Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

Christmas Catastrophe

Why not a Christmas themed scenario?

Fluff: Santa Claus was riding to and fro across the skies of Adon distributing gifts to all of the good little children when the magic powering his sleigh gave out! The poor saint plummeted to the earth. A timely Teleportation spell saved him, but his sleigh could not be saved. It crashed to the earth in a loud crunch, scattering the remaining gifts over the landscape. Nearby fighting companies could not resist the temptation - very few members of fighting companies are "good little boys and girls" and this may be their only shot at a gift "from Santa!"

Objective: Score more points than your opponent within 5 rounds

Players: 2

Scoring: Points killed = points earned. Gifts claimed = 15 points. Gifts held at the end of the game = 30 points.

Setup: Arrange terrain to suit both players. Scatter 10 tokens (use pipe cleaners looped into the size of dimes) across the map so that both players have fair access to equal amounts.

Special Rules: The 10 tokens represent Santa's gifts. A model that is in b2b with a token may perform a Free Action to pick it up (claim it). Roll on the table below to determine what the gift is. The gift may be taken by any member of the same troop as a free action (this does not count as claiming it) or transfered to any allied unit as a free action (likewise - this is not claiming it). A model with a gift that dies drops the gift. It may be claimed by any model. Posessing a gift at the end of the fifth round counts as "holding a gift at the end of the game." Faction specific equipment claimed as a gift may be used by members of any faction. Any model may use a gift, even if it normally cannot use equipment of that kind.

GIFT TABLE

1 - Luckstone (recharges when claimed if used previously

2 - Magical Weapon

3 - Magical Ranged Weapon

4 - Fire Keg (reven)

5 - Wand of Bolt (CP6)

6 - Fairy Musician (stacks with purchased musician equipment)

7 - Armor of Courage

8 - Holy Weapon

9 - Mithril Weapon (kragmarr)

10 - Sword of Venom

-------------------

Not sure why Santa has (had?) such a deadly payload, but toy trucks aren't worth fighting over on the tabletop!! :blink:

Interesting concept. So, you can either open the gift and use whatever is in it, or you can just keep it and collect the points.

If you open it and then get killed, what happens?

Are items still restricted to the user? That is, are items still limited to non soldiers?

I wonder if, based on the description of the scene, whether any soldier that collects a gift might need to make a DIS check to keep from opening himself in the excitement.

I love that last addition, Stubbdog. Soldiers who can't wait to unwrap their gifts. Classic, and really fun.

Cool scenario, JD. What happens after the battle? Does Santa come riding back with his cadre of fighting elves to reclaim the gifts? Sounds like a fight.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of making a choice between opening the gifts now for small points and a bonus during battle or waiting for a bigger point payoff. I was thinking that you get 15 points whenever you claim a gift, and the 30 points for holding it at the end of the game was an added bonus for not losing it.

But I like the choice, too. Figure a 15 point gap is enough to compensate for not getting to use the item?

@Warwick

Well depending on how high level Santa is, he may be able to teleport away and then mass teleport back to the scene with his army of elves. Hmm, that sounds like a pretty fun proxy army...

A very neat scenario idea. To me it just screams for a long impact trench with bits of presents, sleigh, and reindeer scattered about.

One suggestion to further improve the event. Every holiday season my local shop runs a can drive. For each can you bring in you get a ticket that is used for re-rolls. Each activation the cost goes up by one ticket per re-roll per person. That means when troop A is activated, my first re-roll costs one ticket. My second one for that activation costs two, and so on. I could be up to four or five tickets, but if another guy wants to require a re-roll it's still one ticket for his first one. Next activation it resets to one again. Anybody with tickets can demand a re-roll. It is crazy fun as guys start messing with each other. We have activations where 30-40 tickets are spent to affect one dice roll. This year we had two games and collected 265 cans just for the Warlord events. The shop total was 665. The local food banks love us and we have a blast, so it's all good!

One suggestion to further improve the event. Every holiday season my local shop runs a can drive. For each can you bring in you get a ticket that is used for re-rolls. Each activation the cost goes up by one ticket per re-roll per person. That means when troop A is activated, my first re-roll costs one ticket. My second one for that activation costs two, and so on. I could be up to four or five tickets, but if another guy wants to require a re-roll it's still one ticket for his first one. Next activation it resets to one again. Anybody with tickets can demand a re-roll. It is crazy fun as guys start messing with each other. We have activations where 30-40 tickets are spent to affect one dice roll. This year we had two games and collected 265 cans just for the Warlord events. The shop total was 665. The local food banks love us and we have a blast, so it's all good!

BRILLIANT