ReaperCon Classes for 2011!

Vaitalla

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, but I would love to know which classes are paint along. I've enjoyed that format in the past and found it extremely helpful to be able to attempt the techniques right there with the instructors' feedback. I know a few classes aren't appropriate to this format (Anne's color theory class was great just taking notes), but those that cover a specific topic (NMM, faces, certain colors, etc) really benefit from painting along.

Help?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the classes are paint along classes. Some of the advanced ones are not because of the amount of preparation that is needed. Something like OSL needs a mini that is already mostly painted to be shown effectively. Good question, I think if you give us a list of the classes you are interested in we can probably tell you one way or another.

• Artists

The classes I'm doing this year are all paint along. Flesh and Faces, Other Source Lighting and Transparent Cloth. Generally there's just time to practice a slice of the topic. Like for Flesh and Faces we might do the face, torso and an arm of one person in one skin tone. For Other Source Lighting we might do the cloak or another item fairly close to the light source. But while we're painting I discuss the larger overview of the topic (different skin tone colours or different textures in OSL) and I give you a handout so you can review that later.

My real name is Rhonda Bender, and olliekickflip's is Aaron Lovejoy, since the class list references those and not our online nicknames.

Though as an avid student of many, many classes in past years, I will say that there are watch and listen type classes from which I got a ton of value. That style of class can let you really focus how someone else handles a brush and dilutes their paint and so on, and allows the instructor to go over a broader range of topics, or one topic in a lot more detail.

We are gonna get down and dirty Haldir! I'll go over the basics like airbrush maintenance and paint prep. Then we'll go over painting and masking of vehicles as well as you standard size fig! I will bring lots of examples for people to check out so you can see the different possibilities that an airbrush offers! I am also open to people bringing one of their own models that they want airbrushed and we can work on that as well. Just let me know in advance so I can be ready for it.

I was considering your flesh/faces class, and Aaron's airbrush session, as well as at John's Basic NMM and possibly Sue's Hair.

I'd also like to take a basic class w/my son (13 yrs). Any recommendations? I was thinking about Shannon's Speed Paint or Army classes.

Aaron, I assume the airbrush class is not bring your own gear, but we'd pass one brush around or something (I'm just imagining 5 people lugging their compressors into one of the classrooms...). Is that right?

We are gonna get down and dirty Haldir! I'll go over the basics like airbrush maintenance and paint prep. Then we'll go over painting and masking of vehicles as well as you standard size fig! I will bring lots of examples for people to check out so you can see the different possibilities that an airbrush offers! I am also open to people bringing one of their own models that they want airbrushed and we can work on that as well. Just let me know in advance so I can be ready for it.

Hmmm sounds like I might have anther class to take, ha ha.

I can airbrush & I can use the darn thing but hey extra help & watching someone better then me is always a good thing! Epically after my semi-disaster last Saturday in regards to using acrylics for the first time with my 'brush. I'm a lacquer user so it threw me a bit.

thanks for the info!

RM

I was considering your flesh/faces class, and Aaron's airbrush session, as well as at John's Basic NMM and possibly Sue's Hair.

Hair with Sue and that Glazing class of mine are both very much hands on with a handout as well. The first thing I tell you is to drop the pen/pencil and pick up your brush. The two classes are the same techniques applied differently.

I'll probably always stick with the hands-on for these classes, because I once kidnapped Anne (Vaitalla) for a week and forced her to make me a better painter. She showed me feathering and glazing for like 5 minutes, then I did it on a mini I had - small portion of a viking's cloak. With a nudge from Anne, I did it pretty well! Then I immediately applied it to my first dragon and took a Games Day Bronze. ::D: Thus proving to me the benefit of seeing AND doing for these techniques I'd been trying to do on my own for almost a year without success. Never did finish that viking...

Oh, and thanks for the heads up Rhonda!

Hello everyone. Like most of the other classes, all of mine will be hands on. My real world name is Michael Proctor (like 888Michael didn't give it away).

The shaded metallic's classes and special effects will have some demo but then a lot of hands on application....

Oh, the basing composition class will also be hands on.... Basing building and base painting...

Looking forward to ReaperCon!!!!

And a big thank you to everyone who has signed up for my classes!!! THANKS!!!!!

m

Photography will be 1/2 and 1/2. There's a lot to show and talk about. Of course, I want you to bring your camera, your camera's manual/instructions and a power supply (if possible) so time-outs don't interrupt the 1/2 that's not lecture.

For the Dremel/Rotary Tool class: I've got two Rotary tools; one a Wizard Brand, the other a Dremel Battery operated. The class will be as hands-on as it can be depending on who brings their tools AND safety glasses. I do believe that I'll see if the powers that be will allow me to make safety glasses a requirement for attendance in the class. If not, then I'd better save up as I'm going to provide 'em. They are just that important.