Thumpernicus

I'm Mad as Heck and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Tell the Reaper crew, yourself included Ed, that it's good natured ball bustin' that I send your way on frothers.

One of the last threads I thought your guy didn't get the jokes! What goes on in the back of the El Dorado on frothers won't be makin' any appearances 'round here.

Cheers.

At first, I thought this thread was from a troll. Then I saw that Thumper was Black Lightning, and had been around for awhile. That got me curious, so I started reading his past posts, and I think I know what he's upset about:

First, he's a CAV player, and I can understand him being upset with the recent things going on with CAV. Secondly is his comment from another thread long ago:

By far Sandra Garrity is the best sculptor in the Knowne World. Her attention to detail is superior, proportion and scale are always a consistant feature and not many people know how much research of costume, weapons, equipment etc. she puts into her work. She makes sculptures that suspend my disbelief and I look at them and am always able to say, "That very well 'could' be real!". She is MY hero for creating such spectacular miniatures for me to collect, paint and help immerse me into the games I play, thus making the whole gaming experience more fun.

Looking through the recent releases, Sandra hasn't been doing much for Reaper these days - at least not in comparison to the rest of Reapers sculpting stable.

Tell the Reaper crew, yourself included Ed, that it's good natured ball bustin' that I send your way on frothers.

One of the last threads I thought your guy didn't get the jokes! What goes on in the back of the El Dorado on frothers won't be makin' any appearances 'round here.

Cheers.

I love frothers, what's your name on that board so I can sand the fuzzy?

However, since I feel differently, it is my duty to share my thoughts with Reaper because if I never said how I felt, they would never know.

And for that I will thank you. While I cannot say we will act on, change X, or even appear to care, I will say that several 'Reaper' people read this board and threads like this are discussed. This thread in fact was discussed today at length between Matt, myself and others during our lunch.

I believe Matt has expressed above, with his example, the fundamental way we approach sculpting. It is based as much as possible on the technical merits of the piece and not the abstract, subjective or compositional merits. One thing I learned day one was that if I 'liked' a piece, it was getting canceled and its sales would be bad. No idea why that is, but my tastes apparently run counter to the mainstream likes of most of our customers. I will agree with you about the pose. BUT for me the technical execution is very nice.

In the end we are a small company. We make good decisions and bad decisions side-by-side everyday. We attempt to learn from those decisions and sometimes we do.

But never hesitate to post your thoughts here openly. Like you said, we would never know if you didn't say it.

Reaper minis cancel, drop, discontinue or otherwise "downsize" so many of it's programs, incentives, perks, swag, games

You are correct, times are changing and change they must. This last year we canceled almost, if not every program we had. I would expect to see replacements for most programs. At some point in the indeterminable future two new programs will replace the old BL program. One for painters and one for the games. So BL had to go.

Now, good, bad, better handled this way, or that way it could be debated forever. But it is what it is.

For what it's worth, I hope the folks at Reaper are not like GW and actually care about what I have to say.

We do care about what everyone says, except Joshua Slater, aka Tom Kirby of GW notoriety. He is an odd sort and I hate to call him out like this, but he is playing in our backyard :devil:

But never hesitate to post your thoughts here openly. Like you said, we would never know if you didn't say it.

Do you really mean this because the manager at my FLGS thinks Reaper has become increasingly unreachable? Additionally do you really want to hear it? The other half of that equation is if your not going to even address it why should some one say anything to begin with? Some of what I've heard said is a pretty scathing critique of Reaper. If you want I'll let you know what I've heard, and I can either put it out here publicly or PM it to you. Please don't get me wrong I think most of it comes out a genuine interest in Reaper and the fact that your company *is* doing interesting things.

You are correct, times are changing and change they must. This last year we canceled almost, if not every program we had. I would expect to see replacements for most programs. At some point in the indeterminable future two new programs will replace the old BL program. One for painters and one for the games. So BL had to go.

Doing this is super important.

Do you really mean this because the manager at my FLGS thinks Reaper has become increasingly unreachable?

What does this mean? I spoke personally with three retailers on the phone Friday. Does your FLGS not have a phone? We respond to emails, too.

I think sometimes people forget that things like swag, demo teams and other programs are extras that companies give and not entitlements for being a customer.

I like Reaper because they are on the inexpensive end of the spectrum and still make minis better than many of the higher priced lines.

We do care about what everyone says, except Joshua Slater, aka Tom Kirby of GW notoriety. He is an odd sort and I hate to call him out like this, but he is playing in our backyard

I thought you folks hung on every word I say!!! :rolleyes:

I know all the sexy new CAVs will have chainswords and chainmail bikinis!!! :zombie::rolleyes:

Do you really mean this because the manager at my FLGS thinks Reaper has become increasingly unreachable?

What does this mean? I spoke personally with three retailers on the phone Friday. Does your FLGS not have a phone? We respond to emails, too.

Kit PM me because I don't really want hearsay to turn into a crap storm.

Also I want to know if Ed is serious on hearing criticism because I'm not going to waste breath if it is not even considered.

Also I want to know if Ed is serious on hearing criticism because I'm not going to waste breath if it is not even considered.

First, I am an old school troll and post under my name on several forums. I can spot simple picking crap or griefing a mile away, and even if I am wrong, I will not hesitate to drop to the poster's level and even drag them down a notch or two...

