Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

Monique DeNoir

Picked this mini up a while back based on pure coolness factor. I was attracted to the 54mm version, but realistically speaking I know I cannot do a mini of that caliber any justice whatsoever. So I stuck to the 28mm version! She languished on the back corner of my desk for many months wearing nothing but primer and plain maroon armor, but recently I've put more work into her. Here she is:

post-3006-12928775054272_thumb.jpg

post-3006-12928775397639_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like the colors you used. The model looks unfinished to me though. Maybe its the photo, but it seems it could use a bit more highlighting, and alot more shadow. Try mixing up a watery brown umber wash (with a tiny drop of dish soap) and wash it over the models skin parts and the sword crosshandle part. Let it dry completely and decide if it needs another wash (if you got it too watery the first time). Then maybe add flesh highlights if you think it needs it.

I really like the blending of colors you have going on with the sword. Almost molten-like. You've got some good brush control too!

Good call on the wash. I gave her skin a wash during the painting process but it came out horribly so I painted over it all. Guess I was a little gun-shy after that.

Here are new pictures. No new paint but I have a different background. Maybe it's just me but it seems to show the colors a little better. What do you think? Too dark? I'm still fiddling with camera settings and lightbox issues. Not that my painting is amazing and the camera setup is ruining it - but hey, someday I'd like to think that I'll be at the level that the camera setup is going to matter, and I may as well fiddle with that now, right?

post-3006-12928852055502_thumb.jpg

post-3006-12928852181835_thumb.jpg

I'll give her skin a wash and will post a new picture.

The new background helps a bunch. This is a really good tabletop job, very nice colors and painting...the only thing is....she needs eyes in a bad way...if you added the eyes it would improve the entire mini by 100%, and it is already quite good, so I would hate to see her go eyeless for the rest of her eternal life ::D:

The red is SPECTACULAR. She's a good looking mini; a bit of shading on the flesh & metallic areas & eyes are all that's necessary to bring her to the next level. GOOD WORK!

Ok, here we go. I gave her eyes, I washed her face/neck/chest plus the hilt/pommel of her sword and her purple .. whatever that is. Tabard, for the lack of a better word. I think you all were right, she does look better this way.

post-3006-12929609896592_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys! next up I'm going to work on a GW Mini of Gimli sitting on an Uruk Hai. Picked this one up a while ago and shelved it in order to paint up models for gameplay, but now that I'm beginning to paint models for the fun of painting, he's priority one. Hopefully will have him finished by early January (what with Christmas reducing hobby time and all). I'm definitely going to be incorporating as many good painting techniques as I can and will try to put my best effort into it!