Sealing Miniatures

Steel Rabbit

So in years past my favored method of making sure my miniatures don't chip is to hit them with a coat of Citadel's 'Ardcoat, then a coat of the Purity Seal. However GW doesn't make 'Ardcoat anymore and their Purity Seal formula has changed (or so I hear, I haven't used the new bottle yet). Seeing as my figures are primarily gaming pieces I would like some suggestions as to how I should go about finishing my figures after the paint has dried. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a bullet-proof coating, Future is a possibility. Straight from the bottle, it will give a very thick, very hard coating that is quite clear. If you want a thinner coating, you'll have to thin it. (Since it's an acrylic, you shouldn't find that especially difficult.)

After the Future is dry, hit the figures with Testors Dullcoat to kill the shine.

I bought a can of Dullcote a year and a half ago and cheerfully used it -- weather permitting -- until it ran out. Now I use Reaper's brush-on sealer, thinned with water, no matter what the weather's doing. I'm not at all disappointed by comparison. Of course, I live in Vancouver, where it rains a lot; if I lived in, say, Arizona I might be more partial to aerosols.

My miniatures don't get much hard use -- I use 'em for tabletop RPGs, but don't drag 'em to distant lands for wargame tournaments -- so I'm happy with just the brush-on sealer. If I get back into something like 40k I'll be experimenting with Future (hard to find around here, last I checked; do other floor waxes work just as well?) and a topcoat to knock down the gloss.

If you want a good seal, any clear gloss will work with matte coat over it. The gloss coat dries harder and protects the mini better than just a dull coat. Also with a gloss coat on first you will notice the mini getting shiny when the dull coat gets worn off, so you will know when it is time to put on another coat of dull.

The best seal combination I have heard of without having so much sealer on that it ruins the mini is a layer of Krylons Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze, with a layer or two of dull coat. I use Krylons Matte sealer and have also used Testors Dull Coat. Testors ends up a little flatter than Krylons, but I like the bigger can of Krylon.

If you do use the Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze be careful with decals as this sealer will eat them. You want to apply the decals, cover the decals with a different sealer (I brush on Future), then hit it with the triple thick. I have not heard of this issue with other gloss sealers.

If I get back into something like 40k I'll be experimenting with Future (hard to find around here, last I checked; do other floor waxes work just as well?) and a topcoat to knock down the gloss.

No, Future isn't a wax, it's an acrylic floor coating. As I understand it, it doesn't mix well with some RMS paints, but as long as they're fully dry, there should not be any problem.