help me pick second army

it' s officially started. I have begun preparing my Vandorendra model for paiint. With that, my Darkspawn army has begun.

My big problem is that I want to start a second army. The primary goal is to run demo games, but also a bit of variety for playing casual games.

My biggest problem is that all the armies are just so damned cool, in their own ways.

For starters, I could start Mercs, use teh bounty doctrine, and run the Twisted Sisters with it. Cool, no? (and yes, complete wioth Darkthrall cultisit.) or I could run Nefsokar for my love all all things ancient Egypt. Or Crusaders, just becaue I've never run a "good" army.

Anyway, tell me why I should go with Army X, and include all important factors such as matchup-worthiness, the really cool model(s) that drew you to the factiion, and just the fun factor you believe the army has. Not looking for specific lists or tactics, just nudges in the right direction. Thank you.

Collect'em all. I'm serious. If you fall for a game for it's setting and mechanic, you should buy all of the armies. It makes it easy to invite someone over, as they don't need to even pack up a bunch of models. It's a long path to take, but it's not a bad outcome.

it' s officially started. I have begun preparing my Vandorendra model for paiint. With that, my Darkspawn army has begun.

My big problem is that I want to start a second army. The primary goal is to run demo games, but also a bit of variety for playing casual games.

My biggest problem is that all the armies are just so damned cool, in their own ways.

For starters, I could start Mercs, use teh bounty doctrine, and run the Twisted Sisters with it. Cool, no? (and yes, complete wioth Darkthrall cultisit.) or I could run Nefsokar for my love all all things ancient Egypt. Or Crusaders, just becaue I've never run a "good" army.

Anyway, tell me why I should go with Army X, and include all important factors such as matchup-worthiness, the really cool model(s) that drew you to the factiion, and just the fun factor you believe the army has. Not looking for specific lists or tactics, just nudges in the right direction. Thank you.

Nefsokar: get them while you can, they are or are about to be out of circulation. So since you have a thing for ancient Egypt prioritize on them.

Nefsokar: get them while you can, they are or are about to be out of circulation. So since you have a thing for ancient Egypt prioritize on them.

say again now. Why would that be?

I hope I am wrong. Maybe I have them mixed up with the Reptus or something. But, the number of models in circulation is limited to 500-ish. So, as new things are introduced older ranges go out of circulation. More complete explanation here:

Shakandara's Post

I believe the Reptus and Nefsokar are already out of production which means they don't show up in Casketworks any more and you probably won't find many of the models at the FLGS. But don't fret if you want to start any of those factions at a later date as you can always get the models directly from Reaper.

First off let me say good choice on your first faction. Also good choice on Vandorendra, her stats are so awesome I have one of her in almost every list I make.

For a second faction I would suggest the Sisters of the Blade. Its a nice "Good" army to counter your "Evil" army if you are running demos with them, and I like the versatility you can get with the army. I was drawn to the faction because I already had several of the models and the cavalry are giant ferrets.

Edited by Humansquish

Pick the army with models you'd like to paint.

Seriously, get the one with the most "Ooo! I wanna paint that one!" figs in it for you. You'll get it finished sooner and get right to playing.

I have Crusaders, Reven, & Necropolis for one of each (Good, Neutral, Evil). The Crusaders have a few cool leader/elite figs that caught my eye (Kristianna, etc.) and the grunts are super easy (I can paint an Unforgiven or Ironspine in about 15-20 minutes). I just like the look of the bull orcs, the ogres, and the beastmen, so that makes painting them fun. For the undeadies, what's easier than a skellie? Plus I loved painting Gauntfield.

For me, those armies have the added bonus of the minis being dead useful for RPGs like D&D. Orcs, armored soldiers, & skeletons get frequent rotation.

As a fan of non-horse cavalry, the SoB ferret riders already has my attention. That is cool. I'll have to look deeper into that. By the same token, the BSG beetle riders look very cool, but IIRC, they used to be part of the Darkspawn army, or at least affiliated with them, so it's going to take a strong take to convince to go that direction.

