Sign in to follow this  
Thumpernicus

I'm Mad as Heck and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Ok... I get it, the economy sucks. Over the past sevaral years I have seen Reaper minis cancel, drop, discontinue or otherwise "downsize" so many of it's programs, incentives, perks, swag, games and now... the ultimate slap into this 15+ year customer's face...

The quality of Reaper miniatures sculpts is going down the toilet. I have a copy of EVERY issue of Casketworks ever printed and I witnessed REAPER rise from mediocre to THE BEST in the MARKET for its quality of sculpts. Now, with a few exceptions, the minis are becoming less detailed and more generic. Even the poses are awkward or less dynamic, some (like the Merisiel mini, doing her King Tut dance) are outright ridiculous.

I am sad to see such a decline in the quality of REAPER product. Some of your stuff is still great, but so much of your new stuff, especially the Chronoscope and latest CAV models are absolutely poor.

Here is my hopes for an improved economy so REAPER can improve its overall product.

While not wanting to dispute your opinion (it is YOUR opinion after all), I can clarify at least one piece of information. Merisiel was acquired via Reaper's assumption of responsibility for the Pathfinder line. That is, I'm 99% sure this miniature was created when Crocodile games had creative control/responsibility for the Pathfinder line.

Regarding minis for pathfinder originally created by Crocodile; Reaper has simply assumed responsibility for casting and distributing these.

The fabulous new Pathfinder minis are done by Reaper.

***edit @ 18:55*** now it's also worth saying that I'm not intending to indict Crocodile. I like alot of their stuff as well.

You are correct Michael. While I don't mind Merisiel, I hope Reaper does a better version of her down the road sometime, as it's one of the most "hated" of the Pathfinder line, or at least whenever negative comments arise, she is usually in them.

One miss, out of how many releases is not that bad if you ask me. I’m more concerned that, I work in a Game shop part time just to help out, with special orders of Reaper figures, my fill rates are 50% using three different distributors. That means that customers have to wait almost two weeks or more, for a miniature, that’s bad.

Do I like all the minis that Reaper puts out? Not really. But do they put out all kinds of minis that appeal to all kinds of people? Youbetcha.

Like anything artistic it's going to be hit or miss. Mostly I feel they hit the sweet spot with their minis. The ones where I don't are personal taste and not anything to do with the business decisions Reaper makes.

If there's minis you want to see there's a couple of threads where you can suggest them and Reaper really does read them. If you really, really want a specific mini commission it.

It may be that you're not fond of some of the sculptors, in which case it's pretty easy to skip over their stuff in favor of ones you do like.

For variety I honestly think Reaper is the best manufacturer around.

I have long felt that Chronoscope sometimes - not all the time - seems to be the line where Reaper takes sculpts that maybe other companies might have passed on. Something I forgive (assuming it is true which it may not be), because the line is still relatively new and they need to fill out the line more quickly.

Otherwise, with all due respect, I think you're crazy.

Many excellent sculpts have been released in recent times. The Pathfinder minis are especially nice, and since Merisiel's pose is based on actual Pathfinder art, you can hardly blame Reaper for it (not that you would have to, since I think it's an excellent model).

Plenty of us can claim Casketworks collections going way back. Plenty of us can claim minis from the oldest of Reaper's sculpts. Speaking as one of those people, the ratio of Reaper models I want to Reaper models I'm turned off on has remained constant over the years, and definitely has not changed for the worse.

Tastes change, times change. Maybe you just don't like change. But please do not assume that new styles are universally hated or that your opinion is somehow objective. Neither is true.

But please do not assume that new styles are universally hated or that your opinion is somehow objective. Neither is true.

First of all, I have assumed neither. Nowhere have I stated either. Just to clarify, I did not make any "ALL" "ALWAYS" "EVERTHING" "REAPER SUCKS" statements. I made my own personal opinion clear in hopes that Reaper will listen to one of their longstanding and loyal customers. I actually feel they should want to listen to their customers. That is why I wrote. It is subjective because it is my opinion. Duh. I also do not expect Reaper to cater to only my tastes, I think it is great that they have always had such a wide selection. I just have noticed a decline in the quality of sculpts over the last few years to the point where I really don't like most of the character models anymore. The monsters, however, have always been great since Mr. Wiebe raised the bar so high in that arena. You cannot tell me straightfaced that the latest additions of CAV and Chrono minis have been made with the same level of quality that Reaper is KNOWN for. These are just examples. I do not want people to think that Merisiel, The Excelsior CAV and Professor Kraken are the only minis I have a problem with. I feel many (not all) releases as of late have not met the high standards I have come to expect from a company that has already proven they can do better. "D&D minis" from WotC have been and always will be utter crap compared with Reaper and I am seeing more and more of the styles of D&D minis creep into the Reaper line and it, frankly, scares me.

