Post-apocalyptic novels

vejlin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm in post-apocalyptic kind of mood, and I think I'll read a novel after turning in my thesis in 20 days. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Postman. Ignore the movie (which despite the rep Costner gets, was still OK). The book was fantastic, and I read it in 1 day! Also David Brin is one of my favorite SF writers.

Tangent: I follow David on FB, and he ran a photo caption contest giving away free swag. I won, and I got an autographed copy of The Postman, a book sticker also autographed, a bookmark, and the photo in question also autographed. Very cool!

Damon.

Depending on how long after 'post-apocalypse' you want to go, there was Robert Adam's "Horseclans" series and Michael Moorcock's "Hawkmoon" series.

More closer to post-apocalypse time, there was also Richard Austin's "The Guardians" series...which was more of a "Twilight 2000" type setting.

Eternity Road is a very good novel by Jack McDevitt that takes place hundreds of years after the fall civilization. From the summary on McDevitt's website:

In a town near a place that used to be Memphis, people wonder who built the big concrete strips that cross the land, and what purpose they served. The answers, according to legend, could be found in a distant place called Haven, where the treasures of a civilization ravaged by plague had been hidden.

Of course nobody believed any of it. Except Karik Endine and a few intrepid souls who trusted him when he said he knew where Haven was. So they plunged into the wilderness, following the rock-hard strips. Nine months later Endine returned alone, exhausted and defeated. The others were all dead, he explained, victims of accidents and attacks by barbarians. And if Haven existed, it wasn't where he'd expected to find it.

The town does not easily forget or forgive its losses. Endine becomes a recluse and eventually walks into the Mississippi. At a memorial service, his son is shocked to find a copy of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Mark Twain had been known only through a few fragments. The conclusion: Endine had indeed found Haven. It was a magnificent success on his part. But why had he denied it?

There are also a few good post apocalyptic type short stories in his Cryptic collection. McDevitt tends to write stories that are archaelogical mysteries in a way.

I also recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz and The Postman.

There is also The Road by Cormac McCarthy which is well written, but extremely bleak.

The Road is a good one. If you ever get the chance to pick up the original versions, the Dark Future novels by Games Workshop are really wacky, and fun. They've since re-released them, but apparently they updated the cultural references (the books were done in the early '90s) and there are some inconsistencies.

So I'm in post-apocalyptic kind of mood, and I think I'll read a novel after turning in my thesis in 20 days. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Earth Abides, George R. Stewart, 1949

This might be the grand-daddy of the genre. It won the very first International Fantasy Award (1951). (The final IFA was given in 1957 to The Lord of the Rings.) Lesson from the book: the most useful tool to have after the 'apocalpse' is a ball-peen hammer because, with the hammer you can generally break into or out of anything you have to in order to obtain whatever else you might need.

Links:

WikiLink, warning: **Spoilers**

Amazon listing: English MMPB