/bugbear/etc... sized miniatures

- 2-3 ogre/troll/etc... sized miniatures

- 5-8 goblin sized miniatures

Again, like in #1, be reasonable and everything should turn out fine. What you should be putting together and painting is a reasonably cohesive unit that a party of PCs would have to fight.

3. Genres are Fantasy (DHL, Warlord, Pathfinder), Modern (applicable Chronoscope) or Sci-Fi (applicable Chronoscope).

4. Newly painted figs only! That doesn't mean that you cannot use figures that have been sitting in your "pile o' metal" for years just staring at you begging to be painted. This is a perfect opportunity to use them. Just don't grab a handful of already painted guys off your shelf and use them for this. This is supposed to be an opportunity to paint and swap, not just swap.

Ok, that's it for now. Had a long day and gotta get to some other stuff.

Mark

Updated rules below. #5, #6 and #7 added. #3 updated.

Mark's 2011Q1 Squad/Unit Mini-Exchange

1. All minis must start as Reaper figures. Conversions are allowed, but no more than 25% of a figure can be non-Reaper. Just be reasonable here and everyone will be ok.

2. This is a unit/squad exchange that's supposed to net each participant a usable group of figures for gaming. A fairly rough estimate of what constitutes a unit/squad is...

- 3-5 man/orc/gnoll/bugbear/etc... sized miniatures

- 2-3 ogre/troll/etc... sized miniatures

- 5-8 goblin sized miniatures

Again, like in #1, be reasonable and everything should turn out fine. What you should be putting together and painting is a reasonably cohesive unit that a party of PCs would have to fight.

3. Genres are Fantasy (DHL, Warlord, Pathfinder), Modern (applicable Chronoscope) or Sci-Fi (applicable Chronoscope). Super-heroes (villain) and RoTD units / groups should go in the 'modern' section.

4. Newly painted figs only! That doesn't mean that you cannot use figures that have been sitting in your "pile o' metal" for years just staring at you begging to be painted. This is a perfect opportunity to use them. Just don't grab a handful of already painted guys off your shelf and use them for this. This is supposed to be an opportunity to paint and swap, not just swap.

5. Basing. Painter's choice but, like other rules, be reasonable. The goal is for people to be able use the unit you send them in a game. So, using the base they come with is perfectly fine. Putting DHL figs on appropriate slotta-bases is also ok. Just don't do things like putting goblins on 40mm bases.

6. Trades. If you participate that means that you're ok getting whatever yuo end up with. I know that may sound harsh, but it's my first time running one of these with figs and such so it's just simpler that way. Once we have participants set I'll randomly generate the trade list and let everyone know who's painting for who. Then, feel free to send them an email with "hey I'd like this more than that" or "i don't play anything but fantasy" or "all I play is super-hero games" so you can nudge them in the right direction, but ultimately it's up to the painter as to what they'll be working on. Of course "whatever you want to do is fine with me" would be ideal.

7. Timeline. If we can get participants sorted out by the end of December I think that all of Jan/Feb/Mar is plenty of time to paint up a small-ish unit of figures.

Mark

Hi all,

So, we'll get this paint/exchange rolling with the four of us. I can understand the smaller participation this time since it's a new thing and there are more models involved than just a single figure. Here's the list...

Mark Theurer painting for warlordgarou

warlordgarou painting for mercoutlaw

ol'timer painting for Mark Theurer

mercoutlaw painting for ol'timer

Please acknowledge that you've rec'd your assignment as a posting to this list and as part of that post be sure to indicate one of the following...

- anything is ok for me

- no fantasy please

- no sci-fi please (including aliens, nova corp, etc...)

- no super-heroes please (you know what they are)

- no historicals please (including wild west, zulus, brit colonials, etc...)

- no moderns please (includes WWII, RoTD, Zombie Survivors, etc...)

- only fantasy please

- only sci-fi please

- only super-heroes please

- only historicals please (including wild west, zulus, brit colonials, etc...)

- only moderns please (includes WWII, RoTD, Zombie Survivors, etc...)

And then, progress reports every three weeks or so would be good.

Thanks for participating.

Mark

Sorry, guys, been busy with work, Convention planning and some family health issues...but I am here!

I am Ben (Mercoutlaw) Starkey, and I affirm that I am painting for Ol'timer

Personally, I am a SciFi/CAV/Chronoscope kinda guy, but would not be opposed to some well done fantasy. Basically, I don't paint fantasy much, but I do admire it! I am easy to please, so whatever I get I will be very pleased with!

Sorry for the delay! Thanks for running this, Mark!