This is my opinion. It is meant to be constructive and not flaming Reaper (I still love them). I feel like the parent who sees his child earning C's when they had been earning A+'s.

I am not here to debate with Reaper zealots. I get it. Reaper can do no wrong in your eyes. That's fine. Good for you.

However, since I feel differently, it is my duty to share my thoughts with Reaper because if I never said how I felt, they would never know.

For what it's worth, I hope the folks at Reaper are not like GW and actually care about what I have to say.

Edited by Thumpernicus

Reaper has not much to do with CAV right now. The new CAV are from the designer of a game called Rogue Legion, and he imported previous work he had done over to the Reaper catalog.

Well to get away from people calling each other zealots and such... this should be pretty easy to resolve with a little bit of research. Every year reaper pulls a number of minis from general distribution, based on sales (at least that's how I have understood previous posts on here). These minis are categorized as "Not In Catalog" (NIC).

So if there is a drop in quality this should be easy to identiy from looking at the models that are NIC'ed every year. If quality was indeed dropping I would expect the average age of NIC'ed models to go down. I would expect the average age of miniatures in the catalog to go up.

Is this the case? I don't know, I don't have the numbers and I don't have the time to do the research. But I'm pretty sure those in charge spend time looking for exactly these kinds of patterns to identify where the business is going and what changes need to be made.

I'm not a Fan Boy of any mini maker. The thing I like about Reaper is the diversity of their range. There are minis I absolutely love & others that cause a gag reaction, but it is rare that a new release of minis doesn't have at least one that I can't live without painting. Changes in the quality of the minis I've noticed is more a matter of changes in individual sculptor's style rather than changes in the quality of the range as a whole.

As far as critiquing the minis, it probably shows a greater devotion to the mini maker & the craft in general to offer harsh criticism of what you don't like than to gush over what you do.

I agree with the OP on some points. I've said it before that I think some of the Chronoscope figures are more poorly sculpted than the other lines. Plenty of awkward poses and rubber arms in there. I've been voicing my opinion by not buying them.

The quality issue that is starting to bug me most is the increase in poorly cast or miscast figures. It used to be that any Reaper figure I picked up was nearly perfect. Maybe a few faint mold lines, but generally good to go out of the blister. More and more I am getting misaligned casts and figures with lumpy bases and missing limbs. If it weren't for my ability to exchange these at Reapercon, I'm sure the local shopowner would be dreading my visits to exchange product.

I know Reaper does a huge volume of business and I have seen how fast figures get cast, but man, you guys need to step up the QA a notch.

I'm not defending or condemning anyone for their opinions on the subject, but I would genuinely like to hear what is "bad" here.

OK, so if the question is quality...

Other than pose (which is an aesthetic thing, either you like it or you don't) please explain how this is a poor quality sculpture?

Personally, to some level, I don't care for the pose much myself, but...

In my humble opinion

All of the proportions are as they should be.

The things that are, in this industry, typically, artificially increased in size, like the head (especially eyes), hands, weapon thickness, are where they should be.

The detail is abundant, clean, and crisp with nice sharp edges.

The sculpture captures very well the essence of the character and translates it to 3-D, especially at this small scale.

Throwing out that Reaper only casts this mini and Reaper is not really responsible for it's existence, concept, approval from Paizo, or otherwise, I'm not sure how anyone could use this model as an example of Reaper's quality going down.

Chris over at Croc Games did a technically fantastic job of sculpting this model.

Based on this model alone, and the level of skill it displays, I know I would love to have him do more work for Reaper, but alas, Chris is doing his own thing.

60013_w_1.jpg60013_w_2.jpg

Pathfinder3_Rogue.jpg

This thread would be so much better on frothers!!

I know :)

But this is Matt's area and we play nice~

bye