Sign in to follow this  
pez5767

Petra Posiedew

Last year my daughter (age 8 at the time) asked if I would paint a model just for her. I agreed, and she looked through the Reaper catalog and picked out one she liked. It looked like a kid to her, so she was excited. I drew her a quick sketch of the model and told her to color the sketch the way she would like the model painted. I stashed away the model and her colored picture and let it slip out of her memory. While she was away at Grandma and Grandpa's house for a Christmas visit, I dug out the model, colored picture, and got to work.

On Christmas morning, she unwrapped the following surprise... I'm happy to say she was thrilled.

post-4760-12939541699465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks gang. I appreciate the kind words.

She used her figure to play Descent with her Mom and I the other day. That was a blast!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the context! Nice blends and good control of contrast (on the turquoise-blue & green of the robe, the staff-head gold, and the shoulders especially). Nice subtle treatment of the "black" staff, too. The hair & hair-ties could have gotten slightly higher highlights; their contrast is a little lower than the rest of the figure's, so the head isn't holding my eye the way it should.

But anyway: fine work, and may the figure bring her good luck in Descent!

Derek

Thank you for the feedback Derek.

I see exactly what you mean about the hair, I'll have to add that to my mental checklist in the future.

With this model, I struggled to paint the face like a female child and still keep appropriate contrast on the skin to keep it interesting. Any suggestions there? I also hadn't done any silver NMM in a while and the shoulder guards didn't turn out quite as I had hoped they would... they look muddy to my eyes.

One seperate fun note, the base of this model was crafted as an homage to some of the bases I've seen you do Derek. So thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you again,

Pez5767

The contrast on the face looks good, Jody. I think you wouldn't want to make it very harsh if you are going for a "child" effect. Glazing more pink into the cheeks and nose and lips might help -- not to look like makeup, certainly, but just adding a warm youthful glow (or recently-wiped runny nose, or whatever). :;): The extra contrast from that color would also help attract our eyes to her face.

I was seeing the shoulder guards as a shiny dark leather or enamelled metal rather than silver, so to make them look silver I would enlarge the highlights on top and generally expand the midtone into some of the areas that are now dark -- lighten the average value overall. Sometimes I even glaze some of the surrounding colors at the edges as "reflections", though on this particular figure I don't see much opportunity for it. (Maybe just add some of the robe's blue to the underside.)

And thanks for the note about the base! Glad to inspire. ::):

Derek