RIP Pro Paints

Nanite

Ed mentioned Pro Paints are going quietly into the night.  I'm sad, but understand.

I would like to suggest sending all the remaining stock to Spike, and myself.  It will be a sacrifice, but I think we are willing to take one for the team.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was about ten years or so that Steve discovered ProPaints in his quest to find something similar to the old Polly S that had become unavailable. He was quite happy with ProPaints after that and has used them almost exclusively ever since. I began painting with ProPaints, but was keen to switch to Master Series because it seemed the bottles would be less mess. In fact, the bottles have been real hit-and-miss for me as well as for others here, and I began using ProPaints again. After having tried both, I liked how ProPaints covered the models more evenly and with less shine.

I suppose I would be unfair not to try out the new covers-more-easier variety of Master Series that is coming out soon...soon? ...but now that Testors has reintroduced Polly-Scale paints, I predict change in the paint-buying habits of this household.

But at least for now, there are projects to be finished, so we'll likely do one final stockpiling of the ProPaints needed, and then Reaper will just have to be content with supplying us with our minis. This they do very well...but it is sad to see ProPaints going away, since they're the ones that brought us here.

I used to love Partha's paints & when I first discovered Reaper's Pro Paint line I was like "Wow, 1985 all over again!!". I'll be sad to see them go, but alas I use & buy so many paints these days, I guess one less line to use won't kill me.

I just need to get some black before it all goes away as the cap didn't seal right & it dried right up (must have thought it was a GW paint :lol:)

RM

This is truly sad since the new ProPaints replaced the vast majority of the Master Series I chose the discontinue using..oh well. Guess it makes the decision to focus on P3 and vallejo model colors all that much easier.

I'm curious if you didn't like RMS paints in general, or if it was a problem with particular colors. I have a few RMS colors that are grainy or that don't hold together too well, but most of them seem very good to this amateur.

• Reaper User

This is truly sad since the new ProPaints replaced the vast majority of the Master Series I chose the discontinue using..oh well. Guess it makes the decision to focus on P3 and vallejo model colors all that much easier.

I'm curious if you didn't like RMS paints in general, or if it was a problem with particular colors. I have a few RMS colors that are grainy or that don't hold together too well, but most of them seem very good to this amateur.

I too am curious since "for me" Vallejo and Pro-Paint were polar opposites.

~sigh~ I've been using Pro Paints on my 15mm since they do such nice one coat coverage. I should have more than enough to finish my army but it looks like I'll be finding another vinyl based line of paints to do more, if I do. One coat coverage and all that.

So are the Pro Paints just not profitable? I've never used them myself, having gone straight from craft paints to the RMS stuff, and I like them well enough, but sometimes the bottles are just as much a pain as a pleasure. They either get stopped up and I have to put a pin through the little hole the paint comes out of, or a whole bunch squirts out and I feel like I've just wasted half the bottle. As often as not, any more I just open the actual bottle after having shaken it and use the top part to put a drop of paint on my pallet.

So are the Pro Paints just not profitable? I've never used them myself, having gone straight from craft paints to the RMS stuff, and I like them well enough, but sometimes the bottles are just as much a pain as a pleasure. They either get stopped up and I have to put a pin through the little hole the paint comes out of, or a whole bunch squirts out and I feel like I've just wasted half the bottle. As often as not, any more I just open the actual bottle after having shaken it and use the top part to put a drop of paint on my pallet.

No. In another thread, Ed indicated that the ProPaints were going to be discontinued because the containers used for them will no longer make the product cost effective. They explored the possibility of repackaging, but the cost and potential confusion (including shelving, labeling, vendor concerns, etc) made discontinuing the line the best option, even if it does suck. The line was doing well.

I'll add the link in a second.

And here it is

Edited by Qwyksilver

I was all gung ho about the RMS when I first had heard that they were coming out. I, in fact, actually purchased the whole first set release. After using them however I met with disappointment but continued to buy select colors from the next sets.

I experienced grainy, clumpy and chalky symptoms that others on the forum have described. I guess it was the initial inconsistancy that turned me off and has kept me leery of using them again. When my local game store recieved the promo pack of

the reformulated ProPaints I was given them to try and loved them. But now hearing that that are going away saddens me as I will have to shift again to another paint line. Sorry Reaper.... RMS just doesnt do it for me. I'm not going to rebuy the whole collection of RMS

if it turns out that the release I had purchased was experiencing production problems or bad formulations.

Well Ed if you refer to my reply to Serenity you will see one reason why I chose to discontinue using RMS. As far as being "polar opposites" that might indeed be but I had very good results with ProPaints as opposed to RMS. The Vallejo's will always be a part of my palette

because I also do military modeling and they are good for that. No guesswork in getting that Dunkelgrau as close as possible.

Why isn't packaging the Pro's in dropper bottles like the RMS are already in being looked at (if it isn't) instead of scrapping the whole line?

• Reaper User

Why isn't packaging the Pro's in dropper bottles like the RMS are already in being looked at (if it isn't) instead of scrapping the whole line?

As I have already posted here, the decision to "change" to another bottle or even an MSP dropper bottle was not practical. It means scrapping and retooling everything from racks and blisters on down to the capping machine and then going through a long and impractical process of "reeducation" and re-branding. This is further compounded by everyone's natural aversion to change. It was discussed at great length.

bye