My new Dungeon Crawl

Shakandara

So for the last 5 years or so, I've been running Dungeon Crawls at conventions as a way to introduce players to the Warlord game. Thanks to a good friend, up until this weekend, I'd been using his large collection of Dwarven Forge stuff to lay out a pretty decent Crawl that could support six players at a time. The games would run about an hour to an hour and a half, and I'd continously reset the Crawl throughout the day. It ran more like a demo than a normal slot game. For the last 2 years or so, I've had it in my head that I wanted to build a bigger, better Crawl from Hirst Arts stuff. I wanted to be able to support more teams, have the overall appearance of the Crawl be more cohesive, have the event last longer, and most importantly, be easier to setup. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciated using that Dwarven Forge stuff, but it was a PITA to setup and tear down the dungeon at a con. Even with a couple of helpers, it would take at least a hour to pull all the pieces and assemble the Crawl correctly. All that changed this past weekend.

OwlCon (at Rice University) has become my "home" convention, and a few months back when pondering what I was going to do for my events for it this year, I decided that it was time to kick the Crawl project into high gear, and finish it. I set my goal to have it completed before the con, registered the event in the new format (8 players at a time, and as a full-slot game rather than as a demo), made a construction schedule, and started work on it. I quickly fell behind schedule in December due to the holidays and some illness, but thanks to some fellow forum members, and a number of local gaming friends, I was able to complete the necessary work on the Crawl at 3am Saturday morning. I'm quite pleased with the results, and very thankful for all the people who volunteered and did such a great job helping me finish the Crawl. Here are the pics from the weekend. Hope you enjoy them!

OwlCon 2011 Dungeon Crawl pics

~v

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Brunnwald: Yes, resin is poured over it. It is the singularly most expensive tile in the dungeon because of it, but I think its effect was worth the price. There are also 10 painted fish (from the Reaper sea creatures pack) buried in the resin in the various tiles as well.

@Jeff: It's a lot to move (it fills 5.5 25-gallon storage containers when packed away with padding), but if Reaper asks me to bring it, I'd consider it.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. FWIW, it's not done, either. I got it to what I considered to be the "bare-minimum" that it needed to be at to be ready for the con. There is still more scenery to add it, details (especially in the Gothic section), and a number of doors. Fortunately, the board is completely functional without those elements, so I can now take my time with the other stuff, adding them as I go. I will also probably begin building some replacement sections for the dungeon in the near future, so that I can swap out tiles for a slightly different appearance.

~v

Stop it. You guys are starting to give me a complex. :;):

No, really, thanks for the kind words. It makes me happy to hear that people think it turned out so well. It justifies all those late nights and weekends skipping pretty much everything else to get it done.

~v

Looks even better in person: the pictures don't do the layout justice since you don't appreciate the scale until you see it in person.

I hear that Vince will be bringing a pair of binoculars next time so that he can see the action on the far side of the board. :;):

Ron