I do like the idea of having at least one each of evil-neutral-good armies for Warlord. Nefdokar could be the nuetral, and the ferret-riding Sisters could be the good army. The future is a little clearer, but I'm still listening.

I think most of my Warlord buying is done. Unless I find a group that plays weekly. But, over the years I've had both Dwarfs, both elves, Crusaders, Necro, Sisters, Mercs (had forces for all three subfactions from RC2008), Reven, a BSG army that is all DHLs gnomes and hobbits and a Nefsokar proxy that is all the old DHL Highlanders and if I were buying anything new it would be the Nefsokar. They are just the best faction imo as far as the looks go overall. Almost all of the sculpts are great.

I do plan to add the ferrets to my sisters and the owlbears to my elves.

• 1 month later...

I think I'm leaning towards Crusaders for my good faction after coming up with this list:

1000 pts, Paladins of Light

1. Jehanne (+book of tactics), Isarah (+mag weap), Lady Devona, Lion's !ancer (mus), 2x IC Loght Lancers

2. vernone (+mag weap), Halbarad, 2x IC Archers, 4x War dogs

3. sister Majeda, Saranonde, 2x Hospitaliers, 4x War dogs

4. Guardian Beast

5 & 6. Celestial Lions

24 models, 6 troops, 2 Tact & 2 spy

Overall speed is good, and with all those Restore casters, I think that attrition is as viable a tactic as the divine beast alpha strike.

Just looking at your list and hoping you don't mind if I pick at it a bit...

1. Your current list is 1100 points, not 1000.

2. I love war dogs. But, they need to work with something else, not just be by themselves. They don't have enough swings by themselves to be main troops. Believe me, I have tried.

3. Your list as it is now does not take full advantage of the Warlord's Ability or really even the Paladins of Light Doctrine. There are some nice points to it for sure and I know the summoning of the solos will be a nice trick in the beginning, but overall, its just not very synergized. For example, I would think it would be much more beneficial to put a familiar on Isarah, letting her regenerate her used spell points and allowing her to possibly cast one of her big spells twice, instead of giving her a magic weapon that doesn't help her that much.

4. You have lots of healing casters in your list, but unfortunately, most of the fighting part of your list are all 1 track models that healers wont help.

Again apologies for shredding your list up like that, but just trying to help you see some of the thought processes you might use when building and evaluating your lists.

Oops, forgot to carry the "1" while doing my mathe. Good catch. It might be easy enough to drop one Celestial Lion and two Wardogs, and it might still be a cool list, but you brought something up.

Just looking at your list and hoping you don't mind if I pick at it a bit...

3. Your list as it is now does not take full advantage of the Warlord's Ability or really even the Paladins of Light Doctrine. There are some nice points to it for sure and I know the summoning of the solos will be a nice trick in the beginning, but overall, its just not very synergized. For example, I would think it would be much more beneficial to put a familiar on Isarah, letting her regenerate her used spell points and allowing her to possibly cast one of her big spells twice, instead of giving her a magic weapon that doesn't help her that much.Again apologies for shredding your list up like that, but just trying to help you see some of the thought processes you might use when building and evaluating your lists.

I thought mostly about this when I read it. I'm guessing that Jehanne's troop could be a bit bigger (more soldiers), buffer (drop the Light Lancers for another Lion's Lancer), and a bit more variety (adding the archers would take better advantage of jehanne's Focus +2 bonus.) Upon furthur review, the familiar on Isarah does make better sense - she is the offensive caster IIRC. And I'm guessing that the Paladins Doctrine might make better sense in a leader-heavy army, especially with Majeda as one of the leaders.

just based on dropping teo dogs and a lion, would Righteous doctrine make better sense? (Yes, I will be retooling the list AND double-checking my math after doing so... the theme itself seemed liek a good idea.)

PS< no apologies neccesary, but accepted.