RIP Pro Paints

Nanite

Why isn't packaging the Pro's in dropper bottles like the RMS are already in being looked at (if it isn't) instead of scrapping the whole line?

As I have already posted here, the decision to "change" to another bottle or even an MSP dropper bottle was not practical. It means scrapping and retooling everything from racks and blisters on down to the capping machine and then going through a long and impractical process of "reeducation" and re-branding. This is further compounded by everyone's natural aversion to change. It was discussed at great length.

bye

Well I guess I just didn't see the other thread entry. Sorry.

It really is only a loss to those of us who liked the reformulated Pro's but like I said before it's not too terrible a setback since I'm already transitioning to P3's

bye

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

like I said before it's not too terrible a setback since I'm already transitioning to P3's

Well I hope it goes well. I have heard good things about P3 with the only detracting comment being a spotty supply at times.

bye

I have also heard, by 2nd and 3rd hand only, that the later colors introduced into the P3 line are not as good as the original series. This could certainly be something that has already been corrected.

Having used just about every color they produce I can say that I have had no troubles at all.

~sigh~ I've been using Pro Paints on my 15mm since they do such nice one coat coverage. I should have more than enough to finish my army but it looks like I'll be finding another vinyl based line of paints to do more, if I do. One coat coverage and all that.

Didn't someone post that all of the ProPaint colors are going to show up as MSPHD colors?

Won't this give the coverage you need without having to find 'another vinyl based line of paints'?

Having used just about every color they produce I can say that I have had no troubles at all.

Lol, then why are you here posting!~ Sounds like you should be off painting.

hehe...merely answering a concern...painting is something I do to relax and I'm plenty relaxed right now...LOL

bye

To avoid a troll riot over my accidental use of 'all'

Sadly Spike,yes, the Pro Paint line of paint will cease production as supplies run out. Normally we don't announce this type of cancellation to the public or make a big deal about it. Usually simply omitting canceled items from the catalog is all we do. That said, unlike canceled miniatures that we can go cast, we can't make more Pro Paint.

The reason for the cancellation is the bottle became unavailable at a reasonable price as of 1.Sept.2010. For me, this is the worst reason of all to cancel a line. To cancel something because it is not selling well is one thing, but to do it when the line is performing very well is counter to my nature. There was a lot of discussion concerning this event and we seriously looked at every option. The problem simply came down to the bottle. Changing bottles meant scrapping everything. Racks, blisters, cards, labels everything would have to go and trying to simply "change" it over would cost too much and confuse everyone.

I would give a good look at the new Master Series HD (High Density Pigments line). You will see all of the most popular Pro Paint colors in the new line, reformulated for smoother texture and coverage. Now please do not read into my statement that the new MSP HD paints are simply "re-bottled" Pro Paints. That is not true. All we did was use existing proven sales data to determine popular starting colors.

best to all!

bye

Could someone give me a good run down on the difference between the pro paints and the Master Series? I have never used the Master Series. As I have said I love the Pro paints. But there are other lines I have used that are fine as well. What is it about the Master Series that I will like?

Could someone give me a good run down on the difference between the pro paints and the Master Series? I have never used the Master Series. As I have said I love the Pro paints. But there are other lines I have used that are fine as well. What is it about the Master Series that I will like?

Maybe that they are developed in a basecoat, shade, highlight triad?

Maybe that they are developed in a basecoat, shade, highlight triad?

Yeah, what he said.

There are several hundred RMS that have been produced that makes mixing less necessary for many painters and gives a very, very robust color palette.

RMS are in dropper bottles to it's easier to make/reproduce formulas of colors that you like by counting/recording the drops used.

I have figured out why this announcement is upsetting me so much. Not only am I losing my favorite paint line, I don't have anybody to cuss at. I know the folks down at Reaper, and if Ed says this was the decision that had to be made, I'm willing to believe him. So I can't justify being mad at Reaper. I can blame the bottle maker, but what satisfaction is there to throw out negative waves toward an entity I know only as "That danged bottle maker company".

<Sigh> I've vented now, at least I got to do that. Thanks for listening....er...reading.......

• Reaper User

Pro Paints were developed as a simple what you see is what you get color system. Unlike most paint manufacturers, all colors were developed from a solid color base rather than a clear base. Meaning, that you had to create pigments and bases to accept pigments that were outside of the normal range of manufacture.

PP:

-Had good one coat coverage.

-Worked well as a base coat line.

-Came in pots, which allowed those that paint directly from a bottle to use their skill set.

-They were not very airbrush friendly but could be worked that way.

-They could be diluted very substantially

-Matte

MSP was developed to address changes in the marketplace. A lot of consumers skill sets in painting have moved way beyond simply opening a bottle and adding some paint to a model. MSP was formulated with these advanced painting techniques in mind.

MSP:

-Triad system makes shading and highlighting colors a snap

-Enhanced flow properties make painting small details easier

-Excellent for thinned paint applications like layering, washes and glazes

-Smooth and fluid right out of the bottle means less thinning required

-Airbrush-friendly

-Can be substantially diluted

-Matte

While I am at it - Here is the run down on the New MSP HD

MSP HD High-Density:

- Excellent for laying down fast base-coats

- The same great flow properties as existing MSP line paints

- New high-density pigments give increased coverage with smooth consistency

- Airbrush-friendly

- Matte

- Can be substantially diluted

- 100% compatible with the MSP range

- The colors created are unique and have been designed to fit in easily with the existing MSP triad system, significantly expanding the range of colors available

In the end it is obviously a very personal choice. If you liked Pro Paint and want to stick with a basic wargame paint line with pots then look at P-3 (made by Coat de Arms) or the GW paint line.

bye