03077: Goblins II

Ferox

Ben Siens' goblins are a lot of fun to paint. Maybe I'm biased -- his first set (02481: Goblin War Band) is one of the first Reaper blisters I picked up -- but I like how the little guys manage to be both goblin-y cannon fodder and respectable fighting critters at the same time.

post-5715-129644918857_thumb.jpg

These guys were an experiment in a number of ways. For one thing, I tried a trick dks suggested via PM: painting on thinned sealer after priming for a smoother coat. I don't know that it worked too well here, but admittedly I didn't prep these guys very carefully. For another, the dark blue is RMS Twilight Blue, which ought to serve well as a replacement for the blue-grey mix I used on one of these Hormagaunts. Since I'm likely to be using it a fair bit in the near future as I paint up the Everblight battle box, I'm happy to get some experience highlighting and shading it. And finally, the goblin priest there is pretty obviously a Menite. That's good experience for painting up my friend's Protectorate-warjack birthday present, but if the idea of god-addled goblins lighting everything around them on fire doesn't amuse you... there's something wrong.

post-5715-12964491959941_thumb.jpg

This group's a bit of a speed-paint: I'd say I have about 4-5 hours in them total, painting in assembly-line fashion. That's about as quickly as I like to paint these days: it leaves me time to work with relatively thin paints and get at least glancingly smooth blends.

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... but if the idea of god-addled goblins lighting everything around them on fire doesn't amuse you... there's something wrong.

Only thing better is when they blow everything up.

Ben Siens is one of my favorites, too. Love his monstrous humanoids and anything he does that snarls.

These look great!