SO, post observations, photos, examples, complaints etc. I am serious, someone, and probably me, will read them.

I can already tell you there are a hundred blister of "x" out there with two right wings. BUT I found that out because someone complained and there is a research procedure for every complaint. After getting the complaint the existing inventory is checked and all bad ones are pulled to stop more problems. Then the production data is pulled to see when and how many of "x" were made. This allows us to determine how many bad ones are in the market and let the people that answer the phones fast track the fix when a call comes in. IN FACTon Tuesday of this week, because of a complaint, I went out and discovered 50+ bottles of 09149 in the 09148 bin. We fixed the problem and moved on. We have steps to prevent it, but it happens. BUT IT ALL STARTS WITH A COMPLAINT

Want to complain about customer service? Again. let us know. I'll tag and bag them, but it will not be addressed here in a public forum. Will I fix the problem? Yes, temporarily, until the next person that answers our phone having a bad day and tells you to hump it. Then we rinse and repeat. That is a cycle complaint, but we will listen.

Want to tell me we should have done X or y or handled this that way or published this or canceled that or done this. I will read it, but it's history. Good, bad, nothing can be done but maybe learn something.

Now, you want to tell me 'we suck' 'we bring nothing new to the market' 'we rip IP off' 'we stole x from y' 'we suck' "our scale sucks" "we suck" etc and on and on. Yeah, I'll dance. But don't expect anyone, including me, to take it as anything more than entertainment.

Now, to put this into context concerning responses, changes and results.

- You take the time to post here. IF, I have the time, or someone else has the time they will reply. While it is serious, the method of delivery, a forum, post is not a high profile or urgent form of communication.

- You PM me. That's fine, but I never check that area. Somebody else might check their PMs, but again. Low profile, not urgent.

-You email me or someone here. Higher profile, a little more urgent. It will get discussed and acted on, but a reply can be a long time coming if ever.

-Phone call - Now you have skin in the game and we understand that. You will get your question answered or concern addressed. Probably a follow up call if needed. But if abused by a person, they go on the list~

- Mailed letter. Even more skin in the game. You will get a reply.

So just because you post something does not mean it will get a reply, or answer or even an acknowledgment. Like everything, complaints are prioritized with all other things against the time available. You complain on a bad day or during a bad week, good luck, it might not get read and be buried before anyone has to time available to read and post here.

So, to make it easy, I'll even start a thread here to complain in.

bye

The quality of Reaper miniatures sculpts is going down the toilet. I have a copy of EVERY issue of Casketworks ever printed and I witnessed REAPER rise from mediocre to THE BEST in the MARKET for its quality of sculpts. Now, with a few exceptions, the minis are becoming less detailed and more generic. Even the poses are awkward or less dynamic, some (like the Merisiel mini, doing her King Tut dance) are outright ridiculous.

I do not share your point of view. From what I see at the store, Reaper is on par with any other mini creator. There are some exceptions, such as generic monster packs, but for the rest, the level of detail is about what I would expect for the figure in question. To use hyperbole, I do not expect to be able to see individual cloth fibers on mini's jackets, or each individual rivet in a piece of armor.

I do find it odd, though, that you can blast Reaper for falling detail standards, yet you hold up the Merisiel mini as an example, when that is one of the most detailed and involved mini's I have ever seen, Reaper or otherwise.

The pose is quite ridiculous though.

One more time on Merisiel. This is not a Reaper Miniature, it is a Pathfinder Miniature that was sculpted by Crocodile Games when they held the license. When the license was shifted to Reaper all the existing work that was done by Crocodile Games went with to Reaper as well. That is a Chris Fitzpatrick sculpt and he is one of the best in the business, pose not withstanding.

One more time on Merisiel. This is not a Reaper Miniature, it is a Pathfinder Miniature that was sculpted by Crocodile Games when they held the license. When the license was shifted to Reaper all the existing work that was done by Crocodile Games went with to Reaper as well. That is a Chris Fitzpatrick sculpt and he is one of the best in the business, pose not withstanding.

I assume that is directed, at least in part, towards me. My comment was not regarding the actual designer/manufacturer, but the oddity of using such an intricate and detailed miniature up in the same paragraph in which criticism for having miniatures that lack detail is found.

Is this the case? I don't know, I don't have the numbers and I don't have the time to do the research. But I'm pretty sure those in charge spend time looking for exactly these kinds of patterns to identify where the business is going and what changes need to be made.

It is done, I know we are always looking at distribution sales numbers for particular models as well as our internet orders. Often times we eve have sheets up showing what our popular minis were for a set period of time. So we do track this and it is of course how we decide to remove minis from general distribution.

Of some of the new greens I've seen, in my opinion, quality is going up. I have been particularly impressed by Bobby and Jason's stuff. Both have always been good sculptors but it seems like right now they are really coming into their own and regularly producing off the wall great stuff! And I am a Klockian myself, always have been. I was particularly impressed with a piece of Bobby's that I saw last week.

Quality can be hit or miss with anything. I do find myself admiring a sculptor's ability more than I say I don't like a particular mini though. Also, taste does change as you get older and have been looking at minis. Sculptor's abilities change as well and so do their style. Lots of different factors come into play.

Just my $0.02

PS Reaper can do no wrong in my eyes . . . they sign my paychecks :poke:::P: