Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

preplanning for a noob

So Reapercon is May 19th-22nd. I may actually be able to make it this year! Woohoo! BUT! As I am a con-noob, I could use some advice as far as the planning goes. How early should I book a hotel and etc? I have heard that college graduations tend to mean hotels fill up, is that true?

What bits of information did you wish you knew the first time you traveled for a con?

My wife is vaguely interested in taking the trip, but she's not a gamer and is not interested in day after day of a convention. I heard something about on-site things for spouses to do - classes or events or something like that. Is there any substance to those ideas? What is there to do in the area?

Those are all of the questions I can think of right now, but I'm sure there will be more to follow!

In the Reapercon forum there is a pinned list (right at the top of the page) of things to see and do in the DFW area. Denton, despite its population is still something of a small town, so you'll need to drive a bit to get to the Attractions.

Here is a thread from this past Reapercon that will answer a lot of your questions about what is available on site: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39486-first-timer-to-reapercon/

Hotels north of the Reaper facility (in Denton, closer to the universities) will probably get booked up but it should not be impossible to get a room 30-45 days out. Hotels south of Reaper (in Lewisville or Flower Mound) are more likely to have rooms at the last